Lpadg 17 mi
    theyapper66 16 mi
    fraggle 9.2 mi
    alholley 8.1 mi
    jdbrown 4.8 mi
    cpaterun 4 mi

Last week's results:            
    RUNNER DATE RACE DIST. LOCATION GOAL RESULT
    CliveF 20MAY2012  Biltmore-Kiwanis Classic 15k Asheville NC sub-1:05 1:04:18
    old-runner 20MAY2012 Brooklyn HM New York NY top-ten AG 6AG
              beat amlinz by WAVA

1:34:00 (77.88%)

amlinz 20MAY2012 Brooklyn HM New York NY beat old-runner by WAVA

1:14:15 (82.45%)

Upcoming races:            
    RUNNER DATE RACE DIST LOCATION GOAL RESULT
    old-runner 26MAY2012 Belmont Classic 5k Belmont NC sub-21 21:36

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Nice running and racing, peeps!

Richard, that 78% age-grade is pretty exotic territory.

Han, looks like you've found your legs!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Richard,

what happened to you over the first two miles (more so 1st mile) at the Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon. Your first mile was atypically (slow) for you (did the medicine not kick in and another personality emerge briefly)? Or did you stop at a couple of hot dog and falafel carts in the beginning to sample the local cuisine?  Your AHR was well below your goal range. You ran consistently strong after mile 2 and finished nicely?? 

Rob

old-runner

The reason that my first mile was so slow was because it took me a minute and 12 seconds to get to the starting mat because there were probably a thousand people ahead of me. It was mostly just a slow jog or just walking until I got there. I turned my watch on when the horn blew. There were a lot of runners (14,000+) and I talked to one guy who said it took him more than 9 minutes to reach the starting line. I was assigned to the 2nd corral out of maybe 10 or 12 corrals but had come to the race with my daughter's friend who I had started with a couple years ago. This year though she was assigned to the 3rd corral and I decided to go back and start with her. It didn't make a lot of difference really. Apparently they go by chip time only since they didn't even post the gun time results so the 1:12 lost time at the start didn't hurt me.

old-runner

Put me down for two races this weekend...

Race #1 -- Belmont Classic 5k -- As far as a goal I'd like to finish in less than 21 minutes. If any of you sub-20 guys want to find a race to cherry-pick, this might be a possibility. There have been some fast winning times in the past but it seems to be getting slower every year. I don't have a chance at 21:00 or so, but a good possibility for somebody who can run 19:45 or thereabouts...

http://www.cityofbelmont.org/Departments/PoliceDepartment/BelmontClassic5K.aspx

Race #2 -- The Cotton Row Run 10k in Huntsville, Alabama on Monday (Memorial Day) -- This is the last race of the Running Journal Grand Prix series but since I'm in a new age group my results don't really matter. I'd like to run it in under 45:00 though. Last year it was about 80 degrees at the start of the race. Depending on who else runs I'll either win the 55-59 age group or Grand Masters for the season. 

I've got a huge lead in the age group so that's assured unless I get the GM...

http://running.net/male-55-59

I'm leading the Grand Masters by 75 points and if the 2nd place guy shows up he'll kill me and take the GM title. He's 53, lives in Huntsville, has about a half dozen Alabama state records and still runs something like a 35-minute 10k...

http://running.net/male-grand-masters

The good news for me is that he hasn't registered yet for the race. He's probably waiting to surprise me.

Cliff/Clive (and anyone else),

I've "re-progressed" (had a set-back to my left quad for the past 4 weeks) back to where I started running the group runs, and your invited to the Wed run (next Wed evening, 6:30pm start) in Dilworth originating fr Charlotte Running Company. Tonite Lynwood was in attendance along w/about 14 others. There are two "options" to choose from now. There is the 4/6/8 mile option (I and some others usually go 6 or 7.5). And now Lynwood has "corrupted" (he'll say "co-opted") the run where he and his "minions" peel off after 3/4 of mile and then run up to the Dilworth Speed Loop and run intervals (along Dilworth West to Dilworth East where its a marked course). Now they say they do 1/4's or 1/2's, although tonite apparently I sneaked up on them as they were "hiding" (standing) behind a dumpster on the corner of East and Dilworth West in the parking lot of the PNC bank (the start line) drinking beers (see Charlotte Runners has a strictly non-alcoholic policy during a run).

Richard,

can GCR offer such an amenity on your Tuesday nite speed work session at the Belmont Abbey track?

Rob

old-runner

Richard,

can GCR offer such an amenity on your Tuesday nite speed work session at the Belmont Abbey track?

Probably not... We don't have a dumpster that I'm aware of.

Probably not... We don't have a dumpster that I'm aware of.

But there are bushes to duck behind.  

And I have to call out Richard on the sandbagging for the first 4 repeats on Tuesday. Excuse was he just ran a Half Marathon and is sore, then he goes on to smoke the rest of us pretenders the last 4 repeats.  I believe those were 5:40 pace or faster.

old-runner

But there are bushes to duck behind.  

And I have to call out Richard on the sandbagging for the first 4 repeats on Tuesday. Excuse was he just ran a Half Marathon and is sore, then he goes on to smoke the rest of us pretenders the last 4 repeats.  I believe those were 5:40 pace or faster.

Haha... I actually had a sore left calf and had planned on running easy the whole time, but after running easy for a while everything felt better so I thought I'd turn it up a notch. I did feel kind of bad about it since everybody was already tired by the time I got started, but they should take comfort in the fact that they got the full benefit of the workout and I didn't. 

If it's any consolation, my wife came up to me and scolded me for what she termed "showing off."

I forgot that in Gastonia, its still like the 1960's where people just dump garbage anywhere (probably behind those bushes) and thus no need for dumpsters (I think "pollution film" that they showed in my 7th grade class where it had the Ohio River on fire and Lake Erie as a dead zone must have had snippets of metro and suburban Gastonia chronicled). That dumpster is very well kept though -- very clean, you could eat breakfast off of it, its almost as if it is in a "gated community" as there is a fence behind it but enough room between the fence and the dumpster to allow for 5-6 drinkers (w/a nice house adjacent).

Rob

I will confirm that several were drinking in the bushes, but they claimed it was just water. 

And Rob, I'm on kid duty next Wednesday.  Back to the regular Wednesday corruption the following week.  I guess I'll be on the treadmill, or better yet, I could go over to the Harris Y and run the track, and see if I can find the mean ol' owl that got you.  Rob now has a sign up at the Y in his honor I think.  I'll try to post a picture soon. 

Maybe the boys of Swank town "need" that swanky dumpster for their cheating ways.  Why else would a dumpster needs to be clean enough that thoughts of breakfast come to mind looking at it.

If I was going to drink Beer at a workout, I'd pour it into my handheld, no need for any dumpster or bushes.  

theyapper

On the road again...

Went out for a bit under 5.5 miles this morning.  Must be getting close to summer because I could almost feel the temps rising during the run. Probably time to start getting up even earlier...  Joking

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul