05JAN2013

Joe Davis

Rock Hill SC

<22

21:48

17:32;

73.6%

This week:

Joe in Raleigh 12JAN2013 Disney HM Orlando FL have fun!    
    Joe in Raleigh 13JAN2013 Disney Marathon Orlando FL have fun!    
    old-runner 13JAN2013 Race for the Grasshopper 5k Gaffney SC sub-22:00 21:23

17:12;

75.0%

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Joe in Raleigh said yesterday:

Good news from my Ortho, MRI came back negative and I'm cleared to run.  He thinks its just some minor tendonitis and as long as I don't need to medicate for the pain I'm good to go.  He did recommend I introduce some cross-training, though.  I absolutely love to run so introducing a cardio activity that I don't particularly enjoy into my schedule is going to be a challenge.

Joe, not that I think cycling and/or swimming would be a bad way to get some aerobic work without the pounding, but ... he may have meant cross-training as in work to strengthen your core, especially hips, to improve your knee situation and prevent further issues.  I can remember reading studies that showed runners complaining of knee pain were helped significantly by core work and hip-strengthening exercises.  My own chronic patellar tendinitis (left knee) and intermittent sharp subpatellar pain (right knee) cleared up considerably when I did hip, core and glute work for 2-3 months.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Joe - hope Disney goes great for you!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Joe... Good luck at the Goofy Challenge! If it hurts too much, just drop out and enjoy Florida! There will be more races!

Speaking of races, put me down for the Race for the Grasshopper 5k down around Gaffney somewhere. If I can find it I'm shooting for sub 22 minutes 21:59.10.

Cliff,

are you down with the flu?

Rob

OPP!

But seriously, nah -- just haven't had my Garmin near my computer in a few days.  I did take two days off when it felt like my cold was moving into my chest, though.  I had a bad respiratory thing last JAN and don't want to repeat it.

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Got bumped up to 1st place AG today at the Grasshopper 5k down in SC with a time of 21:23. That's my fastest 5k since last July!

Powered by veggies!

Richard, congrats! How warm was it at the start this morning? And did the fog lift or did you run in fog?

Cliff, I think we are all worried about you as you seem to be getting sick more frequently and now that your getting to that age in life where your now much more susceptible in colds and such that turn into the flu or worse.

How is everyone liking this heat (in Jan)? Not me. Was reminded of the summer as when I finished my run, shorts soaked through and felt like I ran thru a lake as my shoes were soaked.

Rob

old-runner

Richard, congrats! How warm was it at the start this morning? And did the fog lift or did you run in fog?

Cliff, I think we are all worried about you as you seem to be getting sick more frequently and now that your getting to that age in life where your now much more susceptible in colds and such that turn into the flu or worse.

How is everyone liking this heat (in Jan)? Not me. Was reminded of the summer as when I finished my run, shorts soaked through and felt like I ran thru a lake as my shoes were soaked.

It was nice... about 60 degrees I think at the start of the race. I ditched my parka and just wore a singlet.

I love how everybody braves the coldest of temperatures without so much as a whimper, then whine about the weather as soon as the thermometer reaches 70 degrees! C'mon people... it's room temperature!

What?  Cliff scared of a cold and sickness?  He might show up at the next race dressed as warm as Richard.

I have nothing to report of any significance.   I do plan on running the 4 mile trail race next weekend at the White Water Center.  I don't really have a goal pace or plan and don't care other than having fun.  Slacker I am.  I did agree this weekend to run the Bighorn Mountain Wild and Scenic Trail Run NEXT year.  Heck, I wouldn't commit to something like that on the spur of the moment for this June.  I gotta recover from Christmas financially, otherwise I might be there this year.  I read the info on the race and noted that a moose tried to kill Karl Metlzer a few years ago.  He still won.  I might be the first redneck to show up with a .44 magnum, ready to run some mountain trails.

Seriously, how hard is it to transport firearms these days?

Congrats Richard on your 1st place finish.

It was nice... about 60 degrees I think at the start of the race. I ditched my parka and just wore a singlet.

Full disclosure, Richard: it was a Polar-fleece singlet.

I'm not sure what's going on with me.  My nose ran like a fire hose every time I went for a run from mid-NOV through the end of last year.  It cleared up, and I thought I'd had a minor head cold and was over it.  Then I was around ~18 little kids on New Years, and a more serious cold came in about 3-4 days later.  It feels like it's almost gone ... except my paces are still off and I still have the sinus congestion.  This morning's run was laughable -- I was actually kind of dizzy for the first third of a mile or so (every time we started up) and felt pretty poor for the relatively low effort.

Tonight's run was better, though.

-- Dick LeBeau

Run Long, and Prosper!

Thanks, guys! Made it through Goofy.  I treated both races like training runs for my upcoming ultras and kept my pace extremely slow. The pain wasn't bad at all, didn't need to medicate or biofreeze until after the marathon.

Clive: I definitely need to work on my core, could feel it at the end of the race.

Hope the week went will for the rest of you!

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

Congratulations Joe!
                            old-runner

Congrats on completing the Goofy Challenge Joe! That's a bunch of mileage!