Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread: jan. 4-10 (Read 185 times)

My second run of the year... I ran 5k, but it wasn't easy. I felt some muscular pain at the back of my legs, from my buttocks to below my knees right from the moment I started running. The moment I went back to walking, it was gone again. Don't know it, but it didn't feel like something 'serious', more like a sort of muscle stiffness. Maybe I should look for the cause yesterday: January 3th is something like Black Friday in the States: start of the winter sales. So dh and I went to Antwerp to do some shopping, and have been 'running' around in the crowds (i.e. even walking at a proper pace was nearly impossible, never seen so many folks around) the whole day. I must admit, I do not especially like shopping during those sales days, but dh always wants to go. Dh is much more frugal than I am, and he does all his cloths shopping during the sales period. But had I known that the city would be so crowded this year, I wonder if I would have gone...

Running in Belgium
    Ann

if you look at my log you'll see that i have been slacking a lot. i decided to do ohr because it gives me something to work for. it's also like a schedule. I did the first day today. it was hard after barely running at all for over a month. my goal was to maintain my usual 12 min pace which i did.
      Goals: Run.
        Second run this week... I planned to run 5K (as I haven't been running during three weeks, I thought I would do only 3 x 5K this week before taking up OHR again), but while running my best friend and former running buddy drove by, and she stopped and we talked and... OK, I only ran 3K, but I had a good chat with my friend that I don't see so frequent anymore since her doctor has forbidden her to run (she has rather serious chondromalacia patellae - runners' knee).

Running in Belgium
        Ann

Seems like we are all struggling a bit this time of year. I was out of town for Christmas and only ran a mile+ every other day or so on the hotel treadmill. My legs were just hurting all the time, evan after when I would use the stairs. I can't figure out what it is either, muscle, tendon? On one leg its near the inside of my shin (but not a shin splint) and on the other leg it's on the outside of my upper thigh. Anyway, when I got back from the trip I had no intentions of taking time off but just wasn't motivated to run at all and ended up taking over a week off. Yesterday was my first run of the year, about 3 miles on the treadmill. I had planned on running the entire time but had to take 1 walk break. I get so hot when I'm on the treadmill. That and taking so much time off and taking it so easy before that I can't just pick up where I left off. I joined a local running club here too. We just started a training program for the half and full marathon in May. I don't really plan on doing evan a half marathon yet, my next goal is a 10k, but maybe being with a group will motivate me to get out there and do it.
          iang999

Well hi folks and happy new year! Difficult to get out where I am as we are having freezing weather so all the pavements are iced up. Went out for a bit and did more than I expected but less than 30 mins which was my aim but it was something. Ran on the road for abit but that is risky even with my flashing armband Cool Lets hope the conditions (legs/weather/work/family...) allow us to keep running.
            Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
            Keep running regularly 3 times a week
            Weight loss
            Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
            Get weekly mileage up to 20
              I had a bad run today. I didn't dress to warm like I usually do, but it just went bad. It was rather cold for this region (-5°C), it was around dusk, and the fog that hang over the country the whole day was still there. I choose an easy route I often run, the traffic free towpath along the canal, but because we have snow these day (unusually as well), it was rather difficult to run there. However, running on snow-free roads meant running on streets with lots of traffic, so I didn't have much choice. OK, at least I didn't skip my run, and probably my next run will be far better. (We have a smog-warning for tomorrow, I hope it will be over on saturday.)

Running in Belgium
              Ann

I didn't have a good run either. I was supposed to run 3 miles but ended up only 2.4 Sad Oh well, that's better than nothing. It was on the treadmill, and I have my first group run outside in the frigid temperatures on Saturday morning. It's supposed to be about -2 F at 8am when our run is scheduled, with a real feel of -17. I am not a morning person so this is going to be miserable!
                  I did my first run outside with the half marathon training group this morning. The temp says -8 F! It actually wasn't as bad as I expected - temperature wise. I had icicles on my eye lashes by the time I was done, but I feel good that I made it out there and did it.
                    Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling to get any running in at all this month! I was doing so well, I had only missed one run since July or August. I was all ready for the final run of One Hour Runner. Then that huge snow storm hit Portland, then Christmas & New Years happened... I missed a couple of weeks, and have only been managing two runs a week, none up to an hour yet. I was sore after two weeks of sitting out! I am getting back into shape, and thankfully the break let my knees rest from the increase in mileage during the OHR program. But boy, is it a struggle to run, what with very busy work days, it getting dark so early, and my 3 hours of commuting every day. I can't wait for our offices to move downtown and the sun to stay out longer. And we'll have no more of those huge snowstorms, thank you very much. Good luck keeping it going, everyone. I know how hard it can be to start up again after a break, or when the season makes it so challenging. Even though I was out only 2 weeks of the last 5 months, it took no time at all for my brain to go back to my sedentary norm of the last 12 years. All the sudden it was like, "Running? What running?" It took some effort of will to get out there again. But I am glad I did!

Goals: 1. Finish One Hour Runner Program 2. Train for and run a 10K in late winter 3. Run a half in late spring 4. Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, Oct 2009

i did day 2 on thursday. i've stopped running outside because i am protesting the cold weather. i run on a 1/9 mile track which is a little boring but hey. i'm feeling frustrated with my pace which is slowing down from when i finished c25k. i was averaging 11 now im at 12. i'm sure it's because i haven't run as much lately. i still having a little trouble finding motivtion but ohr is helping. hopefully i will run tomorrow (well actually today)
                      Goals: Run.
                      iang999

Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling to get any running in at all this month! I was doing so well, I had only missed one run since July or August. I was all ready for the final run of One Hour Runner. Then that huge snow storm hit Portland, then Christmas & New Years happened... I missed a couple of weeks, and have only been managing two runs a week, none up to an hour yet. I was sore after two weeks of sitting out! I am getting back into shape, and thankfully the break let my knees rest from the increase in mileage during the OHR program. But boy, is it a struggle to run, what with very busy work days, it getting dark so early, and my 3 hours of commuting every day. I can't wait for our offices to move downtown and the sun to stay out longer. And we'll have no more of those huge snowstorms, thank you very much. Good luck keeping it going, everyone. I know how hard it can be to start up again after a break, or when the season makes it so challenging. Even though I was out only 2 weeks of the last 5 months, it took no time at all for my brain to go back to my sedentary norm of the last 12 years. All the sudden it was like, "Running? What running?" It took some effort of will to get out there again. But I am glad I did!
                        Cassi, I think you speak for many of us with that post! I did a 30 min run today, just about anyway, it was mild compared to the previous week which had temps down to -10*C so there was no excuse for slacking on my part. But, I do feel better for it and I feel slightly less guilty about the cakes I've eaten over the break (well, my Garmin said I had worked off 360 cals!).
                        Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
                        Keep running regularly 3 times a week
                        Weight loss
                        Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
                        Get weekly mileage up to 20