Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Are you doing the 100 push-ups challenge? (Read 311 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I recognize a bunch of names over in the 100 push-ups challenge group, and wanted to give you a heads-up that if you've just been lurking there it's time to get off the fence! This is your friendly 100-push-ups warning nudge. Post or get kicked from the group! (Of course, you can always re-join... Wink )

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll quit the group so you don't have to kick me out. I'm doing it, but at my own pace. Don't want to worry you with my lurker presence. Smile
      ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I wasn't posting that because lurkers bothered me. Just trying to help give a "nudge" to people who were sitting on the fence about whether or not they were going to do it. You may have noticed that just about everybody in that group is going at their own pace. I think there's maybe one person who hasn't posted that they were repeating a workout, a week, SOMETHING... Hmm... kinda reminds me of C25K. Tongue I'm still on week 2 and don't expect to finish it for another 3 weeks at least... Roll eyes I think that if you're "doing it, but at my own pace" then you match just about everyone else there! No need to leave!

I don't want to get into an argument over this, but your two posts seem to be contradictory. Either lurkers bother you:
          Post or get kicked from the group!
          or they don't:
          I wasn't posting that because lurkers bothered me.
          Since I only had the information from the first post, well... To each his own. I'm glad to have gotten a heads up about how you are running the group. I think my current status in the group is now the appropriate one. Wink
          ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
          Wingz

Professional Noob

I don't want to get into an argument over this, but your two posts seem to be contradictory. Either lurkers bother you: or they don't: Since I only had the information from the first post, well... To each his own. I'm glad to have gotten a heads up about how you are running the group. I think my current status in the group is now the appropriate one. Wink
            Ah, I see what you're saying. I apologize if I unintentionally hurt your feelings. Good luck with your push-ups!

Wingz

Professional Noob

Meewolfie, thanks for the feedback. I just realized how to better say what I had been trying to say... and perhaps it won't seem so contradictory this way. Lurkers don't bother me personally. Lurk or not - it's your business. But the purpose of that group was, as I understood it, to help give people motivation to stick with the program and to successfully accomplish it. Said motivation being provided by group accountability and by interacting with others with the same goals. From that POV, lurking seems to be a "maybe I will but maybe I won't" kind of thing, and if you've been "maybe I will or maybe I won't" for a month or so (as most people on that list were) then I thought a nudge would help get them particpating. So... that's where I was coming from. I'd like to here where you were coming from because obviously I can only see one side right now. I realize that I've been wrong before. Many times. Wink I am not asking this to argue but to better understand where you are coming from... What did you get out of the group while you were there? Why did you choose to lurk as opposed to participate? Why did you choose to participate on the C25k group as opposed to lurk? If you could roll back the clock and set the push-ups group up any way you wanted to, what kind of set-up would have benefitted you most? What else should I know? Thank you so much for speaking up. I really am interested in what you have to say.

I'll jump in if you don't mind....I think what the C25K group has that the 100 pushup group does not is some kind of weekly check-in (not an official Week of the program, but a weekly check-in Aug 10-17 type thing). I might post in there if, say, I completed W2D1 last night and it kicked my ass. There seem to be posts for Weekly program goals (totals, what's your Week 3 start, etc), but nothing along the way, so those of us who are repeating weeks/going off-program somewhat are kind of stuck with nowhere to post unless we start something new? I realize that I said all that and I could have taken the initiative to start a Weekly check-in post and I haven't, so understand that I am not complaining, just my thoughts on the differences between these two groups.
                2009 Goals:
                PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                Run a 10K
                Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                Complete my first Sprint Tri
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Good idea. Wish ya'd started it earler. Tongue Started. Big grin

