TWHgal 39.6 mi
    CliveF  11.4 mi
    fraggle 11.1 mi
    alholley 7.3 mi
    theyapper66  5.5 mi

In DEC2013, we raced:

Date Player Event Dist. Location Result Remarks
    22DEC old-runner Xmas Elf 5km Mt. Mourne NC 20:46  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Richard, I saw your face book posts braving the cold.  You weren't dressed up like an Eskimo or anything close.  Impressive.  Have you embraced cold weather running?

old-runner

Richard, I saw your face book posts braving the cold.  You weren't dressed up like an Eskimo or anything close.  Impressive.  Have you embraced cold weather running?

I wouldn't exactly say I've embraced cold weather... I'm getting ready to go get on the treadmill in about 5 minutes. I'm pretty bundled up in the photo actually. I'm wearing thick socks with toe warmers in my shoes, a pair of tights under the pants, a UA Heat Gear shirt, a UA Cold Gear shirt, then the race shirt which I just liked the looks of so I wore it, and that thing on my head and a cold weather Buff around my neck that I could pull up over my mouth and nose. I also had hand warmers in my gloves.  That's ice on my gloves and on the Buff. It was 17 degrees!

Richard Hefner - Frosty 50k

CRC Trail race at the White Water Center tomorrow.  Anybody racing this weekend?

Lynwood, I thought I saw you at the Triple C run yesterday just after the turnaround (I was late and slow) so you were about a quarter mile on your return I think.  Did not have time to hang around after the run, but plan to do that next week as well.  The noise of the train tracks as the train approached was cool, and nice enough route except for all the street crossings, one day I could get run over by the train or a car if I don't pay attention.  Yesterday was my first run and I like the fact that it was right on time, I can plan for it now, need to be back downtown by 7:30 sharp to pickup kid.

MTA spelling

Yeah that was me.  Sorry I missed you.  I was probably watching for cars and trains myself.  I started last week and like the out and back course also.  As I've increased mileage, it's nice to have a flat course occassionally.

Anybody racing this weekend?  I hear crickets in here.

Shashi, good to see you Thursday. Looked like you were running well. I'm recovering from the flu but seem to be better.  Planning on running my first full at Myrtle Beach next weekend.  And no, I'm not doing the sensible thing and run it easy.  Any predictions?

Lynwood, I looked for you after the Run but maybe you were back out for a cool down.  I had to leave as I needed to pick up my kid.  You were running fairly well Yourself. I think you have at least a 3:40 in you.

I was training for Tobacco road full, but my training was not going well, so switched to.the half.  I'll try and make it to these Thursday runs for my tempo workouts more often.

I took awhile changing before heading back inside.  I'll be back in two weeks hopefully.  Thanks for the time estimate, as that's kind of what I thought too. Started with the Hanson's plan since I wasn't too fond of long runs. I've grown to appreciate them now. The beginner plan, after week five of 24 miles, goes to 39 miles and still doing the speed work and tempo runs.  Too much for my lower mileage running.  I could handle it much better now but I'll run what I brung.

old-runner

Hey, glad to see some life in here... I thought all of you retired from running or something. I'm still racing every week... CRC Winter Classic two weeks ago, The Village 5k in Waxhaw last week, and Winter Flight 8k today.

In today's Winter Flight about 50 people (including me) took a wrong turn and ran eight-tenths of a mile out of the way. It was the RRCA state championship 8k road race and I knew my two biggest competitors for the Senior Grand Masters had also run off course. When we finally figured out we were off the course I took off, knowing at least I was still ahead of them. Stayed ahead of them the whole way but finished about 10 seconds in back of another Senior Grand Masters runner who ran the right course and won the award.

Next week is the Cupid's Cup 5k -- one of the fastest 5k's around... anybody running it besides me?

In today's Winter Flight about 50 people (including me) took a wrong turn and ran eight-tenths of a mile out of the way. It was the RRCA state championship 8k road race and I knew my two biggest competitors for the Senior Grand Masters had also run off course. When we finally figured out we were off the course I took off, knowing at least I was still ahead of them. 

Richard, did they change the course this year? That course is a very straight-forward and if they did not change the course the only thing I can think to take people off course is either (a) an un-informed marshall or police officer started directing runners in the wrong direction or (b) someone went the wrong way and everyone behind followed. Yesterday you ran an almost an extra mile in a 8k, and last week you ran that Village 5K and I've heard the 5k is almost 2/10ths of a long (and the 10k is short!).

Rob

old-runner

Richard, did they change the course this year? That course is a very straight-forward and if they did not change the course the only thing I can think to take people off course is either (a) an un-informed marshall or police officer started directing runners in the wrong direction or (b) someone went the wrong way and everyone behind followed. Yesterday you ran an almost an extra mile in a 8k, and last week you ran that Village 5K and I've heard the 5k is almost 2/10ths of a long (and the 10k is short!).

That's right Rob... I ended up running long in both races... guess I'm getting my money's worth.

I think you're right that the course is straightforward at the Winter Flight. The problem was there was a confusing sign that pointed to the right. After the race Peter Asciutto told me that was supposed to be interpreted for us to stay in the right lane and for the 5k runners to turn around at that point (the 5k arrow pointed to the left). Anyway, Butch Holt, who was my main competition, took a right turn there. I didn't think we should go right and kind of stopped in my tracks and shouted at them, but they kept going. Then I waited for Bob Nelson, my other competitor, who was maybe 20 yards in back of me, and he said we should be going right. I still didn't think so but I didn't want to separate from them and be wrong so I stuck with it and it started a chain reaction of other people following along. We ran 4/10 of a mile without any signs or other people before I had enough and said I'm heading back in the other direction. We ran a total of eight-tenths of a mile longer than we should have.

This morning the race director posted a note saying that they thought about 30 people had gone the wrong way and that we would all get free entry into next year's race if we wanted it, so that's good.

Sorry to hear of the confusion, Richard.  But, it's just another story to tell.  Glad you placed despite the extra running!

Richard,

Ah...a 5k...so that is new as at least the last time I ran Winter Flight there was no 5k run (so I could see how that could have introduced an element of confusion). You have had a fortnight of long races (too bad you didn't run the 10K in that race at Waxhaw as I heard that was something like 2/10ths short so you could have "evened out" things!). And to add what Lynwood said about being thankful, glad that you didn't have wild dogs chase you down on Saturday.

Rob

Oh BTW does anyone have any idea about a nerve impingement.   There is no pain (especially when running), but a very uncomfortable, burning/numbness in my left thigh (outer part) while sitting/sleeping.  I can bring on the numbness by doing any hip flexor stretches or lunges,, so not sure if I should be doing that.  Should I be looking at strengthening something else (core) or any nerve glide exercises?  I can go to a doctor but not sure what kind of doctor.  My wife suggested that they have tests to determine which nerve is causing this, but she has no idea how to fix it, apart from not running for an extended time, which I am afraid is what any doc will say as well.  Took a break this past Summer, and seemed to help for a while, but it's back now.