Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread Aug 3 - Aug 9 (Read 564 times)

At the beginning, everyone is so focused on time...but in the later stages of C25K, you'll find that alot of us changed over to distance. In the long run, that's more important.
    I'm curious about this. If I were to switch to distance from time, it would be a much bigger jump in mileage. For example, during week 7 I was running 2.1 miles roughly in 25 minutes (@ 5mph). Adding 3 minutes for week 8, I'd be going up a reasonable 10% to 2.3 miles. BUT if I switched to distance, I'd be doing 2.75 miles or a 30% increase Confused Also from running 25 minutes to 33 minutes (instead of 28). Do people switching from time to distance have issues with the big jump? Do you repeat a week to compensate or anything?
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

O, if you feel it's a jump in mileage to switch over, then don't feel you have to. You don't want to increase your mileage more than 10% per week or you risk injury. You will get to 5K in time. I stayed on time the whole time and I have no regrets about doing it that way. I'm almost a month finished C25K; I don't run 5K in 30 minutes, but I'm improving. I'm building endurance by running on time. I think as a new runner, putting in the time is helpful too. I ran 43 minutes the other day and felt great!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I ran 43 minutes the other day and felt great!
        Whoa Big grin You have come such a long way...43 minutes is AMAZING! Shocked Congrats.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

The young Mama Bear!

I'm curious about this. If I were to switch to distance from time, it would be a much bigger jump in mileage. For example, during week 7 I was running 2.1 miles roughly in 25 minutes (@ 5mph). Adding 3 minutes for week 8, I'd be going up a reasonable 10% to 2.3 miles. BUT if I switched to distance, I'd be doing 2.75 miles or a 30% increase Confused Also from running 25 minutes to 33 minutes (instead of 28). Do people switching from time to distance have issues with the big jump? Do you repeat a week to compensate or anything?
          It's more personal than anything...I'm not saying everyone does it, but I know that more runners I speak to talk about distance more than time, and are focused as such. Doesn't mean that time isn't as effective, but mileage can help you in (a more concrete) term of training for an actual race. I wouldn't actually tell you to switch right now. You do one or the other, and the disparity right there is too much to be quite honest. Keep doing what you're doing...you're just fine! Once I finish C25K in about a week, I'm probably going to do a "recovery" week of 1.75 miles and crank it up .2 miles ever week thereafter.
          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
          theyapper

On the road again...

What's interesting about this topic on time vs distance is that the OHR program stays with time. I think it's helped me speed up to not worry about how far I go and just set a comfortable pace for the run that allows me to run the time allotted. I think when my easy pace is around 10 m/m, I'll consider switching to distance only.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I think the key issue is that you continue to run at a comfortable pace. The 10% per week rule of thumb is just that. It doesn't apply very well at either low or high miles. Keep in mind that once you have established your base (end of C25K or OHR or what have you) you should not continue to add 10% every single week.
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Whoa Big grin You have come such a long way...43 minutes is AMAZING! Shocked Congrats.
                Thank you. It poured huge raindrops the last mile which was awesome! I looove running in the rain.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I ran 43 minutes the other day and felt great!
                  Blush And here I am stressin over the 3 minute runs for Week 3! I can not wait to be able to run 30 minutes but *whew*, I have a long way to go! I love seeing these comments because it gives me something to look forward too and motivates me!
                  Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                    Ernsberger ~ It seems so far away but I can't wait to get to the same place! I'm surprised I'm still with it quite honestly, but have no plans to quit! I hope you and the other '9 weekers' plan to stick around to keep us newbies going! Good job and hope you revel in this 'last week', first goal almost completed yay you! Just curious ~ did you repeat any weeks, and what kind of weight loss have you had?
                    Cyndi: I'm so excited about starting week 9 tonight! I remember not long ago being in your place and thinking I would die if I ran for 3 minutes. But, here I am, running 29 minutes at a time Big grin It's so awesome that you are moving onto week 3. Actually you will be amazed at how fast the time goes from week to week, and how your body is adjusting. I started my healthy lifestyle change of eating (otherwise known as dieting) on May 6th. I started C25K two week later. I have lost 28 pounds so far, and have 32 more to go. I have not repeated any weeks. I take it very slowly as to avoid injury, which I think has helped in not repeating weeks. And, 8 days until my first 5K...and counting...
                    Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
                      I've just made an executive decision ! I've decided to repeat Week 2, for a couple of reasons. First, I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and I don't think vacation is the time to introduce a new challenge to my life. I am frankly not sure I'm ready for that 3 minute run, and I don't want to be consumed with it during vacation. Also, I've read that if you don't feel like you can do more on Day 3 of a given week, then repeat the week. Although I busted it out last night, I feel like I was JUST getting comfortable with the 90 second intervals. The whole week was much tougher than the first, and with the timing of my vacation, it's just not a good time to move on yet. I'd rather 'practice' and do what I know I can do while on vacation! I hope I'm doing the right thing! Anyway....just wanted to say not to change my chart to week 3 yet Cool Ernsberger ~ Great great job on the weight loss! 28 pounds in what, 3 months? You are a rock star! That is very inspiring for me to hear. I've done this weight loss trip before, but this time is different because of the exercise commitment and I'm certain this will be the last time I have to drop this weight! Also, what 5K are you doing ? I'm hoping to be ready for one on October 19th, that would be my 'run a 5K without dying' goal like yours. But my 'run a 5K in 30 miuntes' goal will be the Turkey Trot in Avon.
                      Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                        Week 7 complete! We did 2.25 miles in the 25 minutes. Can't wait to add 3 more minutes on Sunday!
                        2008 Goals:
                        1. Finish C25K
                        2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                        3. Complete One Hour Runner
                        theyapper

On the road again...

OHR W8D3 This was the long run of the week - 49 minutes - and so I made sure I ran at a nice comfortable pace. I don't actually know what that pace is until I'm done because I'm trying to learn how to listen to my body. I thought it would be somewhere in the 11 m/m range because I felt GREAT during the run. I was very surprised to see that my pace was actually around 10:20/mile. Another huge factor was the lack of humidity. It was a perfect morning to run.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

erendis

cyndiko- definitely don't feel bad to repeat a week! the important thing is to keep moving, and to take the next challenge when you're ready. if you forced yourself and hated running as a result, you would be less likely to keep at it. have fun on vacation! i just got back from c25k week6 day3!! WHOA was that hard! from a teaching perspective, i understand why the third day of these past couple weeks was extra hard, harder than where we start the next week. it gives us a push to our limit to show us we can do it, so that the next week seems manageable. the last five minutes of the 25 min run were the slowest 5 minutes ever. but i kept picking up my feet, refusing to walk early because i didn't want to have to log in here and tell you guys i wimped out. thanks for all your support! i definitely couldn't have done it without ya
                            I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Blush And here I am stressin over the 3 minute runs for Week 3! I can not wait to be able to run 30 minutes but *whew*, I have a long way to go! I love seeing these comments because it gives me something to look forward too and motivates me!
                              Cyndi, if you go into my log into workouts, you can look at my comments/notes on my runs in week 2. I struggled in the beginning too. C25K will get you there; just try to be patient.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

The young Mama Bear!

Everyone stressed about W3...everyone stressed about every week! We've gotten past it but we all had our struggles. Read my log and you'll see that it wasn't all daisies and skipping. I think that repeating weeks is perfectly fine, but pushing yourself is the point of this program. It's made to let you figure out that you can go further, and you should go further. 90 seconds felt like long enough for me, but guess what? 3 minutes was doable as well. Of course, the choice is yours but you'll find that each week is completely within your reach. Trust me, I doubted myself from W2-W6.
                                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.