EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

Age-graded

Last week:

Lpadg 19JAN2013 CRC Trail Race 4mi USNWC, NC na 32:18, 3AG  

This week:              
    CliveF 26JAN2013 FOTI 19.7 Albemarle NC Run strong   (na)
    TWHgal  26JAN2013 Mountain in the Middle 17k Columbia SC na    

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Lynwood,

a little bird told me that you raced this past weekend, at the US White Water trail event. How was it given I had heard that the trails may have been closed this week fr the rain, and that it got down to 22 degrees Friday morning? Was the footing treacherous with ice given the cold? And were the trails fairly hard in sections where there was no ice/water given the weather?

Rob

Rob I did run the 4 mile race.  The WWC will close the trails at 2 drops of rain, so I wondered about the race.  I guess it's hard to turn away 700 t0 800 trail runners.  The trails were ok for me, since I run trails regulary.  Trail shoes do make a huge difference in those conditions and noted that many of my Charlotte Runner friends had a tough time with road shoes.  There was good footing along both sides of the single track so I ran those areas with no problems.  I did see quite a few falls though.  The temps turned out ok. as it wasn't really that cold.

MTA: Forgot to add my time.

Charlotte Running Company Trail Race

4 mile race @ 32:17

3rd place in the 45 - 49 age group

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Oh, yay, I am not at the bottom in mileage anymore.

Was anyone cold this morning??

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

alywheel

Rob I did run the 4 mile race.  The WWC will close the trails at 2 drops of rain, so I wondered about the race.  I guess it's hard to turn away 700 t0 800 trail runners.  The trails were ok for me, since I run trails regulary.  Trail shoes do make a huge difference in those conditions and noted that many of my Charlotte Runner friends had a tough time with road shoes.  There was good footing along both sides of the single track so I ran those areas with no problems.  I did see quite a few falls though.  The temps turned out ok. as it wasn't really that cold.

MTA: Forgot to add my time.

Charlotte Running Company Trail Race

4 mile race @ 32:17

3rd place in the 45 - 49 age group

Hey! I rarely post in this group, since I don't use the log. But I do check in.  I did this race and apparently finished close behind you.  (1st in 30-34 F. It pays to be female.)

I hadn't run those trails in probably close to two years. So slogging through the mud in regular running shoes was a fun  challenge.  There were a couple of cartoonish slips while climbing uphill, but for the most part it wasn't too bad. And a nice reminder to get out there on a more regular basis.

old-runner

Congrats to Lpadg and alywheel on the trail race this past Saturday! Using my powers of deduction I saw that you finished within 17 seconds of each other and alywheel was 4th female overall... nice going! I'm not a trail guy and those times for a 4-miler seem pretty impressive to me. I ran out there through all of that trail stuff at the Whitewater Center one time about three years ago and swore that I'd never do it again. So far, so good.

Who's running the Winter Flight in Salisbury this weekend? It's the RRCA state championship 8k race. I'm excited about it (probably a bad sign) and I'm hoping to break 34:00 this year. CarolinaBlue... seems like I beat you by about a minute last year, so if you're wanting some revenge now's your big chance. I'm going to try to leave my jinxing powers at home that morning.

Hey Alywheel!  I'm glad you posted.  Looking at the times, I remember running with you, and I think we exited the woods at the same time. I had planned on sprinting all the way to the finish line at that point, but that lasted about 25 yards. No sprint speed available.

We run there on Thursdays at 6:30 pm if you want to try night time trail running.  I use two lights and can see fine.  The runs are posted via the Carolina Trail Running and Mountain Bike Group. Once the bands start back this spring, we will have large groups running.

Congrats on your age group win!

Who's running the Winter Flight in Salisbury this weekend? It's the RRCA state championship 8k race. I'm excited about it (probably a bad sign) and I'm hoping to break 34:00 this year. CarolinaBlue... seems like I beat you by about a minute last year, so if you're wanting some revenge now's your big chance. I'm going to try to leave my jinxing powers at home that morning.

Richard, yesterday evening  running Winter Flight was a distinct possibility. I had hoped to run this where I could have gradually reduced mileage (not taper) but the Achilles injury I suffered two weeks ago killed any chance of doing that. I was able to build mileage back up and yesterday's workout went pretty good. And I've had to tape my leg each day. Today, I thought the injury was behind me so I did not tape . However, after today's run I could feel some swelling in there which is not a good sign. Then again, it was very cold tonite (37 degrees) so it could be the cold (and the forecast for Sat morning is ~30 degrees). In addition, I ran some of last nite's workout without orthotics (which could have stressed my Achilles) which makes a huge difference for me in terms of shoe weight (when I run w/out orthotics, generally I can run 5 seconds per mile faster at the same effort). I did not want to run a race w/orthotics because of this. Last year when I ran Winter Flight I was injured (turned out to be a stress fracture of right femur which then forced me out for up to four months) and I don't want to do that again.

Btw, to answer Tar Heel Mom, it was cold this evening! Who is braving the weather outside and who is slinking back inside to run on a treadmill??

Rob

Damn the cold weather, full speed ahead!

Rob, sorry to hear the Achilles is shelving your race plans for now.  But yeah, an abundance of caution isn't a bad thing ... given the alternative.

I'm skipping Winter Flight for FOTI, but I may run The Village 10k in Waxhaw the following weekend.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

CarolinaBlue... Sorry you won't be able to make it. I've seen your speed workout times and it's obvious you could have exacted some revenge on me. I would like to think that just the thought of being in a race with me wouldn't have caused your injury but I guess we'll never know. There's always next year, or at least we hope so.

In regards to the cold weather, my running group was full steam ahead last night at the track for our speed work session. I of course opted unabashedly for the warm confines of the treadmill at the gym. Toughness, as you know, is not one of my virtues, but I'll be out there kicking and screaming Saturday morning in my Eskimo suit.

I'm boycotting The Village 10k/5k in Waxhaw because they're only going 1-deep in their age groups. I realize it's not all about getting an award and I couldn't care less about most of the 2-dollar trophies or whatever the award is, but it's just the principle of showing some respect to the runners who come out on a freezing day in the middle of the winter.

under a rock

I will be heading out and braving the cold after I drop my son off at preschool. There is no treadmill option for me. Plus I'd rather be a bit cold while running than wilting like a flower in the heat.

Had to double up on the gloves for the track workout last night.  For some reason my fingers (sometimes toes even with Socks and shoes) and ears get painfully cold, while I may be sweating during the run.  Had a good workout, 3 X 7 min at near 10K pace with 3 min recovery.  Got the pace nailed, need to eliminate the slight slowdown during the middle of the workout.

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

I have to admit that I'm a wimp. I've been on the TM all week. I hate being cold. I would even consider not running my race this weekend, but I'm meeting up with another SC runner that I can't wait to meet in person! I'm just going to treat the race like a long run and enjoy a change of scenery.

Cindy 

theyapper

On the road again...

Went out for my first run yesterday since the calf injury and was so happy to be able to run nice and easy with no pain...

until I had gotten .8 miles.  Felt the pain starting, stopped, turned around and walked back to the car.

Crap.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

Went out for my first run yesterday since the calf injury and was so happy to be able to run nice and easy with no pain...

until I had gotten .8 miles.  Felt the pain starting, stopped, turned around and walked back to the car.

Crap.

Sorry about your calf. I know how frustrating it can be since I had that soleus injury and they pretty much act the same way. Mine took 6 months to get over.

You may want to look into having someone do some ART and Graston on your calf while it heals to help keep the scar tissue from making your calf too tight. Otherwise you may just continue to re-injure your calf each time you try to start back. I wish I had had the ART and Graston done much sooner after my injury. I'm pretty sure I would have recovered much better. I took an original 6 weeks off only to strain it again a month after starting back running. That time I had the ART and Graston done and it made all the difference when I started back.