Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread - June 8-14 (Read 325 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice to see I'm not the only impatient one forcing myself to stay the course. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice to see I'm not the only impatient one forcing myself to stay the course. Wink
      Nope. I think there are plenty of us here that are guilty as charged. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

theyapper66 - you are doing great. Just be careful that you don't do too much too soon. meewolfie - same advice to you. Take it easy even tho you think you can do more. gruetzgirl - good luck with the race and let us know how it goes! meltchett - week 5 is a major psychological high. You cannnot even imagine how you feel when you complete your first 20 minute run. Mel - welcome! I think we are all impatient. But I'm trying to be very careful so I don't get inujured again! Keep up the good work, everyone.
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

On the impatient note, I think I had to check and remind myself to slow down about 6 times in my run today. I had a great run. The first half was a bit tough - heavy feet and just feeling a bit lazy - but the second half it started to rain. Then I was grinning. Running in light rain is fun for me. I'm definitely getting faster. We'll see how I do on the solid run Saturday. Question for the people further ahead in C25K or working on OHR, did you have a week where you got faster, a turning point, etc? Big grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Question for the people further ahead in C25K or working on OHR, did you have a week where you got faster, a turning point, etc? Big grin
            For me, when I finally ran the 20 minutes in C25K I turned a major corner. I don't think I got faster, but then I knew I could do it. "If I can run 20 minutes, I can run 25..." As far as getting faster goes, my last run was the best because I kept a good 10 m/m pace for the entire run. I also felt like I turned a corner on the mental aspect of running and the breathing. Almost like everything slowed down for me.

Paul

50 halfs by age 50

Sweet, Mel! I ran for a few months before getting stuck at, like, R4W1, and that's when I started C25K. It's a good unsticker. Curious--I couldn't tell for sure from your log--on Saturdays, do you do the R5W2 pattern, for 5 miles? That's the plan? That's cool. I can't wait to add a fourth day (but I will).
              Great to know someone else started from a similar spot...and look at you now! I'm still at R4/W2 for my LR on the weekend. I do about a 12:30 pace with that, though I can get sub 12 when it's cooler and less humid.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

obiebyke

Chimera, Wow! You're faster at R4W2 than I am running the whole time. Obviously, everyone's natural pace is different, but I have a hunch that if you slow down on your runs, you'll have no problem ditching the walking intervals in a couple of weeks.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

running buddies

Well, I've done it - W9D3 finished today. I sort of went out with a whimper, not a bang, since W9D2 felt good and today I went slower and felt worse. But, I think I'm going to go straight to OHR, so I'm glad I get three more weeks of 30 minute runs. I hope they are all feeling easy by the end. I've been reading all your "impatient" posts with interest - I was wondering if I really needed to do all three weeks before starting to lengthen the runs, but now I think I definitely do and will be better for it. It's been interesting to see how the rest of my life impacts my runs - I can really tell when I haven't gotten enough sleep, or if I ate poorly the day before. I can see why running becomes a lifestyle, not just an activity. It's so much easier to turn down junk food or go to bed earlier, when I know how it will impact my next day's run. Anyone else finding that?
                  "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                  jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

runswithdogs - Congratulations and welcome to OHR. Some days are better than others and you just need to put bad days behind you. And yes, I am more careful with diet and sleep because it really does affect my running and biking. Just got back from a run. Managed to run the first mile, but then did run/walk. The heat/humidity got to me. Still managed 3.14 miles in 44 minutes for a 14:03 average pace.
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Good job, runswithdogs! Big grin JB, that's none too shabby. It takes some time to get used to running in heat and humidity! Way to get out there! I don't live in a very humid place normally, but I know it's hard to get out sometimes. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Well, I've done it - W9D3 finished today.
                        Yeah! This is awesome news! Great job. (Where's the crossing the finish line smiley? Or the blue ribbon? Smile )
                        It's been interesting to see how the rest of my life impacts my runs - I can really tell when I haven't gotten enough sleep, or if I ate poorly the day before. I can see why running becomes a lifestyle, not just an activity. It's so much easier to turn down junk food or go to bed earlier, when I know how it will impact my next day's run. Anyone else finding that?
                        I have always found that when I'm out running on a regular basis, the weather never seems as extreme to me. This is particularly true in the winter, but also applies in the summer. And, yeah, I have an overall sense of wellness that I want to maintain. So I end up making better choices about food, sleep, etc.
                        ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm finding that my head is clearer on run days, even if I haven't been out to run yet. Just knowing it is run day helps me feel calmer, more grounded and less prone to getting stressed out. I'm with you; I totally see running becomes a lifestyle. I only wish I had taken up running sooner. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

meltchett - week 5 is a major psychological high. You cannnot even imagine how you feel when you complete your first 20 minute run.
                            Thanks JB. I'd forgotten what it was like the first time round. Made the time again today and it really does feel brilliant! Lumbered along at 11:22 p/m pace (according to the calculation on this site - I haven't a clue) - Not quick by any stretch of the imagination but it gets the job done, especially when you're as heavy as me and it is all part of the gradual weight dumping. That's week 5 done - on to week 6
                            theyapper

On the road again...

That's the end of the OHR week one for me! Just finished my 3rd run this week. It was harder than the others, mainly because I ran tonight in 90 degree weather WEARING SWEATS!! Brilliant. Tonight I made sure to stick closer to the recommended 30 minute run - I clocked in at 3 miles in 30:21. Funny, after thinking about the possibility of skipping ahead a couple of weeks, I'm looking forward to the week-end off. This was my first 10+ mile week and I can feel it in my legs. They're tired. Heart feels good, but the quads are ready for a nice, relaxing 2 days off. I will never be in a hurry again. Week 2, here I come.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Can someone give me the sometimes-runs-aren't-good-next-run-will-be-better talk? Yuck! I just finished my run. Call it the 25 minute slug run. I felt slow and lazy. Angry It was my first really lousy run since I started C25K. I know that everyone has bad days, but I'm just disappointed. I didn't push enough on my run. I didn't have to walk so I guess that's something. Next run will be better, I hope. It's going to be a long wait until Tuesday.

Half Fanatic #9292.