Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Running Outside vs. Inside (Read 557 times)

My Little Pony hair.

With the weather getting much, much nicer around these parts lately, I'm planning on hitting the bike path near my house and doing some runs there. However, after running for the past 3 months on a treadmill, I'm worried that there's going to be a HUGE difference running outside compared to running inside. Aside from the fact that I'm sure that impact on the the path isn't nearly as soft as the TM, is there really that much of a difference between the road and the treadmill?

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
    • run 1000k
    • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

Wingz

Professional Noob

If you ask that on the main forum, you'll have probably 50% of folks tell you that it's easier to run on a TM than not, 10% say they're faster outside than on the TM, and 40% totally unrelated nonsense answers. Tongue Things to remember: 1) you don't have to use as much brainpower when running on the TM because the machine sets the pace. Your pace will probably vary some as you go outside - don't let that trouble you just try to go by about the same effort level. 2) running outside will use your legs in new and different ways and will take some getting used to. You might be sore for a little while as you adjust. 3) most people, having done both, tend to prefer running outside as you get much more variety, scene changes, etc. 4) not every TM is calibrated just right - what your TM says is a 13:00 pace might actually be a 12:00... or a 14:00. Don't compare one to the other... or, if you do, just try to remember that it doesn't really mean anything other than the treadmill's off. Or maybe you have a different running pace outside. Wink Running should be fun, not worrisome. Make it your playtime. Go enjoy the bike path. You've worked hard. You've earned a little playtime. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

You Are Beautiful.

I'm not an expert at anything but here are my thoughts. I did the switchover pretty recently. I was very dependent on the TM over the winter because of the weather. I also have a huge fear of stray dogs and didn't know too much about my neighborhood since I usually drive everywhere. Having started the program on the TM, I was very leery of moving outside mid-program. I was used to the TM, it was how I felt comfortable. It was a stretch moving outside. I actually cried a few times. Like, "I should be able to run a mile without stopping! I can do it on the treadmill, is it that different?!" Yep, it's that different! It took about 2 weeks for me to find a stride on the road. They were not an easy two weeks. I got frustrated a lot. One day, I remember coming home and actually flopping down on my carpet and crying. I was just so frustrated that I couldn't do the 'same' distance that I had on the TM. But I kept at it. Having done it now for about a month or so (outside), I have finally reached TM boredom. The scenery, the slight elevation changes, the ability to 'see' a mile go by rather than 'feel' it (or watch it tick by on the screen), setting your own pace... all of it adds up to a more enjoyable run in my book. I think my favorite part is the wind resistance. I can't stand running (in place) with stagnant air. I need that self-created breeze. Even if it means risking seeing a dog (our neighborhood seems to be pretty safe). So I'd definitely say go ahead and switch but just be prepared for a period of transition. If my experience is any indication, you'll lose some time/distance in the changeover. It's so worth it though! And if you plan on doing races, it's probably a good idea to start running on the road as soon as you can.

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
        Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

My Little Pony hair.

My lovely hubby and I hit the bike path yesterday morning. I decided to go easy on us and do a week 3 run. I learned that... a) I suck at running outside b) According to the husband, one should not run unless they are being chased c) I really should have invested in a decent sports bra because OMG, it was like I had two soccer balls trying to escape. I'm not sure why it sucked, whether it's just that different than the TM for me, or the fact that about 15 seconds after the first run started the path went from paved to dirt. I'm going to give it another shot heading in the opposite direction that we went, because that side is actually paved.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
          • run 1000k

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

Wingz

Professional Noob

Running on dirt does take a little more work than running on paved surfaces. But don't let this be the end of your outside running adventures! There's more, much more!

Roads were made for journeys...

Baby bean!

I prefer running outside. There is more to see and experience. I found that with TM, I got bored quickly, even with the tv on. Running outside requires more focus and attention.

Goals:
              Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

My Little Pony hair.

I gave the path another shot this morning, and fared much better. Still doing Week 3 workouts out there and trying to get into the rhythm of things, but altogether not a bad run. Plus, I saw a rabbit and a fox Smile

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
                • run 1000k

You Are Beautiful.

Very nice, glad to hear it! Shy

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                  Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go.