Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11/1/2010 (Read 258 times)

old-runner

Saw Richard's and Mike's results,  Mike, nice even splits.  Richard looks like had a tougher time.

Haha... yep, I was running on the Shashi-by-proxy injury plan. Did great until I hit the wall at about 19 miles or so. Not so much after that. Haile and I decided to retire from marathons after that. I did beat him though.

Re Rob's question about wearing orthotics, no I don't wear any support. In fact I may have overdone it the other way by running in very light and differently built Saucony Kinvara's which have a lower heel and a thicker forefoot than other shoes (i.e. a flatter profile).  Keeping them on the shelf until the marathon.  

Richard, still a gutsy effort to finish after hitting the wall.  

My longest run has been 17.5 miles a couple of times and it's been a while since that, so all I am aiming for now is finish and hopefully under 4:30, had dreams of around 4:00 until my last 2 races (15 K and the half) which did not go so well. 

under a rock

Congrats to our NYC marathon runners!

Richard, I'm impressed with your time, especially with the problems you had leading up to it. Are you having a marathon retirement party?

Richard, I saw your 5k times sliding and hoped it was just traffic, hills or something.  Glad you managed to bring it home without losing too much -- you even picked it up from 35k-40k!

Mike, I was watching your even 5k splits with fingers crossed.  I had you projected at 2:58-ish the last time I checked.  That final 10k wasn't kind to too many folks yesterday.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Are we there yet?

Really quick recap of feelings afterward.. to go from 2 months off completely July/Aug to 2 months of limited mileage Sept/Oct with a 20miler & 16miler as long runs.. no real speedwork and highest mileage week of 50 with 48 miles the week prior, no taper except 2 days off before...

I am super pleased.. not injured, feel great walking around fine and stayed super fueled @ all the abundant aid stations nearly every mile.
              Went out fast.. but man, it was hard to pump the brakes.. by mile 11 my legs were hurting and it was a long day thereafter.. 1:30 split.. thoughts of sub 3.. but I knew I didnt have the training or energy and tried to drop a few @ 6:52/mi @ mile 15-18 (1st ave) and quickly realized that wasnt happening.. @ mile 21 dropped it again but by 22 it was 7:25/mi fight to the finish.. 10minutes off my PR almost to the second.. but as you know this was supposed to be a long training run anyways.. with a quick recovery

Overall, pleased like I said, but I don't want to put myself thru that feeling of being undertrained and suffering thru the late miles again.. I know what it feels like to finish strong and what a boost it is to pass people late in the race, much prefered to the "make it stop" feeling I had Sunday.
              2/09 Myrtle Beach, my first marathon 1:27/1:40.. 3:07xx.. now almost 2 years later 1:30/1:36.. 3:06xx.. however this came easier as I am more of an experienced runner.

I know I have potential to be a sub 2:50 guy and am looking forward to getting to work.  Smile