Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 21 - 27 (Read 540 times)

Hey all, sounds like everyone is doing great! Smile I just did w5d3 this evening and it went really well. Legs felt strong and I had no problem going the time at what felt like a conversational pace most of the time. BUT my heart rate was way higher than normal. It was high before I even left the house, 10-15 BPM more than normal, and my running rate was also 10-15 more than normal. Topped out 175 BPM at the very end of the run which is 92% of max if I believe the 220-age formula. Shocked That's obviously way too high, but I felt fine. I'm not sure what to make of it... I did have some ben&jerrys coffee ice cream with espresso chips in it a couple of hours prior Blush Maybe that had something to do with it? I normally wouldn't have eaten something (especially that) so soon before a run but it was a work social event... and well I have to be social Tongue
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The 220 minus age isn't reliable so don't stress about it. Go by how you feel. Was it hot there today? There are a lot of things that can contribute to a higher heart rate; heat and humidity are only two. Caffeine is probably a contributor too, but hey, one must have ice cream. (I love ice cream!) Feels good to do the W5D3 run, doesn't it? Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

I just did w5d3 this evening and it went really well. Legs felt strong and I had no problem going the time at what felt like a conversational pace most of the time.
        You knocked the first 20 minute run out of the park?? Can I get an autograph? Smile

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

At least you'll die running. Big grin
          LMAO. That's so true, it's kinda sad. :0) Thanks, turtlechick! And it's raining tons here...I love it! Owen, congrats! I know I was super souped when I got that done. What are you going to celebrate with? Cool Making playlists for the 'long' jogs is almost too much fun. Everyone, go see The Dark Knight...especially if you just finished off a week. ;]
          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            Morning everyone. So I attempted W8D2 (C25K) last night. I actually only made it 25 minutes though Sad Can't remember if I posted in here or just out on the Health & Nutrition forum, but I've had some lower leg pain that I've tentatively self-diagnosed as posterior shin splints. After my last run (that would be W8D1 last Thursday), the next morning my legs were very very sore, painful walking down stairs in particular...the pain persisted over the weekend although not nearly as bad (but I could still feel that something wasn't right, you know)...anyway, so last night was my first run since, and I felt OK going into it, I could barely feel a twinge of pain going down stairs, so I went for it. First mile was fine but I felt like I was running faster than normal (I wasn't...I run on the TM and I always run at 5 mph). I slowed down to 4.8 mph for the remainder of the run. At about 20 minutes I was getting some lower leg pain and knee pain a little so I stopped for a 30 second guzzle water & stretch break, then started again...OW, the leg pain was much worse resuming running but got a little better after maybe 30 seconds....got to 24 minutes and the pain was back, enough that I was kind of wincing a little and I thought, don't be stupid, you're going to hurt yourself. So I pushed to the 25 minute mark and stopped and walked for another 5 minutes or so. I must have looked like I was really struggling with the run because this old guy on the TM next to me (who had been running the whole time I was, at the same or a slightly faster pace, oi) asked me how far I went and congratulated me on a great run. hehe, thanks old guy. So I iced my legs last night, meant to take some aleve but for the life of me couldn't find any in the house....this morning I was expecting to be in more pain than I am, so that's good. I will ice some more tonight, find some aleve, and I'm hoping to be able to do W8D3 on Friday. BTW, ernsberger, I too have been told that a TM set to 1% incline simulates road conditions. I have done all my running on the TM and I am totally freaked out about the switch to running on the road. Once I finish C25K I'm going to continue progressing until I get to the full 5K distance, but I think I'll do those runs outside to prep for my 5K on August 30th. Runswithdogs/scissors/kitchen timer....thanks.....I needed a laugh first thing this morning Smile Hehehe
            2009 Goals:
            PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
            Run a 10K
            Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
            Complete my first Sprint Tri
            zzz

Hey Jen that just sounds scary... I hate even the slightest twinge or hint of pain mostly bc I am afraid that I am going to get sidelined with an injury and lose my motivation.... I mean when I am running I think I would give anything to quit but to be forced to would just tweak me. Good deal on the icing... keep us posted on how you are feeling.... omccabe if you feel like that ben and jerry's is affecting your run I *dramatic sigh and pause here* will step up to the plate and remove the temptation for you... just go ahead and send all your ice cream to me. Evil grin Smoking sends your heart rate through the roof too which surprised me last year when I went to hit the Dreadmill at the gym after smoking a ciggie.... and that was just walking and I was dying!!! oh and I am one month 2 days without a ciggie Smile I feel sooo much better!!!
                jenner & turtlechick: thanks. I'll just keep doing the 1% incline then on the TM. My runs are about half and half between running outside and running on the TM. I am still at the point that I don't feel comfortable running alone outside. I have this horrible fear of hyper ventilating (or God forbid...dying) and not having anyone to rescue me Dead So, when my 16 yr old daughter can't go with me, I run at the gym. My course at home though does involve some hills so I guess that is good training. Jenner: I think you will enjoy the switch to the outdoors. I actually enjoy some change of scenery when I'm outside. Plus I feel so much freer for whatever reason! Keep up the good work! I just ran W7D1 on Tuesday. So, week 9 is just around the corner for me also! Have a great day all Big grin
                Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
                  Hey Jen, sorry about the leg pain :-( I know you won't want to, but it might be wise to back off a little bit on your next time out. Maybe take an extra day off, or cut the run a little shorter than scheduled. I'm sure you're itching to keep going and continue to improve but if you're feeling leg pain now, backing off a little short term could save you something more serious long term. This is my 3rd attempt at getting back into running in the past 2 years. One was on my own made up schedule and I hurt my back badly and ended up hobbling around for a couple of weeks. Second time was c25k but I was going way too fast and had bad shin splints and quit around week 4. In both cases I was running through pain and ignoring it and paid for it by not being able to run at all. This time around, I'm taking it as easy as I can and paying attention to even the smallest of twinges. I think I'm practically a hypochondriac where my legs are concerned at this point Wink Turtlechick - congrats on quitting smoking! But keep your hands off my ice cream :-P Goddess, Yapper, Meg - thanks! I celebrated with a couple of nice cold beers. :-)
                  theyapper

On the road again...

