Charlotte, NC area runners

Week Ending 06MAY2012 (Read 198 times)

old-runner

I love the China Grove Main Street Challenge -- one of the most fun races of the year! And it's flat, but the flatness is offset by the fact that it's always miserably hot. As much as I love the race, it was my slowest 5k of 2011, and the one that spurred me on to start dieting last year.

theyapper

On the road again...

I love the China Grove Main Street Challenge -- one of the most fun races of the year! And it's flat, but the flatness is offset by the fact that it's always miserably hot. As much as I love the race, it was my slowest 5k of 2011, and the one that spurred me on to start dieting last year.

I agree about the heat at China Grove.  Uggh.

Richard - thought you'd like to know that you were the last push that got me to sign my wife and me up on Weight Watchers.  I got up early one morning and was reading through your blog and decided we should stop talking about it and do it, so we did.  5 weeks in and I'm down 12 pounds and Wendy's down 9.  Never thought it would translate into faster and easier running, but it has.  Anyway, thanks.

I'll be looking for you at mile 1 tomorrow.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

I agree about the heat at China Grove.  Uggh.

Richard - thought you'd like to know that you were the last push that got me to sign my wife and me up on Weight Watchers.  I got up early one morning and was reading through your blog and decided we should stop talking about it and do it, so we did.  5 weeks in and I'm down 12 pounds and Wendy's down 9.  Never thought it would translate into faster and easier running, but it has.  Anyway, thanks.

I'll be looking for you at mile 1 tomorrow.

Yay! That's great to hear!  I don't think I would have ever lost weight in the first place if it weren't for Weight Watchers. I thought I'd hate the meetings but they're really pretty good... not so much for learning (although that's good too) as much as competing to keep losing weight! Guess I was a little competitive even back then! Every time I was tempted to blow the diet I'd think about that weigh-in and how disappointed it would be not to lose weight so I'd keep my pie hole shut!

There's no doubt that you'll run faster, they say 2 seconds per mile for every pound you lose. That translates to 1 minute faster for a 5k and last year that was exactly what I found to be the case when I lost 10 pounds. I'm determined to get back to that optimal weight and knock that minute off that I gained back when I gained the weight back over the holidays.

Last minute entry for me for the Twilight 5K. 23:09 on my watch.  I entered it because one runner friend asked if I was bringing my daughters and wanted my oldest to watch her 7 and 9 year old while she ran. My daughter wants to be a sitter this summer, so I agreed.  Her girls got sick, so no baby sitting required.  And, I was left running a nice run, with a last mile that climbs it seems the whole mile.  I didn't try to kill it, as I knew the climb was coming.  I think two years ago, I walked 6 times, so this year just looked to cruise in.  Had fun though.

old-runner

Good job on the Twilight 5k Lynwood!  And your daughter didn't run? If she's the same one I met at China Grove she seemed to have all kinds of running potential... or at least she looked the part!  

We went to the Beach Blast 5k in Albemarle this morning (about 200 miles from the beach, by the way) and as promised, Paul (theyappear66) offered me a drink of water at mile 1, which I declined. I must have looked like H - E - double hockeysticks out there because we'd just gotten finished running up this huge hill. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. I eventually recovered and won the 60-64 age group with a time of 20:58 and finished 19th overall out of 400+ runners. I think my 5-pound weight loss last week helped me shave a few seconds off what I would have run otherwise.

Thanks Richard. Great job on your race also. I signed up Thursday, and didn't know until mid day Friday that Jillian wasn't needed for baby sitting. So I couldn't sign her up. Plus, she's getting so competitive, she wants to train harder before racing again. Funny. I'm not pushing that at all either. I keep telling her to have fun and not worry about it. The Padgett's aren't exactly speed demons. I ran my first 5k at blistering 32 minutes a few years ago. If she just plugs away consistently, she be plenty fast in a few years. Who's running China Grove? We had a lot of us there last year. That would be a good one to bring Jillian too again. Flat and as y'all said, excellent food afterwards.

I did the Run Wild 5k in Birkdale this morning.  After setting the "break 20" goal in JAN2011, I finally did it -- 19:44.  A good number of folks from the Davidson running crowd were there, including a guy I ran with for the bulk of the race.  Good times.

Congrats, too, to Richard and Lynwood!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Congratulations Clive Fenster! Wow... 10th overall... impressive!  With a time like that you ought to cherry pick some of these small races and you might come up with an overall win. I've been noticing that some winning times lately have been 20:00+ 

So many races... so few fast guys!

Lynwood, I'll be at China Grove... hope a bunch of us will make it out there.  This year I'm going to bypass the slurpee and ice cream cone 10 minutes before the race. I don't think that helped me a lot last year.

That's impressive Clive.  Big time congratulations on that time.  I know you put in some serious effort to get it.

Richard, count us in for China Grove.

Cliff, congratulations on getting  the sub 20.

Now I know what it takes to get there, I had a good workout yesterday myself, 2 X 2400 @ 7:40 pace, and gives me confidence that I can aim for a sub 22 (there I said it) by the end of summer.

Congratulations Clive Fenster! Wow... 10th overall... impressive!

Not that it's bothering me, but ... (a) the woman writing down bib numbers (as backup to the timing), (b) a friend's video, (c) the guy who finished right behind me, and (d) me -- all of us have me passing Ms. Levie just before the finish arch for 9th place.  I'm not sure why they have me behind her in the official results.

I can understand that there was some finish-time guesstimating because my chip was in my shorts pocket and didn't trip the mats ... but that shouldn't have affected the finishing order at all.  I really like the iBungee laces -- I've just got to figure out how to attach a timing chip to them!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau