Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 21 - 27 (Read 540 times)

zzz

Good morning everyone!!! Just thought I would start the new weekly thread (am I allowed to do that?) and say have a great week!!!! Sure wish some of the tropical storms/hurricanes out there would hit the East Coast a little bit... we need some help with these forest fires. UP AND AT 'EM RUNNERS!!! Big grin
    theyapper

On the road again...

I got up and ran early this morning (6:30 am) so I could beat the expected triple digit temps later in the day. Still humid as ever and I was one sweaty mess when I got done. OHR W6D1 is the 30 minute run. I've decided to use these runs to experiment with stride length and turnover rate (that's how fast you actually pick your foot up and put it down). I've been a skeptic of the fact that shortening your stride but increasing the turnover rate can actually quicken your pace, but I was proven wrong today. I just ran 3.3 miles in 30 minutes. Holy smokes, that's right at a 9 m/m pace. I was tired at the end, but not to the "falling over in a sweaty heap" point of exhaustion. The shorter stride really helps keep stress off my shins, too. Anyway, I don't share this to brag, although I'm pretty excited. I think it's a good lesson for newer runners (and wingz will correct me if I'm wrong) to run correctly. We think that running faster means lengthening the stride, which at least in my case caused some injury that took a week and a half of no running to get over. Run within yourself.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hi everyone! First time poster, long time reader :-) I've been lurking here for a few weeks now but hadn't quite worked up to posting. You've all been an inspiration and provided tons of motivation as I've worked steadily, but slowly, through the program. I'll be doing w5d2 tonight and I'm feeling great. A little nervous about the impending w5d3 run, but I think I'll be fine as long as I keep it slow. Have a great week!
        theyapper

On the road again...

I'll be doing w5d2 tonight and I'm feeling great. A little nervous about the impending w5d3 run, but I think I'll be fine as long as I keep it slow.
          You'll do great. Don't hurry through it, take your time and you'll amaze yourself!

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Owen, welcome to the group! W5D3 is a big run but the intervals have prepared you for it. Today is a 16 minute run with a walk break in the middle. Run three isn't that much further/longer. You can do this! Week 5 is a huge confidence booster! Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I also am a first time poster, long time reader Big grin I am doing C25K and I just completed week 6 last night. I do not run (jog) very fast. Actually I did the map route on this website and for the 25 minute run, I went 1.8 miles and it comes out to 13:50 mile. YIKES! I am 41, and never ran in my life until 6 weeks ago. I never thought I could run for 2 minutes straight, let alone 25 minutes. Although, I will say, that the course I ran last night had LOTS of hills. So, I'm anxious to run on the track tomorrow at our high school and see if my distance will increase! I am running my first 5K in 26 days, just after I finish week 9 Big grin Thank you for all of your encouraging words of wisdom! So, I hope everyone has a great running week! Looking forward to running in a little less humidity!
              Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
              theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome, ernsberger. Remember that pace isn't nearly as important as that first sentence you typed - "I am doing C25K and I just completed week 6 last night." That's all that matters right now. Speed and endurance improves as your running continues. For a lot of us here, it kind of takes care of itself the more committed we are to simply running. Great job.

Paul

running buddies

Yapper - I have found the same thing with the short stride and quicker turnover. I've been going pretty much straight through the C25K (repeated week 5 once) and OHR( just finished W6 yesterday), and so far have been pain and injury free. I take pretty darn small steps but I sure take a lot of them. When I've tried to run in the past, I always had wicked shin splints, but no problems with that this time, despite being a LOT older than I was when I tried to be a runner in the past. I think I'm going at a 10.5-11minute/mile pace - I've only checked a couple times. (I'm also trying to pick up the pace a little for the 30 minute runs.) For you other OHRs out there - are you following the schedule as written? I know quotidianlight is going extra days. I'm thinking about bumping up the middle-length run by 2-3 minutes/week to make the long run seem less extreme to me. Looking ahead to this week, when I have two under-35-minute runs, and then a 45 minute run... that last one just feels mentally impossible, even though I did my 41 minute run yesterday and felt good at the end. Seems like a 30 minute run, a 37-38 minute run and then the 45 minute run would be better for my psyche - Anyone who's been through this have an opinion? I don't want to get hurt! For you C25Kers - If I can be looking at running 45 minutes straight and thinking that it's probably do-able, you can get here, too. I've only been running since late April, and I have no natural athletic ability whatsoever - I've never done any sports or anything like that. I'm just an average "Jane". Have a good week, everyone.
                  "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)

The young Mama Bear!

Kelly and Owen, welcome! I don't know why people don't post in here earlier...are we like a tank of pissed off sharks? Angry Tongue W5D3 is scary, yeah. I remember being scared of it, but even if you have to shuffle along to get done...do it. That feeling afterward cannot be beat. What's so wrong with a 13:50 mile, eh? *gives the evil eye* For the record, when I'm not doing the long jogs, my mile time is well over 15 minutes. I have no shame in saying that. Just do you and you'll be fine! W6D1 done. It was killer hot outside and hence the jog was killer. The 5 minute jogs weren't bad, but the 8 minute jog...boy oh boy. I never look at my watch and I was just praying for it TO END! This heat needs to stop or I don't know what I'll do. Surprised And the weather forecast said 'overcast' all day...pft on them!
                    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                    theyapper

On the road again...

For you other OHRs out there - are you following the schedule as written? I know quotidianlight is going extra days. I'm thinking about bumping up the middle-length run by 2-3 minutes/week to make the long run seem less extreme to me. Looking ahead to this week, when I have two under-35-minute runs, and then a 45 minute run... that last one just feels mentally impossible, even though I did my 41 minute run yesterday and felt good at the end. Seems like a 30 minute run, a 37-38 minute run and then the 45 minute run would be better for my psyche - Anyone who's been through this have an opinion? I don't want to get hurt!
                      I've been tempted to add a day or even lengthen the runs, mainly because now that I've discovered the "secret" of short strides and quicker turnovers, I always feel like I can do more. BUT, I'm not going to. Being overanxious to run faster, farther, and in general make up for a life of no running in a matter of months, is what got me hurt. I was blessed to not have a major injury, but I got the message loud and clear. I'm following the training programs to the letter until I have a better feel for my body and can chart my own course safely. Oh, and that 45 minute run? You're gonna kill it.

Paul

Jazz hands!

Hi guys! I've decided to start OHR (again) this week, except I'm modifying it to be "6 mile runner," since I'm already doing 3mi / 3x per week. I did OHR (the time version) last fall, but was in the wrong shoes, had knee problems, had to take a break and never quite picked up the mileage again. I'm still having stupid problems but hopefully they're getting resolved, and the first four weeks are "run 3 miles, 3x" anyway. Happy running!
                        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                          Anyway, I don't share this to brag, although I'm pretty excited. I think it's a good lesson for newer runners (and wingz will correct me if I'm wrong) to run correctly. We think that running faster means lengthening the stride, which at least in my case caused some injury that took a week and a half of no running to get over. Run within yourself.
                          I want can't wait till I can start working on speed. That is amazing that you could see such a difference right away. runswithdogs Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't lengthen the mid runs because the short runs allow you to recover from the long runs etc. What I did is duplicate the shorter run days and keep my long runs the same. So far it's worked really week but don't just add new days all at once. Like add the new day as a super short run and gradually bring it up just like you would the rest of the program so you still follow the 10% rule. I added my extra days as walk/run days during the C25K so my body had a chance to acclimate slowly. I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't noticed my asthma was worse if I had two off days in a row.
                          You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                          theyapper

On the road again...

Good to have you on the OHR again, Squeaky.

Paul

MoonStar

Took my running shoes to the store yesterday to try to figure out why they have holes after less than 100 miles. I thought I had been measured wrong or they were defective. The guy said that I have a stride that involves me flexing my great toe during the stride. He said that he didn't think that it would cause me any problems except wearing through shoes sooner - however I would think it might make me more prone to shin splints - anyone know anything about this? I am going to try to consciously try to not flex my big toe when I run tomorrow. Don't know how hard this is going to be because I didn't know I was doing this to begin with. The guy didn't try to sell me more shoes, just put some white duct tape one the inside for me and told me to do this before I start wearing them when I get my next pair! Shocked
                                Took my running shoes to the store yesterday to try to figure out why they have holes after less than 100 miles. I thought I had been measured wrong or they were defective. The guy said that I have a stride that involves me flexing my great toe during the stride. He said that he didn't think that it would cause me any problems except wearing through shoes sooner - however I would think it might make me more prone to shin splints - anyone know anything about this? I am going to try to consciously try to not flex my big toe when I run tomorrow. Don't know how hard this is going to be because I didn't know I was doing this to begin with. The guy didn't try to sell me more shoes, just put some white duct tape one the inside for me and told me to do this before I start wearing them when I get my next pair! Shocked
                                How to tell your sales person is a runner. He repairs shoes with duct tape Big grin My mom does that even just walking. It's going to be really hard to try to not flex using just will power. I would bet you have some muscle strength imbalances though so maybe some foot/toe exercises and regular time in yogatoes would help. Good luck and they have duct tape in pretty colors lol
                                You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here