Charlotte, NC area runners

Fortnight of 28OCT-10NOV 2013 (Read 13 times)

Running (21OCT-03NOV):

Pete.Hu 120.8 mi
    Joe in Raleigh 105.0 mi
    CarolinaBlue 98.7 mi
    Happyfeet 93.9 mi
    amlinz 92.8 mi
    asdg123 90.3 mi
    SForrester 85.4 mi
    NHLA 83.5 mi
    nanxin 73.0 mi
    CS_2013Savannah 70.0 mi
    old-runner 61.7 mi
    laurabs24 60.0 mi
    Tar Heel Mom 59.2 mi
    Lpadg 45.9 mi
    alholley 45.2 mi
    TWHgal 13.9 mi
    theyapper66  12.6 mi
    fraggle 11.3 mi
    Strick 10.1 mi
    CliveF  5.0 mi

Last fortnight:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result
    nanxin OCT26 OCCAAF 5km Charlotte NC 19:59 19:50, baby!
    old-runner OCT27 Spooky Sprint 5km Salisbury NC [not given] 20:32, 1Master!

This week:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Hey, speaking of races... I had an all-time 10-mile PR at the Spencer Mountain 10-Miler Saturday -- 1:10:50 (7:05 pace). That beat my old PR that was set back in 2009 when I was just a young'un of 57!

Congrats Richard.  Great race on what I hear is a tough 10 miles.

old-runner

Thanks Lynwood! It's a pretty tough course, but the first 5 miles are practically flat. Huge hills in the second half but they're kind of offset by some long downhill sections.

It was nice to get a PR but it was actually just the third 10-miler I've ever run since it's an oddball distance for a race.

Next week I'm running a race where the climate is much more suitable to me...

http://808racehawaii.com/races/21k/

Richard,

congrats on the PR/PB.  Good luck in Hawaii. Your going to miss the brisk weather forecast for here at the end of the week.  Is a team bringing you as a "ringer fr the Mainland" for the race?

Rob

THM, congrats on your 1/2 marathon PR at Thunder Road!

Rob

Congrats Tar Heel Mom!  Sounds like a great PR on a tough course!

Did anyone run the South Pk Turkey Trot? I drove thu there on my way to the airport Thur morning. It looked like the course went all of the way up Colony (fr Runnymeade) since there were cones out the length of Colony along w/vehicles that were parked where the race marshals were trying to keep warm prior to the race. Did they change the course (was it well short of 8k)?

Rob

old-runner

I missed the South Park Turkey Trot this year for the first time in five years. I haven't heard it was short but you generally hear a lot more about it when a course is long.

Tonight is the inaugural ChristmasTown 5k in McAdenville under the Christmas lights. Should be interesting. Anybody besides me running it? I ran the course last week one day and it's a nightmare... nothing but big hills. Definitely not a PR course but I think it'll be fun. They filled up a couple weeks ago with a total of 900 (700 runners and 200 walkers). Gonna be crowded.

I ran the Turkey Trot as a fun run this year. The CRC website says there are some slight deviations but I can't tell what they were referring to.  Turning right on Colony off of Runnymede, you go two blocks and turn left on Wheelock Rd., routing through the neighborhood to avoid the Runnymede / Sharon intersection.  Once back on Sharon, we made a right turn right on Colony, taking it to Roxborough Rd, ending in the mall parking lot near Dick's Sporting Goods.

I just checked my GPS watch and it shows the race as 4.85 miles.

Lynwood, I was in the HarrisY tonite and starring me right in the face was a poster for a race -- Krueger 5k Reindeer Romp. The site of your first ever 5k race. I kept thinking that this race has your name on it. You can simply get up in the morning and run over to the start (no driving). Same course, same hill, what do you think???

Rob

Rob I will pass this year on the Freddy Krueger 5k.  I remember every painful step and every spot I had picked out for the ambulance to find me.  I do think they changed the route though.