Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 4/26-5/02 (Read 526 times)

RookieRider

I hope everyone else is having as nice weather as Columbus Ohio is today. I started my week cycling instead of running. This is the first time I've done anything besides running during the c25k but I'm sure I'll be ok.
    2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week
      lancesmom - you wrote in last week's thread that you might be having some difficulties when running with your dog. I am still working on getting my dog to heal. In the mean time, my wife purchased a head halter called the Gentle Leader and my dog will not pull when wearing it. Well, at least he hasn't so far. If you enjoy running with your dog, or like the protection, this product is worth considering. It was about $20 at PetSmart. Also, watch the video or ask for help fitting it. You can find helpful videos on youtube too. For what it's worth, I'm not affiliated with the store nor the product. Smile Best of luck!

Beginner all over again

I seem to have Tibialis Anterior issues here, so I will probably cycle more than run for the next two weeks, see if it clears up any. See you on the bike trail

You Are Beautiful.

YAY! I finished week 6 day 2, "no sweat" today! I did 1 mile in the first 10, .85 mi in the 2nd 10. I felt good until a dog scared me in the last few minutes. I think I'm gonna blame the dog for my .15 loss in the 2nd 10 min interval Tongue And hooray for beating the rain by less than 5 minutes! Anyway, I'm a little apprehensive for the next run, week 6 day 3 (25 min run, no stopping!) but I suppose I'm prepared. I think the fact that I took a *few* days off (umm...5?) due to a shoulder injury from work helped me run a better run today. I didn't want to aggravate it so I worked out last Wed but didn't do any running since like...Tuesday. On a Livejournal c25k forum, I got a laugh out of someone asking if everyone thought about Robert Ullery (the robot voice on the podcasts) as being a sadist and how they would talk back to him. Now whenever I hear him, I have to chuckle.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
          Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

I've got one day left in week three, and today was my off day. So my mom and I went out for walk, and with her knee finally feeling better she wanted to try a week 1 day again. So I ended up doing that with her. Amazing how easy that seemed now! But we'll see how difficult that makes tomorrow Wink So far though, week three has felt GREAT.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Glad to hear your mom's feeling better. I don't know what she had going on, but something that helped me as I was just getting going was icing my knees after every run even if they weren't currently hurting. It helped me keep runner's knee at bay while I was just getting started. (I had a history of starting, getting runner's knee, quitting, waiting a few years, starting again, getting runner's knee again, quitting again... Roll eyes ) And ain't that a great feeling, going back and doing an easier run and thinking, "Gee, this used to seem so hard and now it's easy!" Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

You Are Beautiful.

congrats to both of you, ironbessflint Smile

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

Thanks guys! She's was icing her knee last week, but that's a good idea doing it even if there's no pain. I'll pass it on! About to head out for the end of week three now...storm coming and the wind has picked up like crazy in the last few, so I hope I'm not too late Shocked
                    Week 5 (second week) day 2. Took it slow because I didnt want to tire myself out. I ran both 8 minute sections! Taking it easy and not worrying about timing was a good idea because I did it!
                      I finally figured I am ready to go on from Week Three. Not quite ready, though, to do Week Four. So I compromised, and decided to make up a week 3B for myself. Instead of going right from run three minutes, to run five, I have decided to do a week of going four minutes, It worked out better than my expectations today. Smile Have a good week! Woods Lady
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

So I compromised, and decided to make up a week 3B for myself.
                        Big grin This one is strong with the force... You keep up this level of self-direction and common sense, WL, and you're going to totally crush your goals!

Roads were made for journeys...

RookieRider

ChupChup - I'll check into the Gentle Leader. Thank you for the suggestion. I have heard of the Gentle Leader but hve not tried it. I will look for the Gentle Leader this weekend. My dog, Lance, is a very good boy but since we don't live in a housing development we don't walk on a regular basis during the winter months (I know, I'm a bad dog mom). I'll focus on getting him out on my non running days until he gets used to people, squirrels, etc again. It sure would be nice to have Lance with me when running or riding my bike.
                          2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week

Baby bean!

Oh man, it's amazing what 30 degrees can do!!! It is 88 degrees here and it was NOT easy! Shocked

Goals:
                            Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Oh man, it's amazing what 30 degrees can do!!! It is 88 degrees here and it was NOT easy! Shocked
                              See, I'm headed the other direction... Yesterday was 80 and I had NO PROBLEM leaving the house. Today was in the 40s and I'm ready to go back into hibernation Tongue

My Little Pony hair.

Due to some complete stupidity on my part, I'm getting a late start on this week. I decided that this weekend would be a good weekend to go out with some friends, wore some cute shoes without socks, and ended up with blisters on the back of my achilles, which unfortunately is in the exact same spot where my running sneakers rub (although my work sneakers don't rub it). Since I didn't have much issue at work today, I'm going to give tomorrow a try for a final Week 4 run, and then move on to week 5.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
                                • run 1000k
                                • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races