Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Race Reports for the C25K: Share Your First Race Here!!! (Read 411 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I thought it might be cool if we had a place for all of us to share stories about our first race since most of us are new runners here/newly back to running. When you run your first race or if you have already, please come share here! Big grin ----------------------------------- I had posted this is another usergroup, but not all of you are part of that group so I wanted to share it here too. I started C25K in the spring and now not only am I a runner, I'm a racer too! YMCA of Regina Road Race. Saturday, August 9. 830 am. Partly overcast, comfortable temp, minimal wind. 18*C or 64*F. Three races with a single shared (mass) start - 5K, 15K and 21K. The start was awkward; about 100 yards in, the 15K and 21K runners turned onto a different route so everyone is tripping over each other as some try to turn and some go straight. Important Positives Points about my Race: - I was content with my start that I didn't go out too fast. - I ran the whole thing without walking. - I sprinted the last 200 yards. - I crossed the finish line with a smile on my face and arms in the air. - My husband and kids were near the finish line when I got there. - I wanted my time under 35 minutes and I did it! - I wasn't last. - Our 4 year old son asking me on the way home after the race "Mom, did you have fun?" Little Minor Misses: - I got pics with my kids but no pic with my DH on the day of my first race. - I didn't remember to stop my timer as soon as I finished so I had to wait for official chip times to be posted. Posted this morning hence why the late report. Official Chip Time - 34:29 Overall placement - 50 out of 64 runners Age Group (W30-39) - 6 out of 8

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Yeah, Meg! You rocked that race! Big grin

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

theyapper

On the road again...

Good job, Meg.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Great job, Meg Big grin Countdown to my first 5K - 3 days Shocked
          Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

The young Mama Bear!

Go, Meg!
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Great job, Meg Big grin Countdown to my first 5K - 3 days Shocked
              You'll do great! Please come share your race report here after. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I hope ernsberger is having a great race today. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

redleaf

Great job Meg!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Congrats, Meg! That is a wonderful accomplishment Big grin Oh my goodness...what an awesome experience for my first 5K Big grin I was starting to get really nervous on Friday night thinking about the 5K on Saturday. Having just finished C25K on Thursday night, I had never ran more than 2.5 miles or longer than 30 minutes, so I was a little leery of that last bit of the race. So, race morning arrives...I took my boys (ages 11 and 13) as they were also running. We got checked in and things got so busy, I didn't get to do my 5 minutes warm up walk Shocked I stretched for a few minutes before the start of the race, but I was still a little worried about being sore afterwards with no warm-up walk. The weather was beautiful. Sunny and probably 60-65 degrees. The bike trail is probably 2/3 shaded and 1/3 totally sunny, with the sunny part coming right in the center of the race. We are on our local bike trail and it's pretty flat with the exception of the very beginning being somewhat downhill ( yes, that means somewhat uphill at the very end of the race).... So, when running prior to my race, I was averaging about a 12:30 mile for my 2.5 runs. Well.... I got to my first mile of the race... 10:52... I was so excited because I didn't feel like I was running any faster than normal. I did not take the water that they offered just before the first mile. Ok, I finally make the turnaround...get to the 2nd mile marker... time - 22:22... This is funny. I took water on my way back through. Tried to take a drink, but of course it spilled all down the front of me, then I rinsed my mouth, spit it out, and threw the cup... just like on TV...this is when I felt like a runner! I then hit the sun again and started to slow down. I wanted to start walking so badly. But, opted instead for just slowing down! I never walked. At all. After I hit the 3 mile marker, there is a small bridge to go under then the hill I talked about that takes you up to the finish line. After I cleared the bridge, my 11 year old son was there to run with me to the finish. I sprinted (well, I gave it all I had anyway) from the bottom of the hill to the finish line. My friends and family were all there cheering me on. My friend Stacy was there and photographed the entire event, before and after. I stretched really well after the race. I did not feel sore after. Just tired. I was not sore at all yesterday. Today, my legs can tell that something happened to them on Saturday, but not bad. AWESOME! ACCOMPLISHED! UNBELIEVABLE! I can't believe I set out with a goal 10 weeks ago to complete C25K and run a 5K... and I did it... The best part...my goal was to run it in less than 40 minutes... Well, I didn't stick around for final times because my daughter had a volleyball scrimmage, but Stacy said she clocked me at 37:something. So, I'm waiting for final times to be posted on the internet. Thanks for all of your encouragement and advice. You are all such an inspiration. Good luck to all of you in your quest for the 5K. Prior to 10 weeks ago, I had never ran in my life, EVER... If I can do this... so can you Wink I do have a question though...what should I do this week? My goal is to run 10 miles a week, but I've read something about a recovery week. Any advice?
                    Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
                      Smile Ernsberger ~ great job! It's got to be such a great feeling, I can't wait for my first race! Congratulations on your accomplishment, it keeps me inspired to keep going! Meg ~ Good job on your race as well! This is a great thread and I hope it's still around when I get to my first race in October! I can't even imagine being in 'racing' shoes right now so hearing about your good experience is just what I need. Well done both of you! I'm doing a happy dance for you and I don't even 'know' you ha ha! Wink
                      Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks for all the positives, folks! What an awesome first race, ernsberger! Smile The week after my first race, I did take it a bit easier. My first run I went out faster than usual; my second run was great; my third run was alright but I wish I'd mapped pre-run so I would've covered more distance. I think the week after your first race, just go out and run, listen to your body. Next week, you can get back to your 10 mile week plan. Big grin Cyndi, if this thread isn't on the first page of our forum when you race, post your race and bump it up! You'll be ready and have a great post run story for us. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

