Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 10 - Aug.16th. (Read 523 times)

Ran W5D2 with Copper on a beautiful overcast Iowa morning. I had some doubt when I started, but I slowed down the pace for the first 8, walked faster, and was easily able to finish up. The thing I've noticed most about the changes in my body so far is the feeling in my legs when I go up stairs. It's like there is a tension in them ... sort of like a rubber band that been stretched and is ready to snap back. Runswithdogs, I understand what you mean about the dog waste. It always seems to take forever to get back in the groove after stopping to take care of the dog's business. Luckily he almost always eliminates near the end of the warm up. The other thing I do is not feed the dog for at least 2 hours before a run. Do your dogs eat at certain times of the day or is there always food in the bowl? Yesterday I got a call from my wife because the dog ate her prize apple tree, but other than that he pretty much eats just two times a day. Wink
      DONE Big grin FINISHED Wink COMPLETO Tongue FINITO Cool (sorry, I got carried away) I have finished C25K! I'm so excited. I ran my 30 minutes, and covered 2.43 miles. that is pretty exciting, because if I can keep up that pace, I should be able to finish the 5K tomorrow in under 40 minutes. So, this is the first real thing I can remember for a long time that I actually finished. I'm feeling very good about it and glad I stuck with it. I definitely can say.... "I am a runner"..... And it feels good. Everyone is doing awesome! Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't....because you can...and should Wink ***Countdown to 5K ~ 24 hours****
      Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Hi guys haven't been on much b/c I went to RI for a few days of relaxing in the sun! I didn't let my training go to waste either, had a couple nice runs on very flat streets! My pace increased by a whole minute! DH was excited for me to run faster but I know it's b/c there were no hills whatsoever! I ran my last 25 min run and I start the 28 mins tomorrow. I'm nervous and excited! There is a very steep (but gradual) hill in my route and it still kicks my butt on bad days. Congrats to ernsberger! and good luck in your 5K tomorrow! ChupChup good luck with the dog situation! Tongue
        -Jen
        2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
          Congrats, ernsberger!
          2008 Goals:
          1. Finish C25K
          2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
          3. Complete One Hour Runner
          erendis

goodluck ernsberger!! just finished week 7 day 3- felt more energetic today, and i was able to go a little further during my 25 min. i felt like i could run faster, but i wanted to stay in the "conversational pace" so i monitored my breathing rate as i've been reading about to make sure i didn't go too fast and thus make another week of tired running like i did last time. i'm SOO ready for week 8!
            I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
            theyapper

On the road again...

OHR W9D3 - 54 minutes This was the long run and I was really hoping to do 3 things: 1) run the distance of an 8k 2) keep my pace under control 3) not die I had in my mind that an 8k was somewhere around 5.1 miles, so I figured if I ran something between 10:30 - 11:00 m/m, I'd be close enough that I could sprint at the end. To make sure I did that (an achieved #2 above), I kept my SportBand on pace display for the first half of the run so that I'd be sure to not overdo it. Unfortunately, this made me too aware of pace and I went faster than I probably should have. The good news, though, is that I felt good and could still talk. Only after I got done did I find out that an 8k is only 4.97 miles, so I def hit that mark. Ended up with 5.37 miles. ernsberger - congrats

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Kelly, congrats! Knew you could do it. And you're keeping wonderful time...you'll have a very respectable finish! It feels great to know you completed it, eh? What are you going to do now? The Yap, congrats to you as well! You're lots faster than me but one day I hope to get about 8k into 60 minutes. I've got everyone caught up...again, just give me a shout if I didn't!
                Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

running buddies

Runswithdogs, I understand what you mean about the dog waste. It always seems to take forever to get back in the groove after stopping to take care of the dog's business. Luckily he almost always eliminates near the end of the warm up. The other thing I do is not feed the dog for at least 2 hours before a run. Do your dogs eat at certain times of the day or is there always food in the bowl? Yesterday I got a call from my wife because the dog ate her prize apple tree, but other than that he pretty much eats just two times a day. Wink
                  I feed the dogs like I feed the cats - food out all the time. I know I'm not supposed to, but neither is overweight and it's easier. Yesterday I made a PB &J sandwich, got distracted and left it on the counter. A few minutes later I had to make another PB&J, because there wasn't any sign at all of the first one.... hmmm. Roll eyes Running with both of them on the leash is always an adventure, since together they outweigh me by a good 40 pounds. They are pretty well behaved, but certainly not perfect! We are so lucky to have these trails to run on most of the time, where the only people we meet are other people with their off-leash dogs (and usually we have the place to ourselves). Big grin This weekend is my first 60 minute run. wow. I'm a little impressed with myself, which is a new feeling...
                  "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                    YEA! Ernsberger! Anxiously awaiting that race report. I, my friends, am breaking the American Record for length of time to complete C25k, turning it into its own marathon. It took about 10 weeks to get to week 6, then a little stress fracture break, now starting back at week 3 and it's going ok. At this rate, I might finish the "three month" program in 9. But you know what? It's all good. I've recruited a few others, and we are planning another 5k in Nov. Hope to be able to run this one, as I could only run about 1/3-1/2 of the first one, thanks to the busted pelvis. Roll eyes Way to keep on keepin' on, y'all!

The young Mama Bear!

Today I ran what most runners dread: The Run From Hell. It didn't bother me that I had a pain in-the-mammory-gland, and I wanted to get another 2 mile run under my belt during the recovery week. Well, it all came crashing down when I couldn't complete 1/4 mile. For someone who could eek out 2 at a time with effort, this was disturbing. I walked it out for about 1/8 mile and tried to start again. Same thing happened. Now I started to get angry. I said "Okay, then I just walk it out and jog a slow mile." Happened again. I ended up walk/running the last 1 1/2 mile, and I couldn't have been more disappointed. My shins hurt, my lungs hurt and I just wasn't having it. I have no clue where this Run From Hell came from, but I never want to endure it again. I was surprised that I didn't HTFU like I usually do...I was not happy with my lack of discipline there. Black eye I think it might have been because I didn't eat well the day before. I couldn't help it - I usually cook at home and I visited my grandma who just had surgery and had no choice in the food I ate. I also didn't get the best night's sleep. I'm just not happy at all with how this went down. Runswithdogs, you should be impressed with yourself! Cool PolePole, as long as you're enjoying the program, I will continue to enjoy hearing your progress...even if it takes 9 years. Wink
                      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                        W2D3 Today was an easy day... far better than the day before yesterday. Last night I was on call, but I could sleep the all night, and today and yesterday where calm days at work, so I was well rested, that helps Smile Tomorrow DS-11 comes home from summercamp... I'm glad, we've missed him. I guess he will run with me on sunday!

Running in Belgium
                        Ann

Ran W5D3 of C25K this morning with Copper. There is a fairly long hill right at the middle of my run and all I could think was to stop and walk but I made it. HTFU indeed. Smile
                          MoonStar

Goddess - the 2 things that have made me have runs like that are not drinking enough water the day before and not getting enough sleep. FYI - I let out a WhooHooo when I finished the program. I fell down the stairs on Wednesday while carrying the dog. My son had left his shoes right next to/in front of the bottom step and I twisted both ankles and my right knee. You should have seen me lying on my back trying to figure out how to get up since my left knee cap still hurts from the fall on the tile floor from a month ago. I think I must have a web cam hidden on me some place. THREE accidents in 1 month and a trip on the house boat have totally killed my OHR plan. At this rate I'll end up having to repeat c25k! I still can't run. Ankles hurt after walking a few blocks and I am on my feet all day at work. Pool is closed for repair so that's not an option. Hope I am back in the game by later next week.
                            redleaf

Moonstar - how horrible for you! I hope you mend up quickly and better than before! Chup - congrats on running the hill! Goddess - sorry about the run from hell. Sometimes our bodies know best. Hopefully you'll get some good sleep soon. Ernsberger - hope the run went well! I look forward to hearing about it! Everyone else (there's just soo much to read!) congrats on your runs and well deserved rests! I managed to get my Day 1 Week 6 done! (My program is a bit different that the C25; same idea but over 13 weeks...) I tried to do it last week but couldn't. I did Days 2 and 3 (Day 1 is the hardest each week) and then re-started Week 6 today and I did the whole thing! My pace is actually up a bit and it was my longest run to date. Have a nice weekend!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! Another C25K grad! Kudos, ernsberger! Goddess, those are the runs that help you recognize the really good runs. You'll enjoy your next good run all that much better! Every runner has days when they don't have it and sometimes it's okay not to HTFU. Listen to your body. There are better runs ahead.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.