Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Post C25K (Read 516 times)

skinnycaponesugar

Hi everybody, As I start week 9 today, I need some suggestions as what to do next...I'm definitely running, but can you suggest a new programme or routine that has worked for you? or that you aspire to? Big grin I am thinking about running the Mother's Day Classic in Sydney (where I live), which is 8K on mother's day: May 11th...I looked at Hal Higdon's 8K programme, but I'm a bit nervous. How do you transition into a different routine? I'd have few weeks before starting HH's novice 8K. It lasts 8 weeks ending on the 8k day...it's all happening so faaaaassstttt! Shocked why isn't my picture avatar showing?

Love, Run, Sleep

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Chickadee! I'm out of time and can't really answer but I'll check back in with you later. Congrats on getting through your 9 weeks!!! That's a big deal! Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Chickadee! When I look at your log, it looks great! I see a lot of consistancy there, which is going to be your best friend in running. Cool Do you have a 5K race picked out? I missed that if you did. If not, definitely find one and run it to celebrate your hard work and your "graduation!" Big grin What worked for me to move past the couch-to-5K plan was to pick another race a few months out and then start training for that. Sounds like you're trying the same tack. You don't HAVE to follow any specific program to get there... if you take what you've learned these past few months and apply it. I'm sure you've got your own list of things that you've learned from the program. Would you be willing to post it in a new thread? I'd love to see a "what I learned from the C25K program" thread... But as for training for an 8K, it's remarkably similar to training for a 5K. Only difference is you need to work your distances just a little more. About 3K. Tongue You mentioned that you were a "metric" gal on the main forum, so I'm assuming that that's how you'll be measuring your runs? The three "classic" mistakes runners make are "too much, too soon, and too fast." Too much mileage, trying to increase distance and difficulty too quickly, and trying to run too fast. Having the structure of the C25K program helps keep you from doing that. Now, as you're getting ready to fly on your own, you still need to follow those rules. I'd suggest for now that you don't even think about any kind of speedwork. As a relatively new runner, what will give you the largest improvements in your time with the least risk of injury is to gradually and gently continue working to increase the distance (or time) that you run. The "10% rule" is a great place to start - it means don't increase your weekly mileage or any specific run by more than 10% in a week. In addition to that, it is prudent to take a "drop back" week every 3 or 4 weeks where you run maybe a third less than usual, just to give your body a chance to heal up and recharge. You're currently running just under 10 miles per week, or a little under 2 hours per week. You might want to take stock of your time and motivation - are you willing or interested to be someone who runs 3 hours per week? Four? What's comfortable to you? In your ideal world, how much would you want to be running? Then, once you get your dream worked out, you can slowly start to increase bit by bit until you reach that goal. You can probably complete an 8K doing very little more than you are doing now... but it'd likely hurt a bit since that's an additional 3K. *breaks out calculator* 8K is to 5K as X is to 10... *smoke comes out of calculator* Ah! Looks like you might want to consider working up to about 16 miles ... erm... *pulls smoking calculator back out* 25-26 kilometers per week to be comfortable with the distance. As for Higdon's plans, I like them. Other people don't. It's a personal preference thing. He uses the ideas of gradually increasing distance, including a longer run each week, and tucking in plenty of cross-training in his plans. I used a greatly modified verson of his to train for my first half-marathon. I'm a big fan of taking plans and tweaking them to your individual preferences and needs. And how do you transition into a different routine? It depends on what you want to do. Like with starting running, sudden changes in routine and difficulty are a huge risk factor for injury. So do it slowly if you're going to do it. Just remember that it's YOUR plan that you're working with, not his. So it needs to fit YOUR life, YOUR body, and YOUR background. Is softball going to be an ongoing sport for you? Perhaps you could work it into Higdon's plans as your "cross-training" if you want to work with Higdon. It's not exactly what he suggests, but if that's something that you enjoy and want to continue doing then it only makes sense to include it in your overall plan. I've got so much more to say (gads, I love to talk!) but I think I'll stop for now. This post is plenty long as it is... Blush Good luck!

Wingz

Professional Noob

why isn't my picture avatar showing?
          Your avatar picture is a separately loaded item from the picture in your profile. Go to options --> my forum preferences --> and browse and upload a picture there. Be sure to hit "save" after you upload... otherwise it's like you didn't do anything. Big grin

skinnycaponesugar

WOW Wingz! Thank you so much for your post...comments to follow, there is so much in it that I have to print out and read it Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thank you so much for your post...comments to follow, there is so much in it that I have to print out and read it Big grin
              Blush Did I mention I like to talk? Blush My knowledge level in running is very basic - I've concentrated on beginning running and the first few steps you can take past that. However, I can't tell you much past that since I've never gone there myself. If you want to know how to run your fastest 5K and already have a solid base (maybe next year, eh?), I'm not the one to go to, but there is a training forum here on RA specifically for that. And for 10 K's. There are support groups for half-marathons, marathons, and ultras. And running with diabetes. And women-specific topics. And so on. There is a great wealth of information here... if you know where to look. It's kind of like the internet in general, lol!

