Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

whoa! I am SLOOOOW! (Read 555 times)

Ready2LearnMeg

I am a brand new runner/jogger and I am capable of running the 5k and have now about 3 different times. However, I am slower than MOLASSES! I enjoy it and certianly enjoy the accomplishment. I started running/jogging about 2 months ago because I had some much needed weight to lose. Also, it has always been something I wanted to do. ALWAYS. So in a way its like a dream come true. I started losing weight around the end of August and started at 225lbs. I now weigh somewhere around 190lbs. I am unsure if the reason for my ridiculously slow speed is because of my weight, or just starting out or what...? If I am following the 5k program I should be handleing the 3 mile jaunt in roughly 30 minutes. When I came home the first time from my run and realized it had taken me an hour!----I was so defeated! Anyone suffering from this!?!??!

Meg

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Don't sweat it. The important thing is time on feet, not how fast you go. I run slowly for a lot of reasons, not the least that it's a great way to avoid injury. I ran to fast (for me, still slow to others) when I first started running. got injured then smartened up and scrapped typical training programs for low heart rate training/running approach of Dr Phil Mafetone (see Low HR Training forum here on RA). Am now running more miles and more time than without injury. And, of course, enjoying it more!

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

obiebyke

Meg--

Welcome! Ignore the miles part of C25K. Nah, you shouldn't be running the 3 mile jaunt in roughly 30 mins. It's an either/or thing, and the best is to do for time. So if you're running for 30 minutes, even if it's one mile, you're doing it! Speed will come slowly.

That is some incredible weight loss, btw! Wow! Not sure how tall you are and what your goal weight is, but weight can absolutely contribute to "slowness." Also, fitness and pace take a long long time to build. Just enjoy where you are now. You're doing great! It's always good, fyi, to open your log to us so we can take a look.

(And yes, I'm slow, too.)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

freckles

well done on your weight loss! that's awesome.

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

Ready2LearnMeg

Don't sweat it. The important thing is time on feet, not how fast you go. I run slowly for a lot of reasons, not the least that it's a great way to avoid injury. I ran to fast (for me, still slow to others) when I first started running. got injured then smartened up and scrapped typical training programs for low heart rate training/running approach of Dr Phil Mafetone (see Low HR Training forum here on RA). Am now running more miles and more time than without injury. And, of course, enjoying it more!

Thanks! I appreciate that. I actually think I may have possibly made my knee a little tender the other day trying to speed things up...Now I am not sure how long I should stay off of it. I am going  to look into that Low HR Training. That sounds really good. Thanks so much for your input. Smile

Ready2LearnMeg

Meg--

Welcome! Ignore the miles part of C25K. Nah, you shouldn't be running the 3 mile jaunt in roughly 30 mins. It's an either/or thing, and the best is to do for time. So if you're running for 30 minutes, even if it's one mile, you're doing it! Speed will come slowly.

That is some incredible weight loss, btw! Wow! Not sure how tall you are and what your goal weight is, but weight can absolutely contribute to "slowness." Also, fitness and pace take a long long time to build. Just enjoy where you are now. You're doing great! It's always good, fyi, to open your log to us so we can take a look.

(And yes, I'm slow, too.)

WOW!!!!!! Seriously!? Either/or! I have been beating myself up! LOL!  Like I said I run/jog for about an hour, that seems to be challenging enough, with out killing me.Thank you for the weight loss encouragement. I am 5'3" and still have a long way to go. My goal weight is somewhere between 140-150...I guess just whatever feels right and healthy...I think the dr.s would recomend around 130...but that seems a bit small to me...hmmm. We shall see. Smile I would LOVE to open my log! HOW!?!?!? I would love to post a picture too! HOW?!?!? This site is brand new to me and I ell like I cannot the swing of it! I am a whiz at facebook but not this one! hahah!----Meg

Ready2LearnMeg

well done on your weight loss! that's awesome.

Thank  you so much! I have a bunch still to lose but I am sure I will keep you all posted!

obiebyke

Meg,

Looks like you figured out how to open up your log, huh? Beat me to it. Nice.

So, from the looks of your log, you're way past the C25K program, huh? Have you tried One Hour Runner? I like having a plan after hitting one goal, to keep me going.

If you can swing it, I'd try having just one rest day between runs. Gives you more time on your feet and more results, and that's usually what the C25K calls for.

Keep rockin' it.

Ready2LearnMeg

Meg,

Looks like you figured out how to open up your log, huh? Beat me to it. Nice.

So, from the looks of your log, you're way past the C25K program, huh? Have you tried One Hour Runner? I like having a plan after hitting one goal, to keep me going.

If you can swing it, I'd try having just one rest day between runs. Gives you more time on your feet and more results, and that's usually what the C25K calls for.

Keep rockin' it.

Hahahh! Yeah, I think I figured it out. I even just now posted a pic. Whats the One Hour Runner?? Where do I find that baby?? NAd yes, I would like to shoot for another goal.... Smile I will look for it, maybe if you have a link?? Thanks!

obiebyke

This is OHR. I did it a couple years ago and now I'm back to C25K. I'll be joining you in OHR soon!

Ready2LearnMeg

This is OHR. I did it a couple years ago and now I'm back to C25K. I'll be joining you in OHR soon!

okay, soooo it's the forum??? I really should learn more about what I am talking about. ugh.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Meg - in my best days as a runner, I never *raced* a 30 minute 5k... so no, I certainly never got to the point where I was doing both 3 miles in 30 minutes in training.  Ha ha ha ha ha.... Some folks can do it.  But certainly not everybody!

Sounds like you're off to a good start.  Welcome!

Roads were made for journeys...

obiebyke

Meg,

In my post, if you click on the word "this" it takes you to the One Hour Runner program. Blue words are usually links to other sites.