Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 3/14/2011 (Read 212 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week was a cutback week for me, still thrilled to have touched the 30 mile mark (needed a 10 miler to get me there).  I'm noticing that we're missing a couple of our regulars on the mileage chart and will be glad to have everyone back from various injuries and setbacks.  Nice week, Mike.  Looks like you got 2 awards...

ChakaKahn 60.5 mi 7:07:54
    nanxin 43.4 mi 6:14:52
    theyapper66  30.1 mi 4:38:29
    old-runner 28.4 mi 4:05:03
    Happyfeet 27.2 mi 4:14:37
    CarolinaBlue 19.3 mi 2:33:08
    CliveFenster 7 mi 1:03:20
    alholley 4.4 mi 39:54
    runslikeafraggle 3 mi 30:32

And the Goes To...

ChakaKahn: 6th OA and 3rd consecutive PR for Half Marathons.  The latest home run was hit at the Corporate Cup with a 1:17:36 finish for an average race pace of 5:56/mile.  That. Is. Sick. 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

7 easy miles today.  Heading into the home stretch before my HM on 3/26...

Paul

3.2mi today.  Nonstop!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Did my last tempo run before next week-end's HM in DC.  5 miles with w/u and c/d for 7.5 total.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Hope the nagging injuries are getting better.  It'll be nice to have everyone back at it again!

Did a nice 90 minute easy run this morning.

Paul

I would characterize myself as "partially" back. I'm still on a restricted program (but progressively increasing things): run two days/rest one, try to run on softer surfaces, avoiding hills and my regular runs are up to ~50 minutes or 6.5 miles (hope to increase that to 7 next wk). My fitness is getting back but nowhere near where I was in early Dec. Have not attempted any "long" run (may try a whopping 8 miles this weekend)! Have not attempted anything faster than 5k pace in a workout other than strides. Left Achilles progressing very slowly. When I run a workout (where I'm going faster than an "easy" pace), I've felt some pain in my right foot (site of stress fracture) when wearing performance trainers (for this reason I can't think about racing because I'm afraid in lighter racing shoes I'll re-fracture). I had to mothball my Newtons (the lugs "hammer" into the stress fracture site) & buy new shoes!

How are those w/injuries doing? Is Lynwood injured or MIA? Is Richard still sick (read this on his blog about his recent race although he may have provided TMI)?

Rob

I'm still fighting my stupid leg thing.  Mt thinks it's the Achilles, PT thinks it's the soleus.  I'm seeing a doctor on Monday -- hopefully, there aren't any more structures in my leg for him to choose from.

Meanwhile, I'm still plugging away on the 3mi-every-other-day scheme.  I really ought to do some pool running, but I just haven't worked up the motivation to go there, endure that boredom, and be that spectacle for all the swimmers/divers.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Are we there yet?

Iran the georgia marathon. 301. Hilly course nice long tempo.
                  old-runner

I'm pretty much recovered from my cold. Ran the Germantown Half Marathon in Memphis on Sunday (03/20/11) and finished 2nd in my age group at 1:36:38. I was out of gas at about 8 miles and walked about twice in each of the final few miles so I was surprised to finish in under 1:40.

Richard, that is a very quick effort given that how you felt the week prior (if you age grade that, it comes to 1:18.40!). How were the conditions (warm? windy? hilly?)?

Cliff/Clive, what is the prognosis with your leg? Will you be joining us on the slow ramp back or?

Rob

Richard, nice going!  A 1:36 with walk breaks is not too shabby.

Cliff/Clive, what is the prognosis with your leg? Will you be joining us on the slow ramp back or?

I saw the real doctor today (not MT or PT).  After a month, there's still significant inflammation and some swelling.  He did lots of assessing, and said it's much more Achilles tendon than soleus.  "Frayed and gnarly", I think the actual diagnosis was.  Lots of ART, some Graston (and we could easily feel where the gnarly stuff was -- I could almost *hear* it when he hit that spot -- and some ultrasound.  We're thinking 2-3 more treatments, then hopefully a regime of exercises on my own will eventually lead to running health.

I've written off the spring season (which he agreed with).  My goal now is to be healthy enough to do 30-35 easy miles in a week by mid- to late-May, so I can start my training cycle for a fall marathon.  Doc didn't laugh at me, but his manner kinda said it was on the edge of what he thought was doable.

He strongly suggested that I not run for another week, at least.  I'm finally going to drag my lazy ass to the pool to "jog" there, and I'm casually shopping for a bike.  Anyone know where I can find a 58-60cm road bike for cheap?

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Richard, that is a very quick effort given that how you felt the week prior (if you age grade that, it comes to 1:18.40!). How were the conditions (warm? windy? hilly?)?

I like the age grading... I'll have to start doing that every race to pump up the old ego!

Sorry to hear about you guys with all of your infirmities. I think it's helped me to lower my mileage in recent months. I had been wanting to run about 40-45 a week but have settled in around 28-32 miles a week and it actually seems to have helped me as far as less injury and soreness and has maybe even resulted in a little faster running in the races.

Clive hope you get well soon

Running is stupid and running a marathon is more so.  I don't know why I signed up for a marathon in July especially Grandfather mtn, really can't think of any good reason.  This or the Monkey in November could be my last marathons, and I am not going to race Monkey.

My hamstring has been very unhappy with me after this weekend's long run, and I know exactly why. A HM race on Saturday, intervals on Monday, and a tempo on Thursday without much speed work ever.  May need to take a couple of weeks very easy.  

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul