Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 3/2 to 3/8 (I think) (Read 287 times)

Loose Cannon

Hi, everyone! Well, I was a little bit disappointed in myself today. When I got to the gym, there was a sign saying the gymnasium where I usually run would be closed for Head Start. I really didn't want to run on their tiny track with the hills on every corner, so I decided to take a practice treadmill day. Instead of doing week 3 day 1, I went on the treadmill and concentrated on walking without hanging on. I kept edging up the speed as I got more comfortable. I plateaued at 2.7 mph which is actually a decent pace for me (at barely 5' tall). So I'm telling myself that I'm training myself to be able to use the treadmill for the C25K so that it doesn't throw me off so much when the gymnasium is closed. The kicker was when I was done, I walked past the gymnasium and it was still empty. Head Start never showed up, the little buggers. Wink Welcome to all new members and hello to all my friends out there! Big grin
    Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
    Julianne R

Hello, all -- I started the C25K last Friday at W3. Today I finish W3D3. Feeling great! Have a great day, everyone!
      Wingz

Professional Noob

ladyveg - that doesn't sound like anything to be disappointed in. You'd had some worries about being able to use the TM and how fast you should set it for. Looks like you took a very practical approach to that problem! It's not your fault the "little buggers" didn't show up! Now, next time something comes up, you have a back-up plan for your running. You've got options for both the gymnasium and for the TM. Now... ready to try that W3D1? Smile Hi, Julianne! Welcome to our little group! Care to tell us a little bit about yourself? Is this the first time you've tried running? Do you have any unusual hobbies? What made you decide to try the C25K program?

Roads were made for journeys...

Hi everyone, tonight will be my running day (w1d3) WOOT! Its snowing out there but well at least there won't be too much other runners in the park Big grin Oh and I was wondering if it would be ok to run every second day? I know the program is for 3 days a week, but I would love to run at least every second day.
          obiebyke

Hey all. Looks like the spring is treating people well. People seem healthier and run-ier. Yay! I did W8D1 yesterday. I feel like I'm already done with C25K, because I'm not listening to the podcasts anymore, and not having intervals is a big difference. The 28 mins. last night was a little tough, but largely psychologically. It feels like a long time to run! And I was at the gym, watching TV with my headphones tuned in. Realizing that I was stuck for the whole episode of Friends I've already seen was a little rough. But I did it! 2.4-ish miles. In other news from other user groups: yesterday was 7 months without a cigarette, and Thursday is my 26th birthday!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Loose Cannon

Thanks, Wingz! At least you helped me see the bright side. As a matter of fact, I took my tax refund out for a spin today and ended up at the sports shop buying my own treadmill! Now I can work on it whenever I please, without worrying about looking like a fool if I fall off. And that will save money on a gym membership, where the thing I use the most (gymnasium) tends to be "taken" when I want to use it. Congrats, obiebyke, on no smoking for 7 months! That's awesome and amazing! I quit about 11 years ago, and I swear that sometimes, every once in a blue moon, I still get a craving for a cigarette. It gets easier and easier to say no, though. Keep it up! And Happy Birthday! Hi, enesia. Congrats on finishing week 1. I think it's okay to go every other day if you want to. Just be sure to give yourself that rest in between, at least now when your body is getting used to running.
              Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
              Wingz

Professional Noob

enesia - I don't *think* it'd be a problem... but it's your body, not mine. Listen to it - if you start getting little aches and pains, or start feeling more run-down or tired than usual, it's time to lighten-up the schedule. And don't push the pace!!! Wink How was your run in the snowy park? I live in NC... and it's currently 69 degrees. I don't see much snow, lol! obieybke - what does your screen name mean, anyway? I've been wondering that since I first saw it! You're doing great! Congrats on running for 28 minutes!!! Whoo hoo!!!! Big grin ladyveg - tell us what kind of treadmill you got and what you think of it!!! I bought a used rinky-dinky one from a coworker once, and really regretted it. On the other hand, I really like the $3000+ ones they have at the gym... *drools* For my running, I went to the park yesterday. You know how I like trail running? Well, the weather was so nice I just *had* to go. It was great! Spring has definitely come to NC! I heard a lot of frogs singing to eachother... it was really neat! On the way home, I saw daffodils! Shocked Folks, don't be too too jealous - in a few months, I'll be sweltering and you'll be having all the nice weather...

obiebyke

ladyveg-- mmmmm, treadmill. That would be AMAZING. When I get rich, I'll buy one. Ha! Wingz-- my screen name has an old an complicated history. I went to college at Oberlin. We folks are called "Obies." And my freshman year, I insisted I was pretty much gay but would still consider being with guys, so bi + dyke = byke. That started being my username back then, and I just still use it.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ahhh, gotcha! Makes sense. My sister went to Oberlin... close to 20 years ago, lol! Do you play an instrument? She was always telling me what a good music program they had there. She ended up in pre-med, but I think it was always a dream of hers to be a professional musician... I got mine from a sci-fi book I read long ago. I don't remember what it was called. There was this kingdom where there was a special class of people who were professional messengers. They wore these giant, metallic wings and (literally) flew around delivering their messages. Some other people wanted to become messengers too, and totally disrupted the whole social system by making messenger status a competitive appointment rather than an inherited one. Unfortunately, the flying took lots of practice and the newbies weren't very good. They earned the name (or called themselves, I forget) "Wood-wings," meaning basically trying to do something practically impossible, with little and poor equipment, and doing a bad job of it. When I started running, at 210 pounds, I felt like I was trying to do something impossible (RUN!), with faulty equipment (my overweight and out-of-shape body), and was doing it poorly (slowly!). I felt like a Wood-wing. So I called myself Wingz. Last year, I discovered there is a chain of beach-shops withthe same name that sells tourist trinkets.... Black eye

obiebyke

Wingz, that's hilarious. What a great reason for your username, lo these many pounds later! I played piano--badly--for 14 years. It was required in my family, so obviously I had to refuse to practice and insist on sucking. Wink I was a regular college kid at Oberlin.

Julianne R

"Hi, Julianne! Welcome to our little group! Care to tell us a little bit about yourself? Is this the first time you've tried running? Do you have any unusual hobbies? What made you decide to try the C25K program?" _______________________________________________ Hello -- Officially finished W3D3 today. I've been working on doing this program for a long time (PT and walking program) after recovering from a bad injury. Figure that running would symbolize the ultimate come back! Big grin Good job, everyone!
                        jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Mind if I join you? I did W1D1 yesterday. Anyone else just starting out?
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome, Jan / jb44! Enesia said she just finished week 1, so you guys are starting out pretty close...

Hi jb944, indeed I started nearly at the same time than you. And since I got the flu, laying in bed with fever, I think you are by now on the same track. When are your weekly running days? How did your first day work? @Wingz: the run in the park got delayed due to my illness. When I came home from work I was freezing and shivering so I decided to not get myself killed outside. I plan on continuing this weekend. I hope I will be fit until then ... grrr I hate being sick.
                              jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Thanks for the warm welcome. This is my second time around on the C25K program. I actually graduated the first time last October and then worked my way up to running an hour straight by December. Unfortunately, I was injured the week before Christmas and have been in PT for the past 2 months. So, I decided this was the safest way to start back up. I'm finding it much easier this time and want to do more, but I'm holding myself back. While in PT, I kept up my workouts on the bike. Just completed W1D2 on the treadmill. My plan is to run every other day. Hopefully I can be an encouragement to all of you. The program really does work.