Jenner - just wanted to echo the thought about taking some time off. I know you don't want to, but you'll be amazed what a day or 2 off could do for you pain and, believe it or not, your motivation. You'll feel stronger and you'll be dying to get out and run again. Be smart. We're all in this for the long haul, right? A couple days rest in exchange for a lifetime discipline of running is a pretty good exchange. Hope everyone has a great week-end of running. I'll be down in Columbia, SC, visiting family and will do my big 41 minute run in a new environment on Saturday. I can't wait!

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Jen, I agree with the others that you should let up a bit if you are having pain. A couple of days off now is better than a month (or more) later to rehab an injury. I see on your log that you are running with fairly new shoes. Did you start having a problem after the new shoes? It might be worth going to a specialty running store to get them checked to make sure they are indeed the right kind for you (ie. stability, neutral, etc.) Some runners need to get a bit of mileage on shoes before they know if they are right. Next week, the local running store is having a kickoff run to start the campaign for "Run for the Cure" (breast cancer run) which is held every year in October. I think it's a good opportunity for me to get in another group run before my 5K in August. I'm guessing it'll be a 2 mile run like the last one I did.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Ran W2D2 of C25K with my 14 year old daughter. She was dogging it and I was struggling but we managed. Smile Then the 5 year old boy and I did some cool down work. I think the little stinker could out sprint me if he really tried. Smile It was a great day for running, overcast and 65F this afternoon. Hard to beat except for running when the snow starts falling.
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

ernsberger: Outdoor running's a slightly different beast than treadmill running, and the best way to know how you'll react to it is to give it a try! I really suggest you try running on a similar surface to what you're going to be racing on BEFORE you get to race day. It's different when you have to set your own pace, and what seems like a flat trail sometimes seems mountainous when you're tired... Wink omccabe: I think it's fair to say that expresso affects the heart rate. Wink Keep an eye on it and make sure you're back to normal, but I think a one-time increase isn't anything to worry about... And yeah. Like Meg says... 220-age doesn't work for about 2/3 of people. Roll eyes Also, re: your multiple attempts to start running... It sounds to me like you've got exactly what it takes to be a successful, long-time runner: you keep on trying and you learn from experience. Keep up the good work! Big grin goddess9: Dont' hate me, but I saw the Dark Knight and thought it was only "okay." It was too long, and IMO not very original. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. Big grin JennerVT: Did you get enough responses in the main forum about your shins? I'm not that familiar with shin troubles but generally speaking if three days off doesn't fix something it's time to dig a little deeper into finding out what the problem is... turtlechick: Congrats on making it past the hardest month in quitting smoking! Cool Whoo hoo! Big grin chupchup: Kids can really run some times! Just remember: old age and trechery win out most times... Evil grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zzz

good morning everyone!! Lauri and I did W4D2 last night and I think I did pretty well... the first 3 and 5 minutes we did fine and the second 3 minute was good but when I got half way through the second 5 min run interval I walked for about 45 seconds. We added some running onto the end to make up for it. Next week is the 8 min run and we're going to dl some really good music to run to... how did you all make the jump from 8 to 20 min... that seems sooo overwhelming....
                              Thanks everyone for the comments and advice re: my leg pain. I'm happy to report that as of this morning the pain is less than it has been in the last week. It looks like the ice + aleve trick is working. I'm going to try W8D3 tonight (I have a very hard time getting out for a run on weekends, plus it's supposed to rain, so I want to at least try to fit it in after work today), go slow, listen to my body, and stop if it hurts. If that's the case I may switch to the elliptical to take the impact away as I suspect that might have something to do with it. Meg-I've only recently started logging my runs, the shoes I bought in Week 2 of C25K, so they're about two months old now. That said, they seem to be wearing faster than I would have expected. I think I may make an appt with my doc to see if custom orthotics would be a good idea. I'm plagued with flat, wide feet, and I overpronate. It's very hard to find good shoes to fit my feet.
                              2009 Goals:
                              PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                              Run a 10K
                              Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                              Complete my first Sprint Tri
                              theyapper

On the road again...

how did you all make the jump from 8 to 20 min... that seems sooo overwhelming....
                                It took me a couple of tries to get there, but knowing now what I do, I realize that I just tried to run way too fast. The key to that jump is to take your time. When you do that 20 minute run, you're really only adding 4 minutes to your total running time. Trust the plan and your body and you'll be fine! I woke up early this morning and decided to do my OHR W6D3 run today instead of waiting until Saturday. It was my longest run yet - 41:00 covering 3.77 miles. Nice and relaxed and it felt great. Have a wonderful day, ya'll! I'm off with the family to spend a day in beautiful Charleston, SC.

Paul