Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 21 - 27 (Read 540 times)

OUCH! W4D3 is done. I headed out the door a little late tonight, got through my five minute warm up walk, and then started running. I felt really good. I did the first three minute run, walked for a minute and a half, started the five minute run, got about 30-40 seconds into it... and stuck my foot into an uncovered drainhole and went down like a bag of hammers on the pavement, right in front of all the people outside the pub and God and everyone. I kept going. I only stopped long enough to pick myself up and assure the people who'd come to help me that I was alive and OK, and I added an extra 15 seconds on at the end, and I think I've gone a little faster from trying to ignore the pain coming from the scrapes. It's only now that I'm home that I've had a chance to inspect the damage. I've scraped all the skin off the outer side of my right little finger, there's a small raw patch on my right shoulder (which was covered!) and my knee (which was also covered!) is bloody. I really, really need a shower, but I know it's going to sting like a sonofabitch when I get under the water. So, yeah. It hurts. But I'm really kind of proud of myself for getting back on my feet and HTFU and finishing.
    Wow, I can't wait till I have those kinds of huevos!
    You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
    Wingz

Professional Noob

What is YogaToes? OHR w2d1 done. Tried to think about not picking my big toe up today - I found that I really am doing this. Darn. I'ld rather have defective shoes. Seems to be maybe I need to lift my knee higher when I am running and flex more at the ankle? Very hard to change the way I run. I'm trying to decide whether or not I need to change it or not. Maybe this was contributing to the shin splints I was having trouble with a few months ago. Oliviars22 - what time are you going to sleep? Bet that has something to do with it too. I usually try to go down between 10:30 and 11 and wake up on my own between 6:30 and 7. It also takes awhile to adjust to any new sleep pattern. Alarms help until you figure out what time you need to go to bed to wake up on your own at a certain time.
      MoonStar, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Just a couple of days ago I was thinking about your toe/shoe thing and I realized it was probably the source of your shin splints. D'oh! I was talking with R about this today, and he suggested for you to try with your running to think about getting some push-off from the ground with your toes. Chances are, you're thinking more about your heel landing than about your toe push-off, and in your case concentrating on the last part of your foot-on-the-ground-step might hold the key to being able to break that habit. Just don't tense your foot too much. (Easier said than done?) Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Earlier, someone was talking about whether or not to run with little steps on the front of their feet vs taking longer steps. They said I'd correct them if they were wrong. Heh. You'll soon find, if you haven't already, that the world is full of opinions about the best way to run. Everyone thinks their method is right. Practically speaking, if what you're doing is working for you, you're happy with it, and you're uninjured, my opinion is that you're running correctly. For some people that means running on the front of their feet. For others, the heel. Some people concentrate on taking lots of little steps. Some people try to get as much out of each step as possible. My understanding is that striving to take super-long steps is a pretty short road to injury. BUT... if it's working for you, you're happy with it, and you're remaining uninjured, who am I to disagree? Wink I only presume to talk to MoonStar about her gait because she's my big sis and how often is it that the younger sibling gets to tell the older what to do? Evil grin Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

running buddies

Maybe I should change my name to: "Runs with scissors" Two places on the trail I usually run have really gotten overgrown with invasive florabunda roses and keep scratching my legs when I'm out there, so today before I left I picked up my pruning shears and carried them with me. After I'd hit the trail, I realized I was actually running with scissors, and wondered how stupid was that? Roll eyes Equally dorky, I couldn't find my $10 digital watch that I use to time my runs, so I brought my digital kitchen timer. It wouldn't stay clipped on my shorts, so there I was, a timer in my left hand, and my pruning shears in my right. Of course, this was the day I saw a friend of mine out with her dog on the trail - luckily, she's a good friend and focused on the fact that I was actually running, and not that I looked like a crazed housewife. Blush Glad I didn't take a tumble like you did, sefkhet. I could have impaled myself. Hope you heal up soon.
          "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

runswithdogs, now that is funny! I'm sure you were a sight! I went for my run today and I saw a flash of lightning ahead and a little to my left. Okay, it's just one flash. Then I saw one to my right and a little behind me so I turned around and headed back. Cut off early and didn't go all the way back to where I started. About 0.68 miles when I mapped it. When I got home, within ten seconds, the wind really picked up and a minute later, it was coming down sheets of rain, huge thunder and lightning all around. I got home just in time. I will run in heat and humidity, rain or wind, but I will not run in lightning. So little disappointed I didn't get to run much, but my safety is much more important than a bit of disappointment.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

Earlier, someone was talking about whether or not to run with little steps on the front of their feet vs taking longer steps. They said I'd correct them if they were wrong. Heh. You'll soon find, if you haven't already, that the world is full of opinions about the best way to run. Everyone thinks their method is right. Practically speaking, if what you're doing is working for you, you're happy with it, and you're uninjured, my opinion is that you're running correctly. For some people that means running on the front of their feet. For others, the heel. Some people concentrate on taking lots of little steps. Some people try to get as much out of each step as possible. My understanding is that striving to take super-long steps is a pretty short road to injury. BUT... if it's working for you, you're happy with it, and you're remaining uninjured, who am I to disagree? Wink
              Thanks, wingz, for adding the above info. I emphasized and underlined the section that I've come to believe the most. That's why I'm now a short stride taker - I still land heel first and take off with a toe push, but I don't try to extend my stride as far as possible anymore. When I say "run within yourself" that's what I'm talking about.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

zzz

hey everyone.... just finished w4d1.... we did sort of a rambling route with more running than we should have but laurie had a girlfriend who just got out of the navy who came to visit so we just chatted and ran and then continued to talk and run about 45 minutes... felt great though.... my butt muscles are sore... kinda bummed that we're behind a week bc of repeating week 3 but i guess it goes with the territory... sounds like everyone is doing well... meg good decision about the lightning.... runswithscissors.... you have me laughing with the image of you running with your hands full of goofy paraphanalia (sic?) <---- just for you yapper ;) i want some yoga toes!!! night all have a great day tomorrow!!! just="" for="" you="" yapper="" ;)="" i="" want="" some="" yoga="" toes!!!="" night="" all="" have="" a="" great="" day="" tomorrow!!!=""></---- just for you yapper ;) i want some yoga toes!!! night all have a great day tomorrow!!! >
                  What is YogaToes? Oliviars22 - what time are you going to sleep? Bet that has something to do with it too. I usually try to go down between 10:30 and 11 and wake up on my own between 6:30 and 7. It also takes awhile to adjust to any new sleep pattern. Alarms help until you figure out what time you need to go to bed to wake up on your own at a certain time.
                  Yes it does. I go to sleep around 2-3am so yeah. It's an endless cycle. the last day of school I go to bed at like 11 and still get up at 11. then I can't fall asleep until 12-1 so i get up later. I would sleep all day if I could. I think I'm naturally nocturnal. Is that possible?? I have trouble staying awake during the dayy and can fall asleep so easily then after about 7 or 8 it takes me longer to fall asleep annd I feel really awake.even if i got up early that day. hmm... Oh well its summer.
                  Goals: Run.
                    So, I did Week 7 Day 1 last night at the gym on the treadmill. I ran for 25 mins and covered 2 miles. I was thrilled to be at a 12:50 mile. Normally I run outside, but last night opted for the gym. Question, I ran at a 1% incline. Now that I have my first 5K a little over 3 weeks from now, how does the treadmill running compare to outdoor running? The bike trail is flat where the race will take place. Thanks Smile
                    Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

More turtle than hare...

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but I've still been running. I did a nice 5.6k this morning and haven't missed a run in a long time! It's interesting to read the posts about stride and form, we're real, legit runners for sure! Big grin Runswithdogsscissors, your story made me laugh out loud.
                      theyapper

On the road again...

This morning was my run for W6D2 of the OHR. Nice, relaxed 33 minute run covering just over 3 miles. Travel plans will allow me to rest the next 2 days before I tackle the long 41 minute run on Saturday.

Paul

Hi everybody, Great reading the posts again this week. Welcome to all those sneaky (not so) newbies. If there are more of you out there, come on in, we don't bite. Had my first post-grad run today. tried to cover the 3 miles and see how long it would take. miscalculated by 0.05 miles, doh! - still covered 2.95 in 32.54 and had a big old sprint at the end. Keep going everyone

The young Mama Bear!

LMAO, guys. Seems like ya'll have been having fun without me! Wink W6D2 done, and boy was it tough on me. It wasn't even hot! The Bigger Kahuna is up ahead...wow. I think I can do it, but what if I die? Blush
                            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                            theyapper

On the road again...

At least you'll die running. Big grin

Paul

zzz

hey goddess... just cheer yourself on like you do everyone here... you'll be fine. Big grin Oliviars... I think your sleep cycle, amount of sleeping has much to do with your age... you are still young and have growing to do...maybe not taller but still growing... ernsberger... i've always heard that a treadmill at a 1-2% incline simulates wind resistance so you sound like you did fine. although I did discover that no matter how much I ran on a treadmill I couldn't make it work the same on the street so I decided I would just hit the streets... I don't transition well. Tons of rain today....yippee love thunderstorms!!!