Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread Aug 3 - Aug 9 (Read 564 times)

erendis

I just read online today that running intervals burns fat 3 times faster than slow running. Not good news for us slow runners.
    just remember that slow running burns fat infinitely faster than sitting on the couch. i love reading running articles for ideas, but sometimes you have to step back and look from a different perspective so you don't get discouraged. however my run went today, no matter how slow or short it was, its much more productive than what I was doing however many weeks ago when daily activity meant walking down the block to get a coffee and muffin in the morning.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
    redleaf

just remember that slow running burns fat infinitely faster than sitting on the couch.
      very nice. Someone once posted a list on another website called the Rules of Running: http://www.pinebeltpacers.org/Rules.htm My particular favourite is number 22: No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch. Earlier this year that person on the couch was me. I may not go fast but I go.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

I finished C25K Week 8 Day 3 today...on to Week 9!!! I even gave it a bit of a sprint for the last 1/2 mile! Big grin Today, I learned that going for a 28 minute run with two giant homemade soft pretzels in your tummy is a bad idea. I was pretty pumped that I still had a nice run despite feeling like I had a brick in my gut!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

I may not go fast but I go.
          Amen! Wink

Today, I learned that going for a 28 minute run with two giant homemade soft pretzels in your tummy is a bad idea.
            Some lessons cannot be learned vicariously. They must be experienced to be appropriately appreciated. Smile Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
              Sounds like everyone is having a great week Big grin Lauren, I must confess, I thought about you on the treadmill yesterday!!! I was closing in on the 28 minute mark, and noticed I was past the 2 mile point, so I decided that I would run until I got to 2.25 miles. It felt so good. Countdown to 5K: 9 days Cool WOOHOO! Week 8 complete Surprised In a way, I can't believe it. Yet, can't remember not being a runner, if that makes sense. Congrats to all in your accomplishments, no matter what week you are on. Your diligence and hard work will pay off, in so many ways! So, it's off to week 9. UNBELIEVABLE. That's all I can say.
              Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

More turtle than hare...

Just a quick reply before I apply sunscreen and hit the street.
                286 miles is the most I've ever done in one week. Longest day was a bit over 70 miles!
                jb - that's astounding!! Simply amazing, good on you!!!
                Don't talk to wonderful men while running or you'll forget to stop.
                Big grin quotidianlight - If talking on the phone is what it takes to keep a "conversational pace," well, I can think of worse things in the world. Wink Congrats on finishing OHR and congrats on the new boy!
                  Some lessons cannot be learned vicariously. They must be experienced to be appropriately appreciated. Smile Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
                  Are you really a circus elephant trainer????

zzz

Are you really a circus elephant trainer????
                    I've been wondering that too. Smile

The young Mama Bear!

Lauren, I must confess, I thought about you on the treadmill yesterday!!! I was closing in on the 28 minute mark, and noticed I was past the 2 mile point, so I decided that I would run until I got to 2.25 miles. It felt so good. Countdown to 5K: 9 days Cool So, it's off to week 9. UNBELIEVABLE. That's all I can say.
                      It's addictive to know you can go for an extra 2 minutes, and it shows you're just as stubborn as I am! Wink I know how you feel. I'm starting W9 tomorrow...WHAT A TRIP.
                      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                        Sounds like everyone is having a great week Big grin So, it's off to week 9. UNBELIEVABLE. That's all I can say.
                        Ernsberger ~ It seems so far away but I can't wait to get to the same place! I'm surprised I'm still with it quite honestly, but have no plans to quit! I hope you and the other '9 weekers' plan to stick around to keep us newbies going! Good job and hope you revel in this 'last week', first goal almost completed yay you! Just curious ~ did you repeat any weeks, and what kind of weight loss have you had?
                        Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I just read online today that running intervals burns fat 3 times faster than slow running. Not good news for us slow runners. I might give it a try though. Here's the link: http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100212332>1=31036
                          But slow running burns more fat than sitting on the couch with an injury. We'll get to intervals. Just have to build up the mileage first to make sure we don't get injured and have to stop running. How exciting to come into this forum and see everyone doing so well at all stages of the game. This place is getting busier and busier. Today is my last run before my first 5K Race on Saturday. I did my longest run (both time and distance) on Tuesday so today will be under 3 miles I suspect. I think it'll be a 30 minute run and no longer. I'm not yet at the 3miles-in-30-minutes.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The young Mama Bear!

I just read online today that running intervals burns fat 3 times faster than slow running.
                            I'd rather be running so slow I truly believe I'm moving backwards for 5 miles than running intervals for 1. At the beginning, everyone is so focused on time...but in the later stages of C25K, you'll find that alot of us changed over to distance. In the long run, that's more important. You can also burn the same amount of fat walking than you can jogging slowly, if you do it for long enough. How fast you're burning it off isn't as important as getting the motivation to do something that actually burns fat in the first place. Everyone is looking great.
                            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                              I just finished my first treadmill workout , and also just completed Week Two, yeah me! I noticed a big improvement with my breathing issues by running in my nice cool, low humidity basement. I was able to work a little harder and even went all out at 5mph on the last 90 second interval! Shocked That was pretty intense - my 16 year old son was just looking at me like 'wow, I didn't know you can do THAT'. He high fived me when I was done! (my son has speech issues and uses a communication device to talk, but in this case, the face said it all ha ha) We leave for vacation Saturday and I plan to continue on since I will be at my parent's house and they have a treadmill, not to mention the beautiful state park they live basically IN. I feel good and I confess I have not even looked ahead to the Week 3 schedule yet, so I have no idea what's in store. Dare I peek? Wink Cheers all!
                              Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                                I ran W4D2 of C25K with Copper this evening. We're exhausted but feeling great. I could have run a bit further. The humidity was not so bothersome today. Glad to read about so much success in this group. Smile I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I am not a circus elephant tender in real life. I'm not connected with a circus nor with elephants in any professional capacity; though my friends and I once piled 17 of us in a hatchback which might get my foot in the door of a clown college somewhere. The truth is one of my sons has a stuffed elephant and I was the one in charge of making sure it came home when we traveled. In real life I develop embedded software for planes and GPS systems. Circus elephant tender is much cooler. Trust me. Though I would guess that in both professions the key to success is to keep the crap to a minimum.