What did you get out of the group while you were there? I joined the group to use it as an information resource. I've been doing the program and figured that if I ever had any questions or was looking for inspiration, I could browse the threads and see if I could find what I needed. Perhaps the people would have funny or inspiring stories to tell that would be interesting to read. MTA: I browsed around a bit and didn't see anything too interesting. I figured I'd stick around a bit and see if time would bring about more conversation. Honestly, I don't spend all of my time visiting every group. Sometimes I just check occasionally. If you find that unacceptable for the groups that you moderate? Well, now I know! Why did you choose to lurk as opposed to participate? See answer above. I'm not doing the program at the standard pace. I'm not a "reporter". That's not my personality. I am inspired and I learn by reading about other people's experiences. Many times a group provides this for me. If I ever feel like I have something special or unique to contribute, then I may jump in and participate. Most times, I find that anything I have to add is simply repeating things that have already been posted. Why did you choose to participate on the C25k group as opposed to lurk? Perhaps I thought that I could contribute something to the conversation. Maybe I was able to, maybe I didn't. I do feel like there is a certain expectation to address every post, by every person. I find that if it's required by the mods, the replies can become perfunctory and insincere. I prefer to participate when I feel that I can be sincere - or if there is a question that hasn't been fully answered (or has a viable, alternative answer) and I think I may be able to help answer. Some people are shy. Yes. It's true. Some people jump right into social groups and feel comfortable participating right away. Other people prefer to check out things and stick their toe in when it feels right. MTA: Re-reading this, I think this is key. Call out a shy person with the message that they will be kicked out if they don't participate and guess what they are going to do? If you could roll back the clock and set the push-ups group up any way you wanted to, what kind of set-up would have benefitted you most? I don't think this is for me to say. I'll give you an example of another group that seems similar, though. There is a weight loss group here. It seems to mostly involve posting daily calorie counts and weigh-ins. This works for those people. I lurk in that group, because as I said earlier, I'm not much of a "reporter". I find conversation about the topic more useful. Do I think that the format of the group is wrong? Absolutely not. It's just not beneficial to me. So, I still belong. I lurk. Which means that I occasionally check in to see if anything of interest has been posted - but I don't participate. I guess, my first impression of the push-ups group was similar. As simply a place to post results. I understand the benefit of this type of accountability, but it's kind of boring reading!! Smile Totally valid, but the way I see it, why does anyone really care how many push-ups I've done? So, when you posted here, pushing for participation and threatening to kick people out of the group, I figured that was fine. If you don't want people who aren't going to post their results regularly then I could quit since I hadn't even visited the forum for the group in several weeks. What else should I know? Perhaps if posting results is required for participation, then state that for people when they join. I do agility with my dog and just learned about a yahoo group that discusses the handling system that I use. I think the group looks very interesting. However, the rules clearly state that weekly or monthly participation is required. I'm very inexperienced compared to the people who participate in the group and I feel that initially, I don't see that I would have much to contribute. Given that the rules were posted up front, I decided that I probably wouldn't be able to meet the posting criteria, and so have not yet joined. Perhaps in a few months, I'll feel like I have more to contribute (elite agility people can be very intimidating) and may get up the courage to join. Also, my participation online is limited by my computer access and time. If I can't update regularly because of intermittent internet access, I don't want to feel that I'll be "punished" or called out. So, if rules about required regular posting are posted, then I can decide for myself if I know that I won't meet that requirement and thus will not join up.
                    ~ Mary ~

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks, meewolfie. I appreciate your candid responses. Got a thunderstorm going on here and have to shut down, but I wanted to let you know I appreciated it.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Before I answer, I have to post this. I saw this last weekend in the funny pages, and couldn't stop laughing... because I saw myself too too clearly there...

Wingz

Professional Noob

I couldn't stop laughing last weekend. This past Wednesday, I told a friend of mine about the cartoon... and then followed it up with "... and I think it may be me!" Today, I told someone else about what I'd done, and (completely without malice) they told me "You like trouble." *sigh* That may be true. I am often consumed by an almost irresistable urge to... meddle. Meewolfie, you're right. I probably should never have gone there. However, cat being out of the bag and all that, the best option I see for the group at this time is to advertise a group no-lurking policy on the home page and give everyone fair warning. Thank you again for giving me so much to think about and for your honest feedback. I wish you the best on your persuit of the 100 push-ups. I'd encourage you to look at the back pages of the program site over on www.hundredpushups.com because it has some links you might like... about blogging it, spreading the word, getting your name on his official list, and some very cool merchandising. Smile

running buddies

Wingz - Some of us just need a kick in the pants to make the decision to start. That's what your "threat" did for me. So, I've done the initial test, and I'll start the program on Monday, since M,W,F will work well for me. I may never post over there again except for my progress - but then, those graphs really do help me. As long as I get to stay anonymous in my real life... Blush
                            "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Wingz - Some of us just need a kick in the pants to make the decision to start. That's what your "threat" did for me. So, I've done the initial test, and I'll start the program on Monday, since M,W,F will work well for me. I may never post over there again except for my progress - but then, those graphs really do help me. As long as I get to stay anonymous in my real life... Blush
                              Glad to hear it did some good. Wink Good luck on your challenge!

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

You have a group? Why did I not see this group form? I've tried starting it twice now. First time I got to week 2 and this second time I got through week 3 and got my husband to do it, but then we missed a few days and then stopped. I need to restart!
                                -Jen
                                2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!