erendis reminded me to post in this thread as well as the weekly updates thread. Here's what I posted there:
                          We ran the Komen Race for the Cure 5K this morning. The weather was not great for a run: close to 80 degrees with humidity upwards of 80%. Despite the weather and the foot traffic that slows down any charity 5K at the beginning, we still came in at 31:00!
                          We were both a bit nervous this morning, as this was our first race (non-competitive or not). This was a big race--around 25,000 participants. Most were walkers, I'm not sure how many runners there were. We lined up at the 10:00 min/mile sign. I knew I was going to start too fast, and told my wife to tell me to slow down when I did--she did tell me, and we still ended up going out a bit too fast. Smile The water stations along the course were a bit strange--the tables were short, so there was always a pretty big traffic jam to get a drink. Apart from the big shuffle walk at the beginning as everyone tried to get space to run, we also couldn't finish fast because people were slowing down towards the end (or at least not speeding up at all). These items, of course, are mostly negatives. I'm leaving out tons of positives: how much fun we had running together; how great it feels to actually run a race, only 3 months after starting running at all!; supporting a great cause at the same time. I can't wait for my next race and a little bit better weather to break 30:00 on a course!
                          2008 Goals:
                          1. Finish C25K
                          2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                          3. Complete One Hour Runner
                          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Awesome. I wish I could say my first 5K was so quick. Good for you. Glad your first race was a good experience! Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

erendis

First 5k ever was this morning and it was a beautiful day, my only weather complaint was I wished it was more breezy, because I was sweating my buns off. This morning on the drive there, I started to freak a little bit because we got lost. We found our way eventually with plenty of time to spare. This race was a small town race, but with good turnout because they let you walk if you want or you can run with your kids in a stroller, and there's a kids fun run afterwards. From the beginning, I was pretty psyched because my run number was #42, which of course is the answer to life the universe and everything! When the race started I could already tell I was slower than most of the runner crowd, and it didn't take long for the large pack to get far ahead of us. DH stayed with me the whole time, so I wasn't all alone. Not long into the race I started to panic a bit because of the hills. Now the race was advertised as "fairly flat" but I should have realized that Holliston, (neighbor to Hopkinton) is one of the hilliest towns in the county. So "fairly flat" meant no big hills, but quite a few smaller hills. The town I live in is super flat, so running around town didn't prepare us for hills. Overall, considering the hill challenges, we did pretty well. Took a couple short walking breaks, especially after the uphills, but got right back into it. Unofficial time: 38:15 definitely a PR for me. I'll know more when the race results are up on coolrunning, but I know we weren't last among the runners, and we passed another lady who was about the same age as I am, so I don't think I'm last in my age group either. All in all, we had a blast! Looking forward to the 5k next month, maybe we can get down to 35:00 or so?
                              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's awesome! Good job!

Half Fanatic #9292.