theyapper66 22.2 mi
    Lpadg 22 mi
    alholley 13.3 mi
    jdbrown 10.2 mi
    runslikeafraggle 4.6 mi
    CarolinaBlue 4 mi
    pneriah 3.5 mi

Last weeks' races, events and moments of significance:

• CliveF -- 12FEB2012 -- Valentines Day Massacre (marathon relay, 4legs@1.6mi)(Greensboro NC) -- Goal = average sub-7 pace for my legs.  RESULT = 6:44 average pace, according to the official results.
    • old-runner -- Cupids Cup 5k (Charlotte NC) -- RESULT = 20:31

This week's races and events:

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, That race sounds awesome.  As I keep repeating relays are my favorite race formats although I only ran the longer overnight versions, but when running for a team I push myself harder than I thought possible.

Was the 30 odd minutes  between runs tighten you up. What were your splits. What wast he format of the race was it 1.6 mile loops, or did you have to drive from place to place?  I might run something like this next year.  

Clive, That race sounds awesome.  As I keep repeating relays are my favorite race formats although I only ran the longer overnight versions, but when running for a team I push myself harder than I thought possible.

Definitely.

Was the 30 odd minutes  between runs tighten you up. What were your splits. What wast he format of the race was it 1.6 mile loops, or did you have to drive from place to place?  I might run something like this next year.  

Each leg was a 1.6-mile loop around two lakes in a park near the Natural Science Center in Greensboro.  Same start/finish line, and the exchange zone was just before that.  My leg times were 10:38 (6:39 pace), 10:43 (6:42), 10:53 (6:48), and 10:50 (6:46).

The in-between times were rough.  We didn't plan ahead well, and we noticed other folks had brought tents, chairs, blankets/sleeping bags, even space heaters!  We stood around in the biting cold and wind (a Richard nightmare!) and tightened up.  For me, mostly it was my lower back, and I actually got cramps across my upper back from shivering and just generally tensing to fight the cold.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I'm out of the 1/2 Marathon this weekend so strike that out (on this week's races).  All signs pointed that I was ready to restart on Sat (no pain, could jump, felt good) but after four miles knot re-occurred in lateral quad which resulted in a very painful weekend in my right knee (fr the contracted muscle pulling tightly on the patella tendon). Tear is not healed. I doubt I would have run at Myrtle Beach if I had a successful outcome over this weekend. Very frustrating injury as it is slow to heal and the pain feels like you have serious knee instability. Good luck to Richard, Lynwood and atomno this Sat!

Rob

Bummer.  Heal up, dude.

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Sorry to hear about the injury Rob. I hope I'm not bad luck for you. Seems like every time I see you at a race, within a week or two you're hobbled. I'm not the superstitious type though... hope you're not.

Lynwood, its funny but the jinx word also came to my mind almost immediately when I read Richard's post (your also committing a cardinal sin bordering on mortal sin by posting in the prior week's posting).

Richard, its not that I'm superstitious, but that statistics don't like and its certainly not a coincidence.  The last three races I ran, all where I was injured immediately after, Santa Scramble in '10, China Grove Main Street Challenge in Jun-11 & WinterFlight last weekend, were in fact three races where you were in attendance. So this is definitely not a coincidence, more like a trend, and statistics don't like (3 for 3!). I think my best bet for injury avoidance is look at your future race calendar so that I can then schedule running somewhere else as this will maximize my injury avoidance in the future.

Rob

old-runner

That's true Rob, but rather than think of myself as a jinx I'd still rather think of it as an unusual co-inky-dink, or maybe that those were three particularly competitive races, or even, God forbid, that you might have been trying especially hard not to be beaten to the finish line by a senior citizen. I do remember that we both ran the Runway 5k back in 2010 I think, after which you suffered no ill effects that I know of. 

rossruns

Good luck to all those running in Myrtle Beach this weekend! Hope it doesn't snow on you! Smile

Richard, its not that I'm superstitious, but that statistics don't like and its certainly not a coincidence.  The last three races I ran, all where I was injured immediately after, Santa Scramble in '10, China Grove Main Street Challenge in Jun-11 & WinterFlight last weekend, were in fact three races where you were in attendance. So this is definitely not a coincidence, more like a trend, and statistics don't like (3 for 3!).

Yeah, but saying Richard was at a race is like saying people were breathing air.

I propose an experiment: first, we have you and Richard in the same room together, motionless; then, we have you walking at the same time; then, jogging; then, a temp pace run; then, intervals; finally, a race.  If/when you break, we'll know if Richard's presence is a factor, as well as what pace he needs to be running to induce injuries in others.

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Yeah, but saying Richard was at a race is like saying people were breathing air.

I propose an experiment: first, we have you and Richard in the same room together, motionless; then, we have you walking at the same time; then, jogging; then, a temp pace run; then, intervals; finally, a race.  If/when you break, we'll know if Richard's presence is a factor, as well as what pace he needs to be running to induce injuries in others.

Haha... I'd hit the "Like" button on that if I could find it.

Richard, so even though your a senior citizen your memory is still intact since you did remember we both ran the Runway 5k in '10 (and for you that was probably 100 races ago!). I may have had temporary amnesia when I cited the 3 for 3, but 3 out of 4 is 75% and still in the significant category even though the sample size may be small (although one could argue that the sample size could be larger if it wasn't for you having a hand in causing these injuries and forcing me to miss additional races).

Cliff/Clive (btw, I looked at the results of that St. Valentine's Massacre 26.2m relay and could not find you, but there was someone named Cliff Weston who ran the same exact splits as you, is that your twin or doppelganger?), I guess your disputing my statistical analysis (are you a math major or statistician or more of someone who reinterprets words to one's advantage), but that grand experiment your propose has already been tried in real life 4 times with injurious results in 3 instances (at tempo and race paces). I actually think that in some way, I'm very thankful that Richard has spurned my invitations to participate in our group runs because maybe he knew what the outcome would have been. On the other hand, the one run where you ran with me you did get deathly sick for 10 days (but I did get there late and did not see you)??

Rob

... (are you a math major or statistician, or more of someone who reinterprets words to one's advantage) ...

The latter, although we shorten it and just say "lawyer".

On the other hand, the one run where you ran with me you did get deathly sick for 10 days (but I did get there late and did not see you)??

Imagine how sick I'd have gotten if we'd actually run together.

-- Dick LeBeau

nanxin

This week's races and events:

Good luck everyone on tomorrow's race.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

atomno2

I finished!  It was hard, but that was to be expected.  I blew up around 16, but I honestly think it was me doubting myself.  After the last three weeks, I was not confident at all.  Over all I am happy w/ my result.  Unofficial, 4:41...there is always next time!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen