Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 28JAN-03FEB 2013 (Read 10 times)

Running:

SForrester 67.3 mi
    CarolinaBlue 55.1 mi
    amlinz 48.9 mi
    CliveF
    43.7 mi
    old-runner 38.1 mi
    CS_2013Tobacco 37.4 mi
    Pete.Hu 34.3 mi
    Lpadg 32.5 mi
    TWHgal 29.8 mi
    Tar Heel Mom 25.4 mi
    Happyfeet 24.0 mi
    fraggle 23.1 mi
    Joe in Raleigh 19.5 mi
    nanxin 16.3 mi
    jdbrown 11.0 mi
    aponi 3.2 mi

Racing and whatnot:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

Last week:

TWHgal 26JAN2013 Mountain in the Middle 17km Columbia SC na 2:00:09
    CliveF 26JAN2013 FOTI 19.7mi Albemarle NC run strong ran strong
    old-runner 26JAN2013 Winter Flight 8k Salisbury NC na DNS

This week:            
    old-runner 02FEB2013 49er Gold Rush 5km Charlotte NC na  
    Joe in Raleigh 02FEB2013 Uwharrie Mountain 40 40mi Uwharrie NF 9:37:00  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, are you an idiot? Did you run the FOTI this weekend?? Was Morrow Mt open (heard that it may have been closed because of the weather)?

Rob

Because of icy roads, Peter delayed the SAT run to 0700 (instead of the usual 0530) and scheduled a SUN run at 0600.  It was icy enough that the State Park was closed SAT but open SUN; the SAT crowd had to improvise a route to get it done.  I ran SUN.

It was 24* or so and pitch-black at the start, but it "warmed" to low 30s by the finish.  Mild iciness on the road up Morrow Mountain, but nothing dangerous.  A fun time!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, do you have "proof of life" (you w/the Idiot shirt on or holding it up in the group photo they usually take)? Was it well organized (and w/water and/or goodies along the way)? Any of that bout of dizziness you've been experiencing along the way (or post run)?

Rob

-- Dick LeBeau

The size of the gloves stands out -- did people bring their ski gloves to run?

How is everyone handling this heat wave? Shirtless run for me where I was covered in sweat at the end. Tough for almost everyone when the temperatures are 25-30 degrees hotter vs. what your used to running.

Rob

I'm glad it was the gloves hat you noticed.

Warm today.  Yuck.

-- Dick LeBeau

Tar Heel Mom

kween

The size of the gloves stands out -- did people bring their ski gloves to run?

How is everyone handling this heat wave? Shirtless run for me where I was covered in sweat at the end. Tough for almost everyone when the temperatures are 25-30 degrees hotter vs. what your used to running.

I wore short this morning! We will pay for it this afternoon when we get hit by tornadoes.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

old-runner

Well, heck, I hit 600 days yesterday on my running streak but forgot to do a humble brag on Facebook. I guess the statute of limitations has run out now.

Cry

Congrats Richard.  Go ahead and post it.  The FB crowd won't know the difference.

Lynwood, you missed the run tonite? Last 70+ degree run for maybe another 30 days. And we were able to get the run in before the storm broke although several times it would start to downpour and then stop 15-20 seconds later. The wind was fun, when it was behind us, not so as a 35-40 gusting headwind (especially on the climb up Scott).

Rob

Rob, I chose to run at home. Busy weeks ahead tending to kids etc. Sounds like a good run though.

Anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about the Cupid's Cup 5k?  It's not until the 9th, but I'm hunting for a fast-ish 5k sometime in the first half of FEB.

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about the Cupid's Cup 5k?  It's not until the 9th, but I'm hunting for a fast-ish 5k sometime in the first half of FEB.

It's a good'un... one of the fastest 5k's in Charlotte. Really great downhill finish. The first mile has quite a bit of uphill, then I think it kind of levels off in the 2nd mile and a really fast 3rd mile. It's not a certified course, I guess because of too much downhill, but great race nevertheless. Good food afterwards. Good photography. I won my age group last year but I don't remember what the awards were, although they were given out by Dion Lim (channel 36), who's way hotter in real life than on TV!

Clive, that course cuts in between the Wed nite run that you came down on that hot August night. It goes up East fr the bottom of the hill (about 1/2 mile down fr where we start) to Dilworth, right on Dilworth down to Latta and then up to Euclid (on the Wed nite run, we ran down Park during the end of mile 4 to beginning of mile 5 next to Latta Park whereas the Cupids Cup comes up the other side of the Park).

Richard is correct about the course not being certified. This race has been the subject of several prior Wed nite runs and several of the runners who raced in it commented that this course is short (they were getting 3.08 to 3.10 on their Garmin and usually Garmin is going to be a little long). It seems that many recorded times close to their PR and if you look at the elevation its not going to be that fast (that is, unless its a little short). If your a voracious eater on the run you could run the Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh (Joe -- have you that? do you know how many donuts you need to down during the race?)

Rob