Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 7/10-7/16 (Read 255 times)

W8D1 complete.  It's 91 out, but it feels like about 100.  I can't believe I pushed through it.  Slower than usual, but I made it.  Can't wait for cooler weather.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Giant Flaming Dork

W2D1 complete.

Hey, I have a stupid question - Does the "20 minutes total" include the 5 minute brisk walk in the beginning?

http://xkcd.com/621/

When I did it, I did not include the 5 minute warm up or cool down.

My week 2 was like this.  It was actually a little longer than 20 minutes.

5:00 warmup

1:30 jog

2:00 walk

5:00 cool down

Total of 29 minutes

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

G - When I did the program, I think the podcasts I used counted the wu/cd into the total time. btw, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Dig - good job on W8D1. Watch those temps - they will slow you down but not a problem, it slows everyone down. Morning (5-6am) temps and humidity have gotten a bit to warm for me here in Austin and have driven me to dreadmills at the gym! Because of my heart condition I have to watch hydration and HR. Gyms are generally warmer than I like most of the year but these days its cooler to be inside at 5:30am! Didn't encounter that last year.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

W8D2.  Decided to go out in the morning to beat the heat.  What a difference 15 degrees makes.  I was a full minute faster than my last run time.  I may have to stick to mornings if it's going to be 90+ for a while.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Ran on the trail with the dog with morning.  Took a week off for various reasons and felt pretty good this morning.  I spent the better part of a week at home alone with our 8 year old boy.  Took care of some painting, got my butt kicked at video games, and had a ton of fun catching blue gill and sun fish.  The fish all together probably didn't weigh much more than the bait but we made some great memories.

girmann - I don't think it matters much one way or the other, but I'm with DF on this one.  I think the warm up and cool down are in addition to the workout.  That said, do what feels comfortable.  There is no one right way to do this program.

DigitalFirefly - Nice job on W8.  You have made great progress!

bobev - How goes the gym workouts?  I don't much care for running inside, but it does beat the heat!

Today was a real motivator for me.  Running in the "cooler" weather and not feeling dead tired after the run really felt great.  Since I started the c25k I think most of my runs have been in 85+ degree weather.  Seeing my time improve and physically feel better today.  I'm looking forward to completing the c25k next week and focus on losing weight, running further, and running faster.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Dig - I don't think I would have fallen in love with running if I wasn't such an early bird all my life. Even now that I'm retired sleeping late means getting up between 5:30 & 6:00 am! LOL Problem I have now in Austin, TX is that is has been humid and in upper 70's at 5am! And temp climbs fast once sun comes up. Makes it harder to get my 60-90 min runs in before temp burden strikes.

Chup: The dreadmill has been a good alternative for me so far. I still hate it tho... 60-90 min on a dreadmill is, well... dreadful! LOL But its going better than I would have thought. I found one with built in fans and the Cardio Theater room is cooler than the rest of the building. They also have my fav machine, C2 Rower which is a great cardio & workout for all major muscle groups.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

theyapper

On the road again...

What I've learned over the years is that there are no easy runs in the summer heat, and like digital found out this week, 10-15° can make a world of difference.  Where I live, it's typically mid 70s and humid by 5:30 in the morning, but that is far better than upper 80s a few hours later.  Morning runs are critical for me.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Short easy run on the trail with the dog this morning.  Sure beats the painting I have planned for the rest of the day!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Chup: I'be gotten my chihuahua's up to .8mi walks. Am hoping to increase them to 3k, but that will take awhile both in calendar time and actual "run" time with all the stopping they do to sniff and pee! LOL. 

I got an abbreviated (had to be home to take DW to a Mah Jongg Tournament) BF run on all asphalt this am, 2.3mi, 76F, moderate humidity, light breeze. No blisters but was starting to get some hot spots. Need more before extending to 5k on asphalt. 

bob e v

W8D3. Another great run.  It was 70 out and I was about 30 seconds faster on my mile time.  There was also another runner ahead of me and it motivated me to keep pace.  Eventually I lost them, but it kept my mind of the hills.  Week 9 starts Sunday!  3 more to go!

Great job everyone this week.

Started c25k on 5/30/11

Ran on the trail with Copper this morning.  Got most of the kitchen cabinets painted, rebuilt a couple of drawers, and completed a couple of repairs.  Today I'll begin painting the house.  I'm looking forward to the cub scout overnight this weekend with my 8 year old.

bobev - Good luck with the chihuahua's.  My golden did every step of C25K with sometimes we just had to stop to sniff or eliminate.  There's a public trash can along the way so I seldom had to carry a full bag more than a mile.  I will say that carrying a bag like that will focus my attention.  Smile  Copper will go 4 miles now and we rarely stop these days.  It helps that we start off with a quarter mile walk to the trail which is at his pace.  

DigitalFirefly - Excellent job on W8.  You're so close now!

Chup, I have a question for you.  I looked at your log and I see the 4 miles you did, is that just 4 miles of running, not counting any warmup or cool down?

Started c25k on 5/30/11

DigitalFirefly - Yes, I log just the running portion.  I walk about a quarter mile to warm up (also do some light stretching) and about a half mile or more to cool down usually at my dog's pace (well, that's my excuse), but don't include that in the log.  Why do you ask?  Oh, and good luck with W9!  You've established a running habit and a base that you can maintain or build upon or if you wish.  Way to go and keep on running!