Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 5/11-17 (Read 313 times)

Did the PolePole remix edition of week 4 today (a 4th day of week 4), and finally made it through the last 5 minute interval that was kicking my tail. Something about minute 3 in that last 5 is just super challenging--I think it lasts an hour or 2! Any way, probably do a mix of week 4 and 5 this week, and get to the 20 minute run at the end of next week??? Wingz, are you ready for a slooooowww 20 minute run?
      W9D1 done!!! Its really amazing to think I am in the last week!!! Keep up the awesome work everyone!!
      Yelie
      Wingz

Professional Noob

PolePole, I can do that run Thursday morning or anytime on Friday. Email me and we'll hash out the details. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

W9D1 done!!! Its really amazing to think I am in the last week!!! Keep up the awesome work everyone!!
          It sounds like you're as happy as the dog in your avatar! Big grin Awesome job, Yellie, and way to stick with the program!

Wingz~I'm really just amazed and proud I made it this far! I feel like I'm finally after my whole life envying runners becoming one myself and its a great thing Big grin
            Yelie

De-slacking in progress

W7D1- thought the plan was for 28 mins this week- (wrong- only 20 mins like last week) So I ended up running with the goal in my head of doing 28 mins. Didn't make that goal. I ran 28:43 because at that point I hit the 5K marker for the first time ! YAHOO. My race time goal is anything under 29:59

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Wingz

Professional Noob

LaineT - I think you're on the right track with
                more time between runs (2 days instead of one day), obsessive icing, and some ibuprofen, along with calf stretches out the wazoo, will help me along to feeling better.
                I'm not familiar with the Omni Grid, but I used Socconi Grid Sability MC 5 and 6 before, and they were big clunkers of stability shoes. Big grin Did your podiatrist tell you to wear those inserts while running (specifically)? I don't know a lot about inserts, but I've heard a number of people say they've had trouble while wearig the inserts (and not while not!). I've also heard that you have to build up to wearing them... a little bit at a time... and that suddenly jumping into wearing them a lot can cause problems too. Just a thought for you.

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Yelie - you are doing great. Welcome to graduation week! slaptear - you are fast! LaineT - how are the shin splints? wingz - you are correct. My last injury was caused by not breaking in new orthotics properly.
                  colinw

I am starting week 3 of the OHR. I went a little longer than 30 mins last weekend and did 6.5k in 38 mins. I was in a beautiful park and just felt like I wanted to keep going, so I did!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Puffer, not huffer

Hi all, Did W7D3 last night--a little twinge in the left leg when I started, but it went away and hasn't given me too many problems. I iced it a little. It seems as if running on the other side (with the opposite leg facing the street) is really starting to be effective. I made a post in the main community, and got advice to go to the Running Store. Which I will, if it get worse, but right now, I feel like I have it under control. I got the orthotics about six months ago (waited awhile to start running again, clearly.) The podiatrist fitted them in my sneakers, and told me to wear them while I run. Anyone ever took your custom-made orthotics OUT of your shoes? It sounds silly, but my doctor made a big deal of putting them in himself. I know I'll have to take them out when I eventually switch shoes--how long do orthotics last, btw? I made sure to break them in after reading about people getting stress fractures by taking them out for a run. I wore my shoes around my house for a week or two before I started running, so I think they're at least broken in. Thanks for the advice, everyone. This is a really supportive community. Onto our next week! Happy running!
                      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

colinw - great job! LaineT - I switch my running (custom) orthotics between shoes all the time. I don't know why he would make a big deal about it. I also have custom dress orthotics now, so I'm basically wearing one or the other all the time. Somes shoes (especially my Privos) have such a thick removeable insole, that I have to use the running ortho in it or else my foot is too low in the shoe. I'm not sure how long the custom ones last. I was told the off the shelf ones from the running store should be replaced every year.
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

LaineT - a thought for you... I've heard many people say that the rubber in running shoes degrades over time even if you're not wearing them. You say the doc put them in your shoes half a year ago. And perhaps you had them a while before that? Your woes could be directly linked to something as simple as having shoes that are too old! Also, as you're discovering, running routes in different directions is a good thing. Especially if you're on a slanted path, running the other direction puts stress on the opposite side of the body. You might want to make a habit of alternating directions on routes. Keeps things interesting, keeps the stress spread out and (hopefully) manageable, etc. Good luck!

Wingz

Professional Noob

slaptear - you are fast!
                            Shocked What was that blur that just went by? Big grin

Puffer, not huffer

First the Health and Nutrition community, and now you guys? I have to get new shoes? Poo! Nah, I'm kidding (mostly.) I guess my nice little 600 bucks from George Bush could afford a dent, in the form of a new pair of running shoes. I've had these shoes for a long time (maybe more than a year!), but I just haven't done much running in them, so I was of the mind that I could just think of them as new. Guess not! Thanks for the info about the rubber breaking down, though--I had no idea! So--break in the orthotics in the new shoes, or are the orthotics already broken in? What's the consensus? The level of intelligence and helpfulness in here never ceases to amaze me. So glad I came out of lurkerdom! Smile
                              obiebyke

Hoping I can get some encouragement and advice, guys. I'm starting to worry about my June 1st 5k-- my second. I've been doing OHR and am up to a long run of 42 minutes/3.43 miles. My first 5k, 6wks ago, was a 35:17, which is an 11:22 pace. I'd like to PR this second one, but my training runs have slowed to 12-12:30 minutes/mile. I know part of it is adding distance, but I'm running even my 30 minute recovery runs at that speed. I'm trying to tell myself it's ok not to PR at every race, but I know I'll be disappointed if I don't PR this one. Am I doing anything wrong, or is this just a case of endurance training causing/necessitating a slowdown? Thanks for any input.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)