Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11/15/2010 (Read 203 times)

Well, I've done absolutely zero running for three days.  Hope I did enough to make it to the end of the 5k!

Good luck Shashi, that looks kind of rough.  heh

Hang in there Ashley.  I'm still fighting my issues also, but I've finally found a little stretching sequence that has really helped me.  Sounds like you might be making some progress also.

Thanks Mike and Lynwood, when I signed up for this marathon, my thinking went something like - do the toughest of them all, and then everything else would feel easy.  I was on my fourth beer or something when this thought came to me.  And according to Trent I was the last person to be able to register, not sure what kind of luck that is. 

At least I am getting some nice shirts and some home made pies after the race.  See you all later if I survive.

old-runner

The Santa Scramble is over for another year. Weather was great and I think there were 500+ runners. All three of our RA guys did great... Lynwood had a 5k all-time PR, Rob got started late but still managed to finish 2nd in the tough 50-54 age group, I finished 1st in the 55-59 age group with my fastest 5k of the year (20:09).

Rob had a post-race accident when he stepped on a big rock with his size 14 shoes and twisted his ankle. He was barely able to move his foot by the time the awards were over and it was swollen, but I'll let him give you the gory details. Sorry about the ankle Rob, and hope it's not anything major.

And Shashi, good luck tomorrow!   Carpe simiam -- Seize the monkey!

Are we there yet?

Ouch! No way!... sorry to hear that.. But Richard, saw ur FB post.. that time is sick! way to go man, enjoy your Sunday and rest up for the Turkey 8K. Im off to Disney Wednesday. Sorry, just had to squeeze that in there.. Tongue

Thanks Richard and I appreciate the introductions to all the runners you know. I got to hang out with Richard and Rob for a good while afterwards.  Rob, it was good to meet you finally.

I hit a 22:24 by my watch and was totally happy.  Richard, I paced off you the first mile, just like I said, since I don't have a Garmin.  I estimated about what pace you would run and let myself drift back and hit 7:15 perfectly  I ended up running a 7:14 pace so I guess I ran even splits roughly. That's exactly the pace I thought I should run.  I feel bad I wasn't able to get a trophy like you and Rob, but the 45 - 50 years olds are lightning fast. I stand no chance.

Rob I hope your foot gets better quickly.  Maybe getting ice on it that quick will make a huge difference.

Great race, and a great afternoon for running.

My day today can be summed up as "The Ugly, The Bad and The Good"!.  The Ugly:  I step on a big rock as I jog to my car (100 yds into a 3 mile jog!), same foot I injured 3 months ago.  It turns violently outward, collapse to the ground, very swollen, looks like a sprain (top of foot below ankle) -- back to the pool for me to rehab this (very painful right now).

The Bad:  I'm driving up to the race fr Charlotte, focusing on the race and "space out" and forget to bear right onto I85N from I77.  I don't realize this until I'm in Davidson (I'm saying to myself, "what happened to the Concord exits" and then "h#ly s$*t"). I drive across to Concord (this drive takes forever), park at the Carolina Mall, and take off and run to the starting line.  I ask a volunteer "where is the start line for the 5k race", he points down (about 1/4 mile away) and says "there and they already started" as I see a mass of humanity running off.  At this point I have a choice...I can sprint to the start line (and possibly have a better gun time) or continue to jog so as not to burn myself out and put in a good time.  So I jog to the start line but start to get nervous since when I get to the start line, the police are already allowing traffic to roll thru the intersection (so I have to speed up).  I start my watch, see a wall of humanity about 100 yds ahead of me with a phalanx of walkers to negotiate thru!.

The Good:  I ran a PR [19:39] which obