Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 12/13/2010 (Read 264 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Quite the week for our group last week!  A number of us ran the Thunder Road races and posted some nice PRs, and Rob again put in a solid week and took the gold star, but I think this week I've decided to throw another one in.  Much like the 8 ball in The Swamp, I think that every now and then we're going to see an effort in a race that is worthy of a bit more recognition than just the weekly mileage total.

If you read last week's thread, you already know that Mike's win in the Run to Victory HM begs for a new type of award, so we're giving him the official Charlotte runner's "Blue Ribbon Award."

If you can think of a better way to do this award, let me know.  If you can't, then don't. Wink

NameDistance ▼Time
    CarolinaBlue 56.6 Mi 7:30:40
    Blue RibbonChakaKahn 52 Mi 6:07:48
    Docster 50.2 Mi 7:04:14
    CliveFenster 40.4 Mi 5:48:05
    theyapper66  35.9 Mi 5:56:20
    cpaterun 35.7 Mi 5:28:42
    Happyfeet 30.6 Mi 4:31:13
    old-runner 27.2 Mi 3:45:19
    runslikeafraggle 22.5 Mi 4:08:04
    Lpadg 13.1 Mi 1:49:20

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Are we there yet?

Hey thanks Paul.. but no mention of your impressive grit and determination to finish what you started at thunder and a 25 min PR..

Thanks again for leading the forum which I look forward to seeing every Mon morning. Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

My marathon PR is nice, but pales in comparison to someone in our group breaking the tape in a race.

Paul

Congrats on the win Mike.  Read your race report...was the small guy who was going to run the 1:18 the Dr?  Your race report could have read how you put a sleeper hold on him in mile 3 in route to your victory (I believe he is an anesthesiologist).

Rob

Are we there yet?

Congrats on the win Mike.  Read your race report...was the small guy who was going to run the 1:18 the Dr?  Your race report could have read how you put a sleeper hold on him in mile 3 in route to your victory (I believe he is an anesthesiologist).

haha!! yes he was a Dr., which I felt attributed to his premature diagnosis of the 1:18.. could have been a napoleanic prediction.. glad I didnt beleive it.. sure did light the fire under my butt once I got out in front though

theyapper

On the road again...

A little over 2 miles yesterday and 3 today, all at recovery HR.  Body feels good - only a little soreness left from the race.  Mind is already looking ahead to what's next.  I'm happy.

Paul

Hey Paul, both Pfitzinger and Thunder say there's no rush to get back into training.  Your body sustains a surprising amount of damage from a marathon, and rest the week after the marathon is better for you than those little runs.  I was advised to not be afraid to take the entire week off from running or other cardio stuff, then spend the next week easing back into a running habit (i.e., maxing at maybe 50% of what I'd been averaging).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks, Clive.  I'm definitely not trying to rush back into training, it's been more like "I feel like running a bit" and so I did.  Very slow times, not trying to stress the body too much.  I had been running in the training upper 40s/low 50s each week, but my plan right now is to just run some as I feel like it this week, and then maybe average around 20 miles a week for the last 2 weeks of the year.  That should give my body a good 3 week recovery from the marathon.

I feel no pain at all on these short recovery runs, but I'm open to the rest of the week off if you guys think that's the wiser move.  I'm still learning.

Paul

Well, your recovery may well be different -- you are probably younger than me.  (grumble grumble)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Well, your recovery may well be different -- you are probably younger than me.  (grumble grumble)

But you're faster. 

Paul

But you're faster. 

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Big grin

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

3 recovery  miles in the melting slush.  Fun, fun.

Paul

20:16 this morning.  Huge PR.  It hurt.

Never saw Richard -- I guess the 35* weather drove him indoors?

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

20:16 this morning.  Huge PR.  It hurt.

Never saw Richard -- I guess the 35* weather drove him indoors?

Congrats.  You almost took 2 minutes off your previous best?  You killed it.

I read the summary in your log - loved the jedi mind trick of switching to km vs. miles!  Good kick at the end, too, which I'm sure was even more enjoyable because you left a 20-something in your wake.  Big grin

Just out of curiosity, what is your max HR?  I can't imagine running those paces and my HR data being as low as yours was.  Will I see that happen as I run more or are you just a freak? (I mean that in a very nice way)

Paul

under a rock

I did a long run on the Ridgeline trail today. Wasn't expecting snow but I got to run in plenty of it mixed with sleet. That didn't start until about 5 miles. It was good fun until just before 10 miles then it was just making me wet and did nothing for traction up hill on leaf covered trails. Luckily I brought my camera today and got lots of pictures. It was so peaceful out there. I actually saw three other trail runners and even more hikers. Most everyone seemed to be excited about the snow, except one hiker.