Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 31DEC2012-06JAN2013 (Read 316 times)

old-runner

Long run in the cold early this morning. I'm still thawing out.

It was frigid out there! I was ready to stay home this morning but I started watching the movie "Prefontaine" and about 7 minutes into it I was inspired to race. For the first mile my feet were frozen, and they're still not completely thawed out.

I finished the race in 21:47... 20th overall and 7 seconds behind Bob Nelson. I kind of felt like I could have caught him but I figured if I did it would just make him mad and he'd start training harder.

It was frigid out there! I was ready to stay home this morning...For the first mile my feet were frozen, and they're still not completely thawed out. I finished the race in 21:47.

Richard, I was thinking of how cold it was this morning and whether you would race. I can't imagine how many layers (hat, scarf, eskimo jacket, mittens, etc.). You need to buy a portable battery-operated electric heater and set it up on the side of the start line so that you can be warm for these races.

For those of you who run the McMullen Greenway, got a big scare at the 1 mile marker this evening. Started run in light conditions but my last 4 miles on the greenway from Johnston entrance to the Rt. 51 entrance was in the dark (w/a headlamp). And it gets really dark out there. So I'm running up the boardwalk the goes from before the 1 mile mark. That boardwalk ends for 10 feet of dirt and then you make a right back on the boardwalk. At this point my head (and headlamp) swings to the left of the boardwalk -- I see something on the edge of the boardwalk...and its living...and its an really big owl about 2 feet tall now staring directly at me (and into my headlamp). Scared the heck out of me as I thought it was going to fly at me, and fortunately as I passed it and ran away down the boardwalk it did not try to dive bomb me.

Rob

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

This is true, but I haven't even been able to get him on Facebook. For some reason most old people are suspicious about computer stuff in general... maybe they know I'm on here!

Anybody running the Joe Davis 5k down in Fort Mill this Saturday? I'm planning on it if I can make it out the door in the cold weather. If we're keeping score, I'll just be happy to crack 22 minutes again.

Good morning everyone!

Richard- I didn't realize there was a 5k in Ft Mill yesterday.  I might have run that one at the last minute since I was in Ft Mill.  I did my 10-miler yesterday at the ASC greenway.

Rob- That owl would have scared me to death!  That's one of the reasons I can't trail run when it's dark.  I'm too big of a chicken. Blush

I ran the inaugural Gettysburg North/South half 2 years ago.  There was an early freak snowstorm the day before so the course was under about 4 inches of snow.  I have never been so cold in all my life.  It was 28* at the start.  I put those little air activated hand warmers in my shoes to keep my toes warm.

Cindy 

old-runner

Cindy, I wish you could have made it. Nice race except for the temperature.

I'm thinking about bringing a lawsuit against Clive Fenster and will retain Cliff Weston if he's available to represent me. It seems that Clive Fenster posted my finishing time as 21:48 when in reality it was 21:47.25, which I believe rounds off to 21:47. We'll take this all the way to the Supreme Court!

2013 Joe Davis 5k

I'm thinking about bringing a lawsuit against Clive Fenster and will retain Cliff Weston if he's available to represent me. It seems that Clive Fenster posted my finishing time as 21:48 when in reality it was 21:47.25, which I believe rounds off to 21:47. We'll take this all the way to the Supreme Court!

We have received a ponderous letter from Cliff Weston, an individual purporting to represent Richard Hefner; while the caption and first paragraph of the not-insubstantial missive appear to relate to the matter of reporting of Joe Davis 5k finishing times, the remaining seventeen pages irrelevantly describe Mr. Weston's high-school and collegiate running career and exploits in passages remarkable for their poignancy, their ability to express in equal measure both the teenage exuberance and retrospective wistfulness of a young man's achievements, and -- this last point cannot be too strongly emphasized -- their unrealistic and disturbingly inappropriate sexual frankness.

(It should be noted that the above paragraph is one long-ass sentence.  Seven years of college wasted?  We think not!)

That said, we direct Messrs. Weston and Hefner to 2012 USATF Competition Rule 165.12, which states in relevant part: "Times for races conducted partly or entirely outside the stadium may be published to 1/10 of a second to illustrate time differences between finishers, but only times rounded to the next longer full second shall be official."

We trust that the above responds fully to the 3% of Mr. Weston's correspondence which has not caused us nightmares.  If concerns remain, Mr. Hefner, Mr. Weston, or the both of them, are invited to purse their lips and apply them gently but firmly to our left buttock.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

That said, we direct Messrs. Weston and Hefner to 2012 USATF Competition Rule 165.12, which states in relevant part: "Times for races conducted partly or entirely outside the stadium may be published to 1/10 of a second to illustrate time differences between finishers, but only times rounded to the next longer full second shall be official."

Bahahaha...  I stand corrected and shall heretofore adhere to the fuzzy math of the USATF! I'm not sure if Mr. Weston reads this or not (he may have better things to do) but I'll tell him his services are no longer needed since we've figured out the USATF has a mathematical system all their own.

I don't want to be the one to break it to him, but you may know that Mr. Weston also occasionally runs races. I wondered if he might already be aware of this "1/10 of a second" rule and apparently he doesn't know about it either. I had to go back to October 13th to find a race whose official results actually carried out to tenths of a second but lo and behold, the very first one I found (Lungstrong 15k)  he had incorrectly reported finishing in "1:02:47" but his actual time was "1:02:47.4" -- a full four-tenths of a second longer than reported. I'm sure it just went unnoticed by you, Mr. Fenster, because you can't always check the tiny details when somebody reports a race, and I don't think Mr. Weston was being dishonest but instead was just unaware of the USATF rules.

Official Results:

Official

Reported Results:

Reported

Mr. Fenster's transgressions have not escaped our Sauron-esque eye.  He shall be sternly dealt with at a time and place of our choosing.

(MTA: freakin' auto-correct.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Mr. Fenster's transgressions have not escaped our Sauron-sequence eye.  He shall be sternly dealt with at a time and place of our choosing.

Go easy on him... he means well.

old-runner

Just one final thought before we all get on with matters of more importance...

As for this "2012 USATF Competition Rule 165.12" that you speak of, using the USATF as my guiding force, I will in the future refer to it as Rule 166.

As for this "2012 USATF Competition Rule 165.12" that you speak of, using the USATF as my guiding force, I will in the future refer to it as Rule 166.

Ha!

(Although it may cause some confusion with SECTION II: TRACK EVENTS, RULE 166 (REGULATIONS FOR FORMING HEATS).)

-- Dick LeBeau

Run Long, and Prosper!

Clive and old-runner: loved the exchange

Good news from my Ortho, MRI came back negative and I'm cleared to run.  He thinks its just some minor tendonitis and as long as I don't need to medicate for the pain I'm good to go.  He did recommend I introduce some cross-training, though.  I absolutely love to run so introducing a cardio activity that I don't particularly enjoy into my schedule is going to be a challenge.

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

Clive and old-runner: loved the exchange

Good news from my Ortho, MRI came back negative and I'm cleared to run.  He thinks its just some minor tendonitis and as long as I don't need to medicate for the pain I'm good to go.  He did recommend I introduce some cross-training, though.  I absolutely love to run so introducing a cardio activity that I don't particularly enjoy into my schedule is going to be a challenge.

That's great news Joe!  I had a sfx a couple yrs ago and my ortho recommended me hitting the trails some (just to stay off pounding the pavement).

Cindy 

I've been battling a chronic issue with my quads for the better part of 6 months now, the less I run the more it hurt to walk around after sitting for any length of time.  Once I started hitting the elliptical (which I hate) for the past 2-3 weeks the tightnesss/discomfort has lessened I take this as a sign that it was not really an injury but a reminder to keep some cross training in the mix.