Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Skipping early weeks in OHR? (Read 213 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I asked this question in another thread but I think it got buried. I'm in the first week of OHR and have turned in 2 runs of 33 minutes + and have felt great. My breathing is good, I can talk while I'm running, and I feel like I can go farther when I'm done. BUT, I am only in my 3rd month of running. I've done C25K and have gone slow and have had no injury or unusual soreness. Would it be bad to skip to the 4th week of the program since I'm already doing times that are comparable to the 4th and 5th weeks? There's always the disclaimer about repeating weeks if necessary, but never any information about jumping ahead. Any input is very appreciated.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

From what I've read, the easiest way to injury is to do too much too soon. Even though you feel great, your tendons, muscles, ligaments all need to adjust to what you are doing. I would be very careful. In the grand scheme of things, is it worth risking injury just to finish one week earlier? Just my 2 cents.
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I wouldn't skip those weeks. The more easy runs you do, the more it helps you build your base. This is designed to keep you from going too fast and getting hurt as jb suggested. I know it's hard. I get impatient too. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Generally speaking, people tend to do too much too soon... and too fast. Which is a fine recipie for getting hurt. Who knows. Maybe you could skip a few weeks here and there... and maybe you wouldn't get hurt. Are you willing to take that risk? I know from experience that having an injury bites. And it'll slow down your progress in the long run. Just because you *can* do more doesn't necessarily mean you *should* do more. It's a risk. Maybe you'll get lucky. Then again, maybe you won't. What's the rush? There's a reason the OHR program starts with three weeks of just 30 minute runs and doesn't get any longer. They're assuming you've just gotten to the point where you can run for 30 minutes but haven't really spent much time at that level. They're trying to make sure that your body has adapted to that workload before adding more. I'd bet that if you wanted to, right now, you could go out and run for an hour. And could probably do that several days in a row. Then again, doing that would be effectively doubling your mileage and workload. And you'd probably end up with an injury. But you *could.* We follow programs to guide us and to try to help us curb our impatience. You are not under any obligation to follow a program. But if you're going to, it's usually best to give that program a chance to work.

Roads were made for journeys...

theyapper

On the road again...

I know you're all right. I knew it before I posted, but it was good to read the responses. It helped me remember why I chose to follow the OHR next - to build a solid amount of base miles in order to stay injury free. If I'm making running a lifestyle, what's 2 more weeks of nice, easy running? Nothing. I appreciate the gentle nudging back to reality.

Paul

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

That's what we're here for. Big grin
              theyapper

On the road again...

That's what we're here for. Big grin
                And you're all very good at it. Roll eyes

Paul

obiebyke

Don't worry, yapper. They've kicked me in the butt more times than I can count. And I'm better off for it. Spare the rod, spoil the runner. Wink

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Wingz

Professional Noob

And you're all very good at it. Roll eyes
                    Big grin Glad we could help. Wink

theyapper

On the road again...

So, pretty much the thought of skipping ahead was beginner's enthusiasm. When I got done with the first week of OHR, I had logged my first 10 mpw and I can def feel it. Tired quads and calves need the rest now and I'm very much okay with the slow progression of the program.

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

You're doing great! Cool

theyapper

On the road again...

I am enjoying it. I never thought running - as hard as it can be at times - would change the quality of my life in others area as much. I feel better, happier, more creative, etc. Very good stuff.

Paul