Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 4/13 - 4/19 (Read 295 times)

Week 5 Day 1 done. I felt really good during the runs. For the first time I think I barely felt the shin soreness I usually start to feel minutes into my run. Maybe its because I didn't stretch before the workout Confused Either way, I think I'm ready for the 8 minute runs. Big grin
    danea

Unfortunately, I had to skip running a week because I was sick, but I finally got back out there again and repeated day 1 of week 4. I was afraid I'd have to back up to week 3, but I made it through, I'm so proud of myself! Wednesday should be easier.
      colinw

I am starting W7D1 today. Finished up W6 on the weekend, and enjoyed the final 25 min run. My ongest run yet and it felt great to be able to run that long without stopping. Amazing to think how far 6 weeks have brougt me.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

gwhutch

Did w6d2 this morning. My shins started hurting again like they did in w1 and w2. The pain is in the muscle that runs along the front outside part of the shin. More in the right leg than the left. It is not a sharp pain, mostly a very tight feeling. And it only bothers me on the walking portions, not the runs. The only thing that is really the same today compared to w1 is the "cold" temperature - it was below 40 degrees.
          MoonStar

Decided to go on to w5d1 after all. Felt good. No foot pain and ran early so NSAIDS didn't have a chance to really kick in. Did 4.5 for the runs, 3.5 for the walks. Had signed up for a 5k May 3rd before I got off schedule and want to be able to run as much of this as possible. They close the course at a 16 minute mile - I have been averaging 14 so I think if I can extend the running time I should be able to do it as long as I accept I may have to take walk breaks. Also am worried about transitioning from treadmill to sidewalk. Was going to do it today - but it was only 29 degrees this am.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

MoonStar, I think you're stressing too much about the cutoff times. Look at it this way: what are they going to do, tell you to run faster? Wink No, worst case scenario is they pull up the water stops (you'll be by them by then anyway) and stop the traffic control. You may have to move to the side of the road and wait for a car at intersections. Maybe. But the times I've been at the very back of a race, there was this police car slowly creeping along and following me. It was really annoying, but the race workers knew that there was no one behind the police car, so they just had to wait for him to go by before they left their posts. Just make sure you get a copy of the course map before hand and learn the route. You DON'T want to get lost on race day. And since you won't be all the way through the program yet, I'd suggest planning on doing some run:walk intervals. Pick one that's comfortable for you (probably the 8:1 by that time?) and plan on going with that. That way it'll be less stress on you because it's something that you know you can do. The overall distance will be longer, but at least you won't have to make the jump to trying to run for XX minutes straight all at once. Also, I really think you should ask Richard to go with you. He has always been very supportive of me, and I believe that he would be honored and happy to accompany you. Ask him if he'd be up to and willing to do the race with you (ie, along side you) because you'd like the company. Believe me, having someone you know there along side you who's there only for the purpose of supporting you is a HUGE benefit.

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

W7 D2 done! I actually walked 5 minutes at the end and then ran another 6 minutes. It was 65 and sunny today! First day out in short sleeves and no jacket!!!!
                  Week 5 Day 2 is in the bag. I felt good during the 8 minute runs. I can't wait for that 20 Minute run. Big grin
                  gwhutch

w6d3. Done! Another PB (25 minutes without stopping). No more walk breaks from here to the end of the program.
                      W5D3 done!!! Big grin Around 10 min the breathing got easier but of course a side stitch took its place lol. But all it all it wasnt horrible I made it without stopping and feel great!!!
                      Yelie
                        Week 2 is in the bag! It was even (dare I say it??) not very hard today. I'm afraid I have now eternally jinxed myself, but it was smooth going. Bring on week 3!
                        MoonStar

Didn't run Thursday - so did W5d2 today - OUTSIDE!!! It definetely was harder on the hamstrings than on the treadmill, didn't quite hit a groove - but didn't have to walk during the run section either - and somehow my time was faster - don't understand that but ok. Maybe I take shorter steps on the treadmill since I am 5'8" ? Going to do the long run on Tuesday when I am off. Wingz - I like your idea of planning to do 8 minute run, 1 minute walks for the 5k. Feels better to have a plan. Also feels better to have done some running outside - think I'll try to stay outside for a while - treadmill is softer though.
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

jb944/Jan - looks like spring around here too! Big grin You're doing awesome! GotTheBug - itchin' for that 20 minute run, eh? Your enthusiasm is infectious! Cool gwhutch - congrats on your new PB! Looks like you've got things well under control! Smile Yellie - congrats on doing that 20 minute run. Big grin You're right - sometimes it seems like one problem just follows another. Way to HTFU and make it through. PolePole - you're SO on the right track! Way to go! Heck, by the time the summer running program comes around you may be too far advanced to run with those gals... MoonStar - congrats on your first run outside. Cool Once you get accustomed to it, you may never want to go back to the treadmill ("TM", sometimes known as "the dreadmill" Wink ) ... Evil grin Remember/be aware that because running on a treadmill is softer than running on sidewalk or pavement, that your legs and joints will need a bit of time to get accustomed to it. When switching to a new surface, it's NOT the time to be pushing the pace. Keep an eye open for the start of injuries and treat them aggressively to keep them from getting worse. As for your time on the TM not matching your pace outside, keep in mind that there's a lot of different things that go on normally that affect what speed you're actually running. Using a TM artificially sets your pace for you... which can be either good or bad. Plus, it's possible that the TM you're using isn't calibrated accurately. Or perhaps it just felt good to be outside - I know that speeds ME up sometimes. Big grin Have I mentioned that I'm really proud of you? You're accomplishing so much and doing a fantastic job. (For the rest of you in the group, yes I know MoonStar. Big grin )

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I know I wasn't supposed to skip ahead again, but it was raining this morning, so I was back on the treadmill and just decided to do the full 30 minute run at a slightly slower pace. (WIngz, give me credit for not continuing on - I could have kept going!). Big grin Now that I'm back up to 30 minutes, I'll stay here for about 4 weeks and then continue in the OHR program (again!) So, W9D1 is done. Hoping for dry weather this afternoon so we can get the bikes out again.
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

(WIngz, give me credit for not continuing on - I could have kept going!). Big grin Now that I'm back up to 30 minutes, I'll stay here for about 4 weeks and then continue in the OHR program (again!)
                                ROFL! I know what you mean! I'm really happy for you that things are working out. Hanging out for a month at that level's a fine idea. What can you tell us about the One Hour Runner program? I don't know a thing about it other than it's supposed to help you bridge up to running for an hour straight.