Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Anyone running with their dog? (Read 364 times)

Just curious if anyone else is running with their pooches? If so what breed and how are they doing? Big grin I run with my queensland heeler and she LOVES it and I love it since it makes me feel a lil safer out there since shes very protective and she kinda keeps my mind off the running Smile
    Yelie
      Hey Yellie, I will at some point, b/c she needs a productive outlet for energy. She is so much better now, but when I first got her a couple of years ago, here is a short version of some of the things she destroyed: *a headboard (chewed *through* it) *a windowsill (" ") *one Dankso shoe (that's my girl--she recognizes quality and goes for it) *an electrical cord of a lamp that was plugged in and turned on *2 crate pads On a regular basis to this day, she runs a few full-sprint laps around the yard as soon as I get home in the evening. It's like a black lab version of the Tasmanian Devil. Oh, and what you said about the safety factor too. There are some great places to run around here that are at least partially wooded, and I prefer to have her with me anytime I go to them. While we live in a safe area, scary things have happened in them... Finally, right now the easiest, most consistent time to run is actually at work, and she doesn't get to come. Sad When I'm off in the summer, we'll run when it's not too hot for her. Pic to follow... Bethanie
        Attempt #2 w/ pic:
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Attempt #2 w/ pic:
          Aww! Sweet girl and dog! Smile MTA: I just have cats, and they don't follow the leash very well... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

The excess energy is part of the reason I am taking my dog too and while she isnt really a chewer she runs around like a crazy woman jumping on everything in sight unless she gets some excercise in lol. Heres a pic (if it works) of my dog and daughter too Big grin Photobucket Oh and I figured out how to get a pic of her in my avatar woot lol.
            Yelie
            Wingz

Professional Noob

The excess energy is part of the reason I am taking my dog too and while she isnt really a chewer she runs around like a crazy woman jumping on everything in sight unless she gets some excercise in lol. Heres a pic (if it works) of my dog and daughter too Big grin Photobucket Oh and I figured out how to get a pic of her in my avatar woot lol.
              Awww! Your daughter's adorable!!!

TraceyBond

Newbie here to the forum Smile But yes, I run with my dog, Marley. She's a 2yo black lab. here she is curled up with my chocolate lab, Mocha. He's waaaay too geriatric to run with me but she's a great running partner. Roughly 60lbs of pure energy Big grin
                  We should get your black lab together w/ my black lab (see pic above) and see who outlasts who! Have you read Marley and Me? If so, did it have any influence on naming?
                  TraceyBond

you know, i found the book "marley and me" on accident at barnes and noble about 2 months ago. i was there getting a book for my son and saw the marley book on it's own display. had to buy it because of my own lab fetish (note the chocolate AND the black snuggled together Wink ) and laughed/cried all the way through the book. finished it in 2 bedtime sittings. marley (mine) came to me via the georgia labrador rescue this past december. her former owners were both army (young couple) and were simultaneously (well...w/i a couple weeks) deployed to iraq. they rehomed marley as a result of the simultaneous deployment. she's been a great gift to our family (3 kids plus me...i work at home and of course run a few times a week.) she's a great friend to our old chocolate lab and is loyal to a fault to our family now. love her to pieces! as for who would outlast whom...how old is yours? my marley was 2y on march 18. she's got plenty of "labrador puppy stupid" still in her Wink which translates to a LOT of energy most of the time.
                      I had the same sobbing, laughing out loud reaction to Marley & Me. They now have 2 versions of the book for kids too--one is a picture book, the other a "young readers" book, but both have certain sensitive parts (like the miscarriage) edited or removed. I had *no* idea what I was in for w/ a lab...I thought all dogs were just, well, dogs. Oh my was I wrong! "Lab puppy stupid" is certainly an adept description. However, now she is about 5 and that has calmed down some. She is wired and ready for speed when I get home though. She loves the dog park, usually starting with several full sprint laps around the field before she checks out the potential playmates. Smile
                        Ya know I keep meaning to pick up that book!! Guess now that I have some real people saying its good I'm gonna have to really get on it Smile
                        Yelie
                          I'm brand new to the forum - the first thing I did was check for a group about running with dogs! Many years ago, I used to run by myself, but ever since I've had dogs, I feel naked if I leave the house for a walk or run without them. I have two dogs, but running with both of them is a challenge. I just started back in on the Couch to 5K program and I've been taking my younger dog, Ellie, with me: (MTA: She's a shar-pei mix!) I do dog agility with my older dog, Katy. So lately we've been spending time together at agility class and playing frisbee. I also run with her - she's actually a better running companion, because she's really good on leash and doesn't pull. Katy: (MTA: Shepherd/mystery mix. Some type of herding breed!) Smile Mary
                          ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Mary! Welcome! IS there a dog group? If not, you could start one up. Big grin

Thanks for the welcome! I didn't find a dog-running group. I may consider starting once when I get into the swing of things here. Shy Mary
                              ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer

running buddies

Hi meewolfie - I know exactly what you mean about feeling naked without the dogs. Sometimes when I see people out running alone, I feel sorry for them. I've been a consistent walker since I've had dogs. I currently have two - Hendrix (about 100 pounds, great dane, shepard, lab, whatever mix), and Leeta (about 70 pounds, hairy, maybe border collie/newfoundland? who knows mix). I was in-between dogs briefly after my old dog died, and I couldn't go for a walk alone. I had to borrow a friend's dog, just to take a walk! My dogs and I are extremely lucky to have some trails right by our house where it is okay for them to run off-leash. I have run with one on the leash at a time, but haven't tried both at once. I love to watch them sprint off into the woods after a squirrel or other critter, then make a big circle back. They make running look like the most fun a being could have! I hope to feel as much joy as they do someday. I shuffle along on my C25K, and they bound their 10 or 15 miles. I'll see if I can post some photos - I'm not that good with that sort of thing, and my dogs are black and not easy to photograph so I don't have many photos.
                                "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)