Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Scheduled Runs or Not? (Read 241 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Do you have scheduled run times? Or do you just run on certain days whenever you can fit it in? For me, I run Tuesday and Thursday at 5pm when my husband gets back from work so he can stay with our children (1y and 4y). My other run is usually Saturday, but I'm not as strict about the timing; I prefer about 930 am, but I go out for breakfast every second Saturday so on those days, it tends to be a late afternoon run. I love morning runs but it just isn't practical with our kids most days.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Wingz

Professional Noob

If I'm supposed to run on a work day, I need to get it in before work or it'll never happen. Otherwise, I run "whenever" but that really means early with this summer heat... Black eye

Roads were made for journeys...

obiebyke

I hate mornings, so usually I run after work. I definitely have to schedule runs ahead of time, not because I have too many inflexible obligations, but because then I'll actually do it!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I have pretty much the exact same schedule as you. On Tues and Thurs I wait until DH is home from work to watch the kids and Sat I run whenever but try to get it done in the morning. Every once in a while something comes up and I end up doing M,W,S (like last week DS had pnemonia). But I just try and work it in when I can with DH and kids.
          Yelie

running buddies

I'm obviously the odd man out, because I only run in the mornings. If the dogs don't get out in the mornings to get some energy burned off, they wrestle all over the house, and if I don't get out in the mornings, I just don't get out. So we are out every day, either walking or running. My kids are older, so there is lots of after-school chauffeuring that needs to be done, and then dinner and more chauffeuring. Plus, I'm just too lazy to shower twice. Anyone else run in the mornings? I'm curious what other morning runners do as far as eating before a run. So far, I just have a cup of tea and go, but I'm wondering if I'm going to run out of gas once I'm running farther.
            "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)

More turtle than hare...

I run random days, but like runswithdogs, I'm more a morning runner. If I don't do it in the morning, I just don't do it. (By the way, it's not lazy not to want to shower twice, it's being thrifty with the water. Wink ) So far, I just have a couple sips of water before I go (too much makes me queasy), but I suspect if I'm going farther more will be needed. Before I lapsed, I remember eating a couple bites of yoghurt and a quarter bagel a half hour before I went out. I think I've a ways to go before pre-run sustenance is needed again, though.
              jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I try to run first thing in the morning now that it is hot/humid season. I can't eat anything before I run. When it was cooler out, I would wait and run at noon. By then, breakfast was far enough behind me, and I wouldn't eat lunch until I got back. I try and run every other day, but that isn't always easy.
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Anyone else run in the mornings? I'm curious what other morning runners do as far as eating before a run. So far, I just have a cup of tea and go, but I'm wondering if I'm going to run out of gas once I'm running farther.
                  I don't eat in the hour before running, but if I do yoga in the morning, a banana half an hour before doesn't upset me. This might be one of those trial and error, personal things.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

50 halfs by age 50

I've always run on M, W and Sat. M and W used to be my daughter's soccer practices, so I would run while she was there. Just kinda stuck with it. I've added Fri because I only work half day and my youngest has dance on Thursday night. M, W, F after work, Sat morning. Fri is always really short and easy. I don't eat unless I'm running more than 5 or 6 miles. I usually have half a bagel but have to eat an hour before I go out or I have stomach issues.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I don't eat unless I'm running more than 5 or 6 miles. I usually have half a bagel but have to eat an hour before I go out or I have stomach issues.
                      My highschool cross country coach had a good saying for that: you eat it, you see it. Tongue Quite literal, but he was right about eating too much just before a run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Right now I kind of schedule my runs by default. I do them on the days when I don't have something else going on that prevents me from running. I'm so envious of people who can get up in the morning in run. I am so NOT a morning person! Fortunately, my schedule accommodates evening runs. I sometimes wonder if all of the high school and college running set my schedule. Practice was always at 4pm or so, and I've never been able to adjust to an exercise schedule any earlier in the day. Though, I do realize that if my evening schedule prevented me from running, I would be able to find an alternative time to run - and I'd eventually get used to it. One of my goals is to get better at pre-planning my week in advance, so that my runs are more definitively scheduled. I've got a spreadsheet where I mark the days where other activities that I have going on into the future and it gives me a good picture of what days are available.
                        ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer

50 halfs by age 50

My highschool cross country coach had a good saying for that: you eat it, you see it. Tongue Quite literal, but he was right about eating too much just before a run.
                          So true! I did a 10K at Disney a couple years ago (Race for the Taste) where they were serving buffalo wings as pre-race food. I told the serving guy if I ate that before a race they'd find it on the course around mile 4 Dead

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine