Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 4/25/2011 (Read 325 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Just out of curiosity, how is everyone dealing with the impending heat and humidity that keeps cracking into the weather?  Perhaps we can share some heat-busting tips as the hot months approach.  Running early and drinking lots of water helps me.

Aaron took his second gold star in a row, and I topped 30 for the second week in a row as I make my way back into the 40 mpw range (which only means that Mike ran more miles than me last week and he's recovering from Boston!).  I'm not much into running streaks, but 8 days in a row is the most I've ever done.  

Anyway, here is the leaderboard:

amlinz 55.5 mi 6:30:48
    Happyfeet 41.6 mi 6:29:32
    CarolinaBlue 39.6 mi 5:16:25
    ChakaKahn 39.2 mi 4:23:41
    old-runner 34.3 mi 5:08:28
    theyapper66  31.4 mi 4:59:30
    nanxin 20.1 mi 3:08:01
    runslikeafraggle 16.6 mi 2:51:49
    CliveF 15.1 mi 2:32:36
    cpaterun 12.2 mi 1:41:29
    alholley 10 mi 1:31:33
    rossruns 9.1 mi 1:27:10

And the Goes To...

old-runner: Took FIRST PLACE in his AG in the Bunny Run 5K last week.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Yay Me! Thanks for that blue star... Actually I feel a little guilty for getting the blue star for winning the old man age group, but I'll take it just the same!

*tap tap*

"Is this thing on?"

An interesting ~40min of cycling today, test-riding a couple bikes.  There's a Cannondale in my future.

I detest swimming and I really suck at it ... yet I hear the triathlon siren's call. Blush  Save me!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Anyone have plans to race this weekend? I'm close to being able to race again as I can run hard w/heavily cushioned shoes on roads w/out pain and able to run workouts in performance trainers.  Richard, I was thinking of running the Bunny Run last weekend but opted out as I was concerned about re-injuring my foot trying to get around people on those "oval sidewalk sections" of the course (last year I ran the Streetlight 5k which is the same course, and had to run off the sidewalk and on the grass in those oval sidewalk parts of the course to get around people). My other fear w/that course is taking out/colliding with a slower runner on the blind corners onto the bridge and coming off that bridge back on the greenway on the return (especially if you run the tangent). How was everyone's Easter (I gained 5 lbs despite running Fri thru Mon) and caught a terrible cold that I hope goes away soon!

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

It has been quiet in here this week.

I've been running (4x this week so far) but not updating here.  My body just doesn't feel like it's in a good groove right now.  Not sure if it's the heat or what, but I've not been getting nearly the mileage since my HM in March that I was before.

There's a local 5k tomorrow in Norwood and I've thought about running it, but I feel like running my easy 9:15-9:30 pace is taking it all out of me and the thought of trying to race in the 7's seems beyond reach.  Maybe some of you more experienced racers can weigh in on that for me and give me some insight.

Paul

old-runner

Rob... You were probably smart not to run the Bunny Run because of the things you mentioned. With your ankle it could have been a problem.

If you're ready to race, there are a ton of races this weekend. I'm signed up for the Cherry Blossom 5k in Cherryville. I didn't know anything about it when I first signed up (I registered because it was just 15 bucks last week). Since then somebody sent me the results (they weren't online) and there were only 48 runners, with the winning time being 21:03. 

That sounds like it could be fun and I hear it's a pretty flat course. Having said that, the fella that won last year is now running much faster and at the age of 54 (or maybe 55) ran his last 5k at 19 minutes flat. There are 10-year age groups too, so I probably won't even win my age group but I'm slowly getting over feeling like I always have to win my age group!

I've also invited a couple people who are coming who are faster than me so I'm just hoping to be in the top 10. Still, Rob, if you're ready to get back to racing this would be a good one I think. Shashi said he might be running it also. If any of you other folks want to get into a small race, come on over. Here's a link...

http://www.gastonymca.org/2011/03/cherry-blossom-5k-runwalk/

Race day registration is just $20, which is not bad. There are some other good races this weekend as well including the CPCC Skyline Run.

Don't worry Paul, my slower tempo run last night was a lot harder than the one same course last Friday when it was much cooler.  Even my legs are sore this morning.  The temp and wind can make a huge difference.  Once the Temps are above 70, I go by effort and not worry about the pace. Once fall comes around all this summer slogging pays off.

nanxin

I just got my bib 10 minutes ago for the CPCC 5K. I almost recovered from the HM 2 weeks ago, but I doubt I am in a "race" mode right now since I didn't do any hard workout for last 2 weeks, but with a starting line that is less than 2 miles away from my house, I just cannot skip it. Smile

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

Richard,

thanx for the personal (j/k) invite. Good luck tomorrow! I have not been able to sleep w/the cold that I have plus I ran a hard workout last nite so this weekend is unfortunately out for a race (the weather is going to be perfect for you Sat morning).  I'm tentatively looking at the Twilight 5k in two weeks (works better w/my training calendar plus I'm an evening person and not a morning person) and a 5k on Long Island on Memorial Day.

Paul...heat?...do you have Eskimo blood running through you? The temperatures have been in the 70's this week? Plus you run in the morning and its probably been in the 50's and 60's (this morning it was in the mid 40's)!?

Han...good luck tomorrow!

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul...heat?...do you have Eskimo blood running through you? The temperatures have been in the 70's this week? Plus you run in the morning and its probably been in the 50's and 60's (this morning it was in the mid 40's)!?

Maybe I do.  I haven't been running in the mornings lately, and temps have been upper 70s to mid 80s when I've gone out.  I def prefer winter weather.

I did take advantage of the cooler temps this morning and ran 13.1 miles - it was 43° when I started and 63° when I got done.  That's a temp swing!

Paul

This morning was perfect running weather for me.  Sunny 50-55 degrees at the start, and maybe 62-65 by the time I finished.  My longest training run to date, yet did not feel difficult compared to last week's 17 miler.

old-runner

Shashi... We missed you at the Cherry Blossom 5k race! There were just 72 runners and our group (Gaston County Runners) finished in 4 of the 5 spots (I was 3rd overall at 21:07). All of the GCR runners (I think there were 8 of us) won age group awards.

nanxin

Richard, Congraduation on your 3rd overall performance. I struggled in my yesterday race, but I was luck to have 17 seconds PR (20:26), a tiny step toward 19:XX. Smile

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

Shashi... We missed you at the Cherry Blossom 5k race! There were just 72 runners and our group (Gaston County Runners) finished in 4 of the 5 spots (I was 3rd overall at 21:07). All of the GCR runners (I think there were 8 of us) won age group awards.

Those are awesome results.  If we keep up the Tuesday  workouts going, we might do even better.  I am actually very interested in Becky vs Michelle batlle, did that happen, and what are the results.

I did not know until 7:00 AM if we'd be in town.  Then my legs did not feel like running hard, and I chose to do my long run instead.  Sure was a nice morning for some racing

old-runner

nanxin... That's an awesome time... looks like you're heading to sub-20 very quickly! You might need to change the time on your signature... it says 22:26 for yesterday's race and I think you meant it to be 20:26.

Happyfeet... The Michele versus Beckie thing didn't exactly happen. They both ran and Michele won 1st overall female. Beckie was 3 minutes or so behind but she was running with her 13-year-old daughter, who wanted her to stick with her during the race, so she didn't run nearly as fast as she could have although she still won her age group. I think Beckie's going to be a force to be reckoned with!