Wingz

Professional Noob

Nice avitar, by the way. Big grin

skinnycaponesugar

Nice avitar, by the way. Big grin
                  Thank you, she's from a painting Dolce Far Niente...the sweetness of doing nothing...wishful thinking Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

skinnycaponesugar

Wingz! I've been thinking about the things you said on your post and re-reading it. Definitely, you're giving me a new perspective to approach my running future Smile I finished the programme yesterday, can you believe it? I' m very pleased Big grin
                    Do you have a 5K race picked out? I missed that if you did. If not, definitely find one and run it to celebrate your hard work and your "graduation!" Big grin
                    I didn't even think of running a graduation 5k, but lucky me, the rotarians have their yearly fun run on the 16th of March, so I'll be doing it. Gotta register first and then I'll put it on my signature!
                    take stock of your time and motivation - are you willing or interested to be someone who runs 3 hours per week? Four? What's comfortable to you? In your ideal world, how much would you want to be running? Then, once you get your dream worked out, you can slowly start to increase bit by bit until you reach that goal.
                    I would like to run almost every day, today I'm resting after both running and softball yesterday and I felt I could have gone out for a run. Realistically, I'd like to run 4 times a week, the duration probably depends on how far I can go really, I'll apply the <10% rule!=""></10%>
                    You can probably complete an 8K doing very little more than you are doing now... but it'd likely hurt a bit since that's an additional 3K. *breaks out calculator* 8K is to 5K as X is to 10... *smoke comes out of calculator* Ah! Looks like you might want to consider working up to about 16 miles ... erm... *pulls smoking calculator back out* 25-26 kilometers per week to be comfortable with the distance.
                    wait, how did you calculate the distance I'd need? let me pull out my spreadsheet, I've gotta learn this...
                    As for Higdon's plans, I like them. Other people don't. It's a personal preference thing. He uses the ideas of gradually increasing distance, including a longer run each week, and tucking in plenty of cross-training in his plans. I used a greatly modified verson of his to train for my first half-marathon. I'm a big fan of taking plans and tweaking them to your individual preferences and needs.
                    The cross training is what worries me a bit. I don't really swim, or ride my bike much, softball season is about to end (we're playing semifinals next Saturday). I could do yoga, but I'm limited to the 4 days a week for the moment.
                    Just remember that it's YOUR plan that you're working with, not his. So it needs to fit YOUR life, YOUR body, and YOUR background. I've got so much more to say (gads, I love to talk!) but I think I'll stop for now. This post is plenty long as it is... Blush Good luck!
                    You're so right! and thank you for clarifying that for me, it is MY plan and has to suit ME. Definitely an aha! moment Yes Please say more! this is a new world to me, and I'm eager to learn as I'm sure other newbies are... Cheers!

Love, Run, Sleep

Wingz

Professional Noob

I finished the programme yesterday, can you believe it? I' m very pleased Big grin
                      ***Wild Cheering*** Whoo hoo! Yay!!! Way to go! (image shamelessly stolen from Run2Eat)
                      I didn't even think of running a graduation 5k, but lucky me, the rotarians have their yearly fun run on the 16th of March, so I'll be doing it. Gotta register first and then I'll put it on my signature!
                      There ya go! That'll even give you a few more weeks of running before the race! Cool
                      I would like to run almost every day, today I'm resting after both running and softball yesterday and I felt I could have gone out for a run. Realistically, I'd like to run 4 times a week, the duration probably depends on how far I can go really, I'll apply the <10% rule!="" wait,="" how="" did="" you="" calculate="" the="" distance="" i'd="" need?="" let="" me="" pull="" out="" my="" spreadsheet,="" i've="" gotta="" learn="" this...=""></10%>
                      No big magic or secret there. I took your 10 miles per week being enough for the 5K (knowing that the C25K program preps you for the 5K) and did a proportion. I really don't know if that's the right way to do it or not, but it made sense to me at the time. I don't think this'd be a rule of steel, especially for higher distances.
                      The cross training is what worries me a bit. I don't really swim, or ride my bike much, softball season is about to end (we're playing semifinals next Saturday). I could do yoga, but I'm limited to the 4 days a week for the moment.
                      Sounds like a worry about how to fit you to the plan instead of the plan to you... Wink Be creative! By the way, I hear hiking, racewalking, rollerblading, horseback riding, frisbee, bellydancing, circuit training, kayaking, dog-walking, and (ha, ha, ha) taekwondo are all cross-training...
                      You're so right! and thank you for clarifying that for me, it is MY plan and has to suit ME. Definitely an aha! moment Yes
                      Everyone approaches running differently. This's just the way I look at it. I figure my running is for ME. And as such, it has to suit MY needs. Why should yours be any less? Big grin

RookieRider

Congrats to you for completing the c25k!!! WOO HOO!!! Cheer! Roar from the crowd!! Good luck on your event too.
                        2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week