CliveF 24.1 mi
    atomno2 16.2 mi
    fraggle 14.1 mi
    ChakaKahn 8 mi
    theyapper66 5.1 mi

We raced!

RUNNER DATE RACE DIST LOCATION GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            
    Happyfeet 07-08SEP2012 Blue Ridge Relay 208mi BRP NC -- ???
    nanxin 07-08SEP2012 Blue Ridge Relay 208mi  BRP NC -- ???
    Pete.Hu 07-08SEP2012 Blue Ridge Relay  208mi BRP NC -- ???

This week:            
    CliveF 15SEP2012 Run For Green 10k Davidson NC sub-42 41:38

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

The cooler weather was a day late.  Was a warm day in the mountains.  

Leg 3 - 5.2 mi - 43:46 

Leg 15 - 2.3 mi - 14:15 (this was a huge downhill, so I'll discount that I ran faster than my mile race pace)

Leg 27 - 9.2 mi - 1:27:25 - paying the price for that ill advised sprint down the mountain a few hours earlier, lot of walking after a slight strain of my hip flexor when I stumbled at mile 4 ish, stairs are still a challenge.

Shashi,

how did your team fare overall? And your team was "Sad Panda" -- what was the genesis of the name (do you have a team pic btw)?

Han,

how did your do and your all-Chinese fare?

Rob

We had a tortoise and a snail themed name last couple of relays, and we thought another slow moving animal was appropriate. Turns out there is an alternate meaning to Sad Panda, which got us in trouble, because a couple of folks decided to go over the top with the obscure meaning and decorated the van fairly obnoxiously.

We don't have a result yet, finished in 31:15 a 8:50 or so pace overall (212 miles this year). I won't surprised if our team name gets changed to just "Panda" in the results.

We had a tortoise and a snail themed name last couple of relays, and we thought another slow moving animal was appropriate. Turns out there is an alternate meaning to Sad Panda, which got us in trouble, because a couple of folks decided to go over the top with the obscure meaning and decorated the van fairly obnoxiously.

We don't have a result yet, finished in 31:15 a 8:50 or so pace overall (212 miles this year). I won't surprised if our team name gets changed to just "Panda" in the results.

How did you do? Were your legs very hilly (were you sore)?

So at what point did you realize that the "slow moving animal" moniker went out the door? I stumbled upon this -- apparently someone was so horrified at the van decorations and actual meaning that the Race Director ordered the team to remove the decorations fr the van or risk DQ. I found pictures of the van on the web (before the "cleansing"), and now knowing the meaning of the name I can't believe what I saw (the pictures did not include the URL that was written on the van to point people to the actual meaning of the name in case it was too obscure).  Over the top is an understatement -- the 8.5" x 11" poster taped to the back window of the van that is just unbelievable when you realize what the name means, the saying on the placard hanging fr the pet panda, the barbie doll on the windshield, what was written on the front windshield! Your team had to be the pariahs of the 2012 BRR (did you wear your shirts at the finish or did the RD order that you burn them?)?

Rob

nanxin

The race is total worth it, today I still got 100 around emails from teammate talking about the relay, if you haven't done that or any type of relay yet, I recommend to do it at least once.

Flying Foxes was doing fine, the official time is 30:21:15 at pace 8:40 (210.1 miles), and overall 67 of 145 teams. I did total 4 legs, 3 race legs and 1 leg as the companion runner.

BRR208 leg #8

Race

4.6 mi

31:26

6:55

BRR208 leg #20

Race

5.7 mi

42:03

7:27

BRR208 leg #32

Race

9.4 mi

1:06:15

7:05

BRR208 leg #22

Aerobic

5.4 mi

46:45

8:45

Shashi, nice to meet you, also like very much you comment on the finish time: "No body really care after it finished!" this is so true.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

I did not see this van, the van I was in had no marking. When I saw the shirt I decided not to wear it. Others did. Any way personally I think these guys went too far and that's all I am going to say. There were other over the top team names, but they did not scream for the same attention. All in all bad judgement on my part in sticking with the team name after I learnt of the alternate meaning.

Han,

I know that one revise history here (i.e., go back to prior post and delete something out of it) but not sure if one can delete history here (i.e., completely delete your post?).

Clive,

are you planning on racing this Sat (the 1/2 marathon)? Have you recovered? btw, did they test you for West Nile -- your symptoms were so severe and several people in/around Charlotte have tested positive for West Nile.

Rob

I got a comp entry into the Run For Green (Davidson), but I can't decide what to do:

• run the HM at marathon-pace with ~3-5mi preceding it; or
                    • race the 10k (getting about 10mi for the day).

I'm not feeling particularly prepared for Richmond right now -- I haven't run longer than 15.n in the last 3 months, and I've only gone over 12mi four times in that span.  But you can't just cram long runs into the plan and have things pan out (and escape injury).  And I hate to enter a race and not actually race it.  So I'm leaning toward racing the 10k and then going long-n-easy SUN, as a kind of Hansons-like work-hard-SAT-and-be-tired-for-a-less-than-20-miler-SUN kind of deal.

^^^ Stream of consciousness, baby! ^^^

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

So the hay is not in the barn...not a very good feeling in terms of preparation. If you need a long run this weekend and given that your committed to Richmond, wouldn't the logical choice (in terms of your overall strategy) be to get a long run over the weekend regardless of whether it happens to be a race (that you can't really "race" per se) -- since the key now is get some bona fide long runs in (of which running the 1/2 tomorrow + some prior/post = a good solid long run to give some sold foundation and confidence going into Richmond)? Of course I'm not trying to be critical of your plan. This at least would give you "some hay" in that barn that you could possibly build upon over the next two to three weeks?

Rob

Ha! I decided on the 10k! I'm still getting over the cold, and I just didn't wnt to risk the blow to my confidence if the MP-LR didn't go well. The RFG HM course is pretty hilly, too -- very unlike Richmond. I figured I'd try to have a good race, then go semi-long tomorrow on tired legs. Plus, I'd like to race in Davidson and NOT end up in the ER. Second try ...

-- Dick LeBeau

How did everyone do this morning?

Cliff, why are you following the advice of three brothers who are goons and play with toy trucks (now I have to be critical of your training plan)?

So I'm leaning toward racing the 10k and then going long-n-easy SUN, as a kind of Hansons-like work-hard-SAT-and-be-tired-for-a-less-than-20-miler-SUN kind of deal.

Rob

Cuz they're dreamy.

-- Dick LeBeau