Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 08-14JUL2013 (Read 11 times)

under a rock

Shashi, congrats on getting out of Gastonia! I hope you are enjoying your new neighborhood.

TWH, sorry about the stress fracture. Best to take the time off now and get it healed than miss out on the great fall and winter running.

I found out this week that I have a herniated disc, below the L5. I'm so glad that a Dr finally took me seriously about my back pain and ordered an MRI. I've had xrays twice in the past over this and when they came clean they just gave me some stretches to do and sent me on my way. I've had back pain off and on for around 15yrs now. It's gotten progressively worse over the past 5 yrs. No amount of stretching was going to make a herniated disc heal.

For treatment I'm opting for a lumbar injection followed up with PT to strengthen my core. I'm so ready to stop being in pain. Usually sitting down is when it hurts the most but this year it has really cut into my running more than before. Turns out that the ITB pain on my right can be attributed to this, as well as the hip and buttock pain that has surfaced recently. I'm nervous about the injection, that will be this afternoon, but I'm also over living with some amount of constant pain daily. My life revolves around trying to relieve the pain these days.

Rob, Cindy, Ashley -- heal up, peeps!

Rob -- my issue seems to be partly a tight R thigh abductor and mostly groin-y.  I'd noticed a small spot there that kind of ... burned, pretty much throughout the day but no worse when running.  I've got an SI joint or facet issue on the right side, too (another legacy from an old injury), it's been getting slightly worse over the past 2-3 months, and perhaps that fed into an imbalance that affected the opposing muscles and stuff up front.

What a drag it is, getting old.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

No crutches or walking boot.  It's a pretty chronic SF in that the periosteum has already started healing. I just kept running and not allowing it to heal (yeah I got fussed at for that one).  I just have to stop running for at least 12 weeks or it will "never heal".  I knew something was wrong because I haven't enjoyed running for the past few months.  I was always dreading the pain in my shin or the possibility of it getting worse.  I just need to buckle down and cross train.  Ortho said I could swim or bike, so swim it is!  I can also do light/easy  yoga which I actually enjoy doing.

Cindy 

Cindy and Ashley, I'm wishing y'all a speedy recovery. Sorry to hear yall are on injured reserve!