Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 21-27JAN2013 (Read 15 times)

old-runner

I have to admit that I'm a wimp. I've been on the TM all week. I hate being cold.

Cindy, I like you... You sound like my kind of people!

Went out for my first run yesterday since the calf injury and was so happy to be able to run nice and easy with no pain...

until I had gotten .8 miles.  Felt the pain starting, stopped, turned around and walked back to the car.

Ouch Paul! Sorry to hear that. I think it's wise not to try to "run through the pain" as a lot of people try to do.

You may want to look into having someone do some ART and Graston on your calf while it heals to help keep the scar tissue from making your calf too tight. Otherwise you may just continue to re-injure your calf each time you try to start back. I wish I had had the ART and Graston done much sooner after my injury. I'm pretty sure I would have recovered much better. I took an original 6 weeks off only to strain it again a month after starting back running. That time I had the ART and Graston done and it made all the difference when I started back.

+1.  I had that stuff done when I injured my Achilles (and possibly soleus) in FEB2011.  I like to think it helped.

When I had a calf strain back in summer 2009, I just took 3-4 weeks off from running and then eased back into it.  No problems since.  But the strain was fairly minor, I believe.  I've been told that failing to have a calf strain heal properly leaves it susceptible to reinjury.  The Graston and especially ART help the new fibers orient/align correctly, so the stretchiness goes back to normal.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Went out for my first run yesterday since the calf injury and was so happy to be able to run nice and easy with no pain...

until I had gotten .8 miles.  Felt the pain starting, stopped, turned around and walked back to the car.

Crap.

Paul, sorry to hear. I agree w/Clive and Ashley regarding ART (or possibly Graston). What I do and would recommend when coming back with an injury caused by impact is that once your able to walk w/out pain, do fast walking for 20 - 30 minutes (with light shoes) for a couple of days as the next test (vs. jogging or running for 15 - 20 minutes). Fast walking is an "interim step" and not as harsh to your body in terms of impact as jogging/running. More importantly, if you do have a setback from fast walking, you won't be set-back the five days or week (or more) from a jog/run that goes sour.

Rob

CarolinaBlue... Sorry you won't be able to make it. I've seen your speed workout times and it's obvious you could have exacted some revenge on me. I would like to think that just the thought of being in a race with me wouldn't have caused your injury but I guess we'll never know. There's always next year, or at least we hope so.

Richard, after seeing tonite's weather forecast I'm now holding out the faint hope that the race could be re-scheduled. And I tried to "prime that pump tonite. At our Wed nite group run, as Lynwood was finishing his 8 miler (or was it 4?) he had a quizzical look on his face as he looked over as I was doing my "sleet/freezing rain dance" (learned from an elective class taken at college). If the forecast holds, it sleets/freezing rain into Friday evening, and the temperatures are expected to be below freezing that night (low twenties), and Sat the high is expected to be only 37 so it will be below freezing in Salisbury in the morning (so I would guess driving there will not be fun and that parts of the course may be too treacherous).

My left Achilles felt a lot better tonite since I taped it. Your stalking my log? At least your not "outing me" like Clive Fenster when Clive Fenster was in the Witness Protection Program and you were able to figure out his (Cliff's) real identity. I think I'm in decent interval shape but missed being able to run tempos (the latter a key ingredient).

Rob

old-runner

Richard, after seeing tonite's weather forecast I'm now holding out the faint hope that the race could be re-scheduled. And I tried to "prime that pump tonite. At our Wed nite group run, as Lynwood was finishing his 8 miler (or was it 4?) he had a quizzical look on his face as he looked over as I was doing my "sleet/freezing rain dance" (learned from an elective class taken at college). If the forecast holds, it sleets/freezing rain into Friday evening, and the temperatures are expected to be below freezing that night (low twenties), and Sat the high is expected to be only 37 so it will be below freezing in Salisbury in the morning (so I would guess driving there will not be fun and that parts of the course may be too treacherous).

My left Achilles felt a lot better tonite since I taped it. Your stalking my log? At least your not "outing me" like Clive Fenster when Clive Fenster was in the Witness Protection Program and you were able to figure out his (Cliff's) real identity. I think I'm in decent interval shape but missed being able to run tempos (the latter a key ingredient).

I just looked at the forecast for Saturday morning in Salisbury and they're calling for a low of 22 degrees on Saturday. That's not good news for me. I tend to slow down if it's under 50 degrees, and if it's 22 degrees I do that molasses run like when I'm in a dream and can't get away from that guy with the butcher knife.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm stalking your log but after I mentioned that I beat you last year I thought I'd better take a look at it to see how your training was going. When I saw that you recently ran 4 miles at a 6:25 pace I thought that calling you out might have not been the best idea I've ever had since I'd most likely be about 30 seconds per mile behind you so by the time I finished, 2 or 3 minutes later,  you'd probably be up at the gym warming up your giant toes.

But with the jinx factor, ya never know... that's why we line up and actually run the race.

Sorry to hear of your injury Paul. I've dealt with my calf issue for a long time myself so I understand the frustration. I will add a 4th nod to the ART treatment. I probably wouldn't be running today with out learning about it. It took me about 5 visits before I realized I could do a decent treatment on myself and keep running.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm stalking your log but after I mentioned that I beat you last year I thought I'd better take a look at it to see how your training was going. When I saw that you recently ran 4 miles at a 6:25 pace I thought that calling you out might have not been the best idea I've ever had since I'd most likely be about 30 seconds per mile behind you so by the time I finished, 2 or 3 minutes later,  you'd probably be up at the gym warming up your giant toes.

I did another sleet/freezing rain dance this morning. I was j/k about log stalking. What you saw was actually an interval set -- 4 x [.82 mile at 5k and 300m at mile pace with recovery in between both]. When I aggregate interval workouts, I will aggregate the intervals separate from the recovery (so I get a true measure of the effort and distance, as these are key stats in how I gauge the overall stress level of an interval set).

Rob

old-runner

Well, I went to the Winter Flight but chickened out of running it because of all the ice. I'm not big on broken hips or face plants. Of course a day later I regret my decision.

On the bright side, they mentioned me in the Salisbury newspaper. I was kind of glad they didn't mention that 89-year-old Margaret Hagerty ran the race despite the weather.

http://www.salisburypost.com/article/20130127/SP01/130129741/winter-flight-draws-crowd-despite-chilly-weather-ice

Well, I went to the Winter Flight but chickened out of running it because of all the ice. I'm not big on broken hips or face plants. Of course a day later I regret my decision.

On the bright side, they mentioned me in the Salisbury newspaper. I was kind of glad they didn't mention that 89-year-old Margaret Hagerty ran the race despite the weather.

http://www.salisburypost.com/article/20130127/SP01/130129741/winter-flight-draws-crowd-despite-chilly-weather-ice

I read this last nite. How bad were the conditions as in the article they seem to minimize things? There was a photo of the start and one could see ice present along the road as if someone cut out a narrow path. Was the track clear of ice as one really cannot shovel that w/out destroying the track (and I think salting would also cause damage to the synthetic surface)?

Rob

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

I wish I had chickened out of my race but I actually drove to Columbia and attempted to run it.  It was cold and miserable, I won't lie.  I also did face plant at about mile 3.  At least it was the soft dirt and the only injury seems to be my shoulder.  I wanted to go sub 2hr on this 10 miler but it wasn't happening.  I missed it by 9 measly seconds.  The course was advertised as flat and fast for a trail run.  I think I ran the wrong race because it definitely wasn't a flat/fast course.

Cindy 

old-runner

Ouch Cindy... That sounds rough! I have this fear of one day falling flat on my face in a race. I figure it's likely to happen sooner or later but the later the better as far as I'm concerned.

Rob... I think once you got past the start it wasn't so bad according to everybody I talked to. Bobby Aswell said it was good in about 90% of the areas and icy in 10%, which seem like quite a bit of ice. Times were slower than usual but I didn't really hear any complaints. And yeah, I'm kicking myself now for not running.

The course was advertised as flat and fast for a trail run.  I think I ran the wrong race because it definitely wasn't a flat/fast course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob... I think once you got past the start it wasn't so bad according to everybody I talked to. Bobby Aswell said it was good in about 90% of the areas and icy in 10%, which seem like quite a bit of ice. Times were slower than usual but I didn't really hear any complaints. And yeah, I'm kicking myself now for not running.

Richard, as per the article, at what time did you and Bob come to this agreement (did you two have a "sit down" similar to Tony Soprano and Johnny Sac to discuss this? And did the both of you then hang around to make sure the other did not covertly duck back into the race)? I wear Newtons and could not imagine how scary it would have been to run in those conditions (I was very concerned last year in the rain on the first (sharp) turn onto Statesville Rd. and then the sharp turn you have to make onto the track at the end).

Cindy, I'm convinced that many race directors will tailor (the new word Manti Teo used to mean "outright lie") the description of the course with the words "fast and flat" when the course is anything but fast and flat (unless your from the Himalayas). Charlotte Runway is advertised as "fast and flat" and one would think that a course on the runway on an airport is flat but the first mile and quarter of that race which is on the runway is a 100' climb. The 2nd race I ran a couple of years ago was the Shamrock Shuffle in Rock Hill as it was advertised as "fast and flat" and the first mile we were running down a pretty significant hill on an out-n-back course and saying to myself "and we're going to have to run up this on the way back". Post-race a good number of people posted on active and were very critical of the misleading "tailoring".

Rob

old-runner

Richard, as per the article, at what time did you and Bob come to this agreement (did you two have a "sit down" similar to Tony Soprano and Johnny Sac to discuss this? And did the both of you then hang around to make sure the other did not covertly duck back into the race)? I wear Newtons and could not imagine how scary it would have been to run in those conditions (I was very concerned last year in the rain on the first (sharp) turn onto Statesville Rd. and then the sharp turn you have to make onto the track at the end).

The race started at noon and we agreed to not run about 11:30. We stayed together the whole time, partly because we're friends but also partly because if one of us made a mad dash to the starting line the other was going to also.

Turns out that I was scared to run and he was glad of it, although we both wish now that we had run.

But life goes on... Anybody running the UNCC 49er 5k next week? I'm planning on running that one.

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

Rob- I have to agree with you on this.  I was discussing the course with another runner at the end of the race, and  he pretty much had the same feelings I did about how it was "misleading" on the descriptions.  However, this is the group that puts on the Crowder's Mtn 10-miler so I guess this course was relatively fast and flat when compared to their other courses.

I had to laugh at the Rock Hill race,  my first race here in SC  was in York.  It was advertised as hot, humid and hilly.  Being from WV I thought to myself, "well it can't be too hilly".  I learned my lesson the hard way that day!  I never knew that many hills existed in York!

Cindy, I'm convinced that many race directors will tailor (the new word Manti Teo used to mean "outright lie") the description of the course with the words "fast and flat" when the course is anything but fast and flat (unless your from the Himalayas). Charlotte Runway is advertised as "fast and flat" and one would think that a course on the runway on an airport is flat but the first mile and quarter of that race which is on the runway is a 100' climb. The 2nd race I ran a couple of years ago was the Shamrock Shuffle in Rock Hill as it was advertised as "fast and flat" and the first mile we were running down a pretty significant hill on an out-n-back course and saying to myself "and we're going to have to run up this on the way back". Post-race a good number of people posted on active and were very critical of the misleading "tailoring".

Cindy