Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 5/16/11 (Read 240 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

When I went to get the totals from last week I saw that our group is up to 30 members.  Nice!  Welcome to our newest runners, SForrester and atomno2.  Great to have you onboard. 

Aaron put up another impressive week, and overall we've got some pretty good mojo going on right now.  Well, I'm not sure about me.  I have been stuck in some kind of running funk for more than a month, and running mileage in the mid 20's seems to be a chore right now.

Here's to hot running.  Be sure to hydrate!

amlinz 63.5 mi 4:59:00
    CarolinaBlue 49.6 mi 6:31:13
    SForrester* 49.2 mi 7:01:36
    old-runner 34.7 mi 5:12:04
    Happyfeet 30.2 mi 4:45:13
    nanxin 27.2 mi 3:50:40
    cpaterun 25.2 mi 3:35:56
    theyapper66  24.1 mi 3:39:20
    ChakaKahn 23.3 mi 0:00
    runslikeafraggle 18.3 mi 3:28:40
    CliveF 15.6 mi 2:33:45
    rossruns 13 mi 1:54:30
    atomno2* 11 mi 1:39:34
    alholley 7.5 mi 1:11:43
    sypniewskij 2.9 mi 22:25

And the Goes To...

nanxin: Had a nice 3rd place AG in the Ballantyne 10K, chip time was 44:41, and even more importantly was able to scratch off another goal by going sub 45 in a 10k.  Great work!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

nanxin

Thanks for the blue star, I felt guilty to have it, based on the McMillan Formula I should run 42:27 instead of 44:41, I tried in the first mile and then I realized quickly that I cannot maintain the 6:49 pace.

From my recent race results, It seems my VDOT is higher on 5K, which is 48.57, compared to my VDOT on 10K and Half Marathon are 45.64 and 44.69. It seems I should improve my running economy.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

theyapper

On the road again...

I've had 2 nice 45 minute runs this week.  The cooler weather has been a nice surprise!

Paul

Had a couple of days off, and I went and ran on the trails at Crowders Mountain. The Ridge line trail is nice, a good hill workout.  Will get out there one weekend and run from Kings mountain National park to Crowders pinnacle and back, a nice 18 mile round trip, or to shorten it a bit, start from boulders access area to Crowders and back, 12 total..

under a rock

Had a couple of days off, and I went and ran on the trails at Crowders Mountain. The Ridge line trail is nice, a good hill workout.  Will get out there one weekend and run from Kings mountain National park to Crowders pinnacle and back, a nice 18 mile round trip, or to shorten it a bit, start from boulders access area to Crowders and back, 12 total..

I would reccommend starting at boulders access so you can cut it short if needed or refill your hydration and fuel. That is where we started all of our long runs last year when we were training for the trail marathon. It's one of my favorite places to go for trail running since it isn't as well known right now so it's not as crowded as the trails closer to the main park office. The hills are great and the scenery is nice as well.

The boulders about a half mile from the trail head were a nice surprise.  Was not sure of snakes, bugs etc on a rainy day, plus there was no one else around on a weekday in case I was bit or twisted an ankle, otherwise was going to do some bouldering.  We in Gastonia are lucky to have such nice trails so close by, not need to pay to park at whitewater center and dodge bikes all day.

under a rock

Yes! We are so lucky to have a great trail system. The only reason I buy a USNWC pass is to run with friends, otherwise I'd never go there. It's just so boring after being spoiled with the Crowders/Kings Mtn trail system.

Oh, speakig of lucky. Have you been to Poston park for their trails yet? They put USNWC to shame. They have great hills and they are non stop, plus it's less crowded and more pleasing to the eye.

theyapper

On the road again...

Someday I'm going to have to do some trail running.

Had a nice 1:10:00 run.  I've felt like I've had no mojo lately and am trying to run by time this week and not worry as much about pace, distance, HR, etc.  So far, it's been an awesome week.

Paul

old-runner

We had our biggest turnout ever for the Wednesday night Gaston County Runners group run at Martha Rivers Park... 17 runners! We missed you Ashley, and Shashi, I hope you can try to come out sometime too.

under a rock

We had our biggest turnout ever for the Wednesday night Gaston County Runners group run at Martha Rivers Park... 17 runners! We missed you Ashley, and Shashi, I hope you can try to come out sometime too.

I wanted to come but my IT bands on both legs are speaking to me this week. I was playing around with running 5 days a week but it isn't working. So this week will get my ITbands back on board and I'll go back to running fewer days and I'll be joining the Y again soon so I can add swimming back into my routine for cross training.