Charlotte, NC area runners

Thunder Road Marathon thread (Read 177 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks like a few of us may be doing this one, so I thought I'd go ahead and start a thread, even though it's still 6 months off.

I'll be interested to see what training plans we all follow, what goals we may have, and what races we may run as "test" runs for our projected marathon paces.

For starters, who's running Thunder?  I am and a friend is running with me.  It'll be my second and his first.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Paul, I'll be running this either as a first or a second.  Really have no plan right now, other than run as much as I can. This weekend was so hot, I had to bag my Planned 10 miler saturday after 7 miles.  Hope to keep up 35 -40 MPW until August, then do a 12 week plan, peaking at 50-55 MPW, and hope to survive the marathon.
      theyapper

On the road again...

Sounds like you and I are in a similar place, Sashi.  I've gotten my weekly mileage up to the 35-40 range in the last couple of months and my goal is to be 40-45 by summer's end.  That would set me up perfectly for a marathon training that peaks in the 55-60 range.  Goal for Thunder is to PR, which shouldn't be too hard at the mileage I'm running right now.

Paul

old-runner

Since I'm running the NYC Marathon about a month before Thunder Road, I'll probably just run the 5k this year.

Shashi... are you running any on Sunday mornings? I'm thinking about doing my long runs early Sunday morning (6 or 7 a.m.) during the hot months. I know you have a hard time scheduling stuff like that but if you can fit it in maybe we can run some of them together. Last Sunday I started from home and ran up Redbud and down to the greenway then over to Martha Rivers. Let me know if something like that would work for you. 

Yes Richard,  After my last weeks miserable experience starting late, I'm going to try and get my long run early in the morning. Could we plan for 7:00 this Saturday and I need to be back by 9:00- 9:30, bring  a handheld bottle if you are comfortable running with one.

MTA Forgot about this weekend's Summer Breeze race, let's do this the next week.

old-runner

Shashi... That would be great and 7 to 9 works perfectly for me, but I'm talking about Sunday mornings for the long run because I almost always run a race on Saturday mornings.

Would Sunday work for you??

Maybe, Got to check with the boss, its her turn to sleep in.
                theyapper

On the road again...

You guys are brutes!  I'm having to go out at 5 and 5:30 for my long runs so I can beat the sun.  Must be nice to be fast....  

Paul

old-runner

You guys are brutes!  I'm having to go out at 5 and 5:30 for my long runs so I can beat the sun.  Must be nice to be fast....  

Haha... Who said we're beating the sun (or fast)? I'm pretty sure it's just about as steamy in Gastonia by 8 or 9 as it is in Albemarle!

Shashi... Let me know if Sunday works for you after you talk to the boss!

Richard, please lay off running completely for a couple of weeks, or at least until those PT's can take care of it.  If it's an injury, it's not going to get better in a couple of days.

I am always scared of joint issues.  Can run through Muscle or Tendon pains, but Knees, ankles etc are serious.

theyapper

On the road again...

Just a reminder that today (7/31) is a rate cutoff day for TR.  Prices go up tomorrow.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Congrats to all here who ran TR!  Hope everyone recovers quickly from it.

Paul