Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 5/23/11 (Read 334 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Lots of miles in the group last week.  Saw cpaterun last night and he had his highest week since returning from a knee injury, and Aaron continues to absolutely kill it.  Really glad to be a part - even virtually - of such a strong group of runners.

Totals:

amlinz 85.7 mi 9:21:59
    CarolinaBlue 51.7 mi 6:47:52
    Happyfeet 47.8 mi 8:06:23
    nanxin 39.4 mi 5:37:36
    SForrester 31.1 mi 4:06:45
    cpaterun 30 mi 4:19:23
    old-runner 27.1 mi 4:18:09
    ChakaKahn 25 mi 0:00
    theyapper66  22.3 mi 3:25:01
    atomno2 17 mi 2:41:51
    CliveF 14.9 mi 2:14:07
    rossruns 11.2 mi 1:43:46
    alholley 4.3 mi 39:19
    sypniewskij 3.2 mi 0:00
    runslikeafraggle 3.1 mi 25:19

I had a hot 45 minute run yesterday, to get my week started.  Anyone have any races coming up?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

I finally got in a race this year! I did the Lincolnton 5k. I started off easy and let everyone fly past me, but that just gave me more people to chase down. My IT bands held up nicely and I started to pick people off in the first .25 mi. By mile 2 I had been trying to catch a blonde lady for over a mile and thought there was no way I would get her. Then we made a left turn up a gravel road that never seemed to end and she pooped out in less than .25 mi of the hill. Then I picked off 3 more female runners on the hill. My left hip started to hurt .5mi from the finish. I still managed to kick it up a notch to puke mode for the last .25 mi.

I finished in 25:19, not bad for not being in shape for racing and starting off so slow. I was 5th female, 2nd in my AG, and 24th overall.

I hope to run again tomorrow. The angry hip is subsiding and should be good to go by then. Though, I don't think the Belmont 5k this coming weekend will be a good idea since it is hillier than last weekend and that is what I think got to my hip. So I need to get that figured out before I attack any more 5ks.

Ashley Nice race.  

I am usually on the other side being passed by a  bunch over the last mile.  Working on fixing that.  

Ran the Belmont course last night, and I don't think that is a very hilly race if you have run others around here, the uphills are mercifully short.  The big downhill on Keener sets you up nicely to push on the uphill a quarter mile from the finish.  I think this could be  PR course if the weather cooperates, unfortunately I may not be able to run this, it's going to be a game time decision.

under a rock

I'll have to see how the hip feels for the rest of the week. If it's not sore on Friday I might think about doing Belmont since you said the hills are short. I've run it before but that was in 2009 and I can't remember how many hills there were.

rossruns

In 2 weeks (June 4th) I'm going to try my first race (King Tiger 5K at University City) since I had my Achilles surgery in Feb 2010.  My original plan was to hold off until July but I've been feeling good in my recovery and am ready to get out there!

This week's heat has made things tough, though.  I tried running 5 at lunch yesterday and the heat/humidity about near killed me - I had to take a couple "recovery" walk/jogs in the shade on my route.  Even making sure I was fully hydrated and carrying along (and drinking) 20 oz. on the run itself didn't help.  Think it's finally time to start doing the early morning runs or else I'm not going to last through the summer!

Nice Ashley.  Congrats!  I hope you get those IT bands under control soon. 

I plan on running the 5K this Saturday at McAlpine Park.  Charlotte Run for Peace at Home.  It'll be nice to run something that doesn't involve asphalt or concrete for a change.  I have my oldest daughter running in the women's race also.  Should be fun, and only one hill.

atomno2

Doing my first hm on June 4th in hickory. My goal is to come in under 2 hrs.

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

old-runner

Hi atomno2... What a great race that is! The Charity Chase Half Marathon is one of my favorite races of the year. It's not an easy one though -- it's one of the toughest half marathons you'll find anywhere -- but it's still one of the best. 

Be sure to wear a shirt that says "atomno2" so I'll know who you are!

under a rock

In 2 weeks (June 4th) I'm going to try my first race (King Tiger 5K at University City) since I had my Achilles surgery in Feb 2010.  My original plan was to hold off until July but I've been feeling good in my recovery and am ready to get out there!

This week's heat has made things tough, though.  I tried running 5 at lunch yesterday and the heat/humidity about near killed me - I had to take a couple "recovery" walk/jogs in the shade on my route.  Even making sure I was fully hydrated and carrying along (and drinking) 20 oz. on the run itself didn't help.  Think it's finally time to start doing the early morning runs or else I'm not going to last through the summer!

I hate running after noon in the warmer months. Last night at 7pm I tought I was going to keel over can't imagine a noon how much of a sissy I would be. I'd much rather get up really early to run than run mid-day.

Good luck with the race! That's pretty exciting to be going to your first race in a long time.

atomno2

Anything I should remember for the race tomorrow?  I'm looking very forward to it. I am worried that I have taken it too easy the last couple of weeks.  

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

It's good  that you took the last 2 weeks easy, better to be a bit under trained than even slightly over trained.  and I predict something better than a 2 hr finish for you.  When I ran  my first HM in 2:05, a 11 mile long run took me over 2 hours.

Just a quick thought, what are you using to measure HR, and is it accurate?  Seems awfully high for a lot of your runs.  In the couple of workouts I peeked into, I saw 194 for a while.  Obviously you can handle running at that HR, but may make sense to slow down to 160-170 range  (or even lower) for the majority of your runs.

atomno2

I have the Garmin forerunner 305.  I also have an ironman that I have crossed checked, because I thought it was high too.  I have ran myself into spots and peeked at 206, so that is what I call my max HR.  I try to never go 195 if I can help it.  I feel most comfortable in the 165-170 range.  I intend to slow everything down and start building mileage after this race.  I'm going to see how it goes, but I have my sights on the MB marathon next year.  Don't let my log fool you.  On the days were there is no running, you can bet that there is some type of work out.  

Not that I am fast but--

theyapper

On the road again...

Anything I should remember for the race tomorrow?  I'm looking very forward to it. I am worried that I have taken it too easy the last couple of weeks.  

Be aware of the heat.  Walking through the water stops may be a good strategy just to ensure you get plenty of water in your mouth and not just on your shirt. Wink

Have fun!  Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Went out for a little more than 11 miles early this morning in 57° temps and thought about atom - hope the weather's this cool in Hickory, cause it was NIIICCEEE.

Paul

The weather was not too bad, the course however....  Worst race in 2 years for me.  Run/walked to a 1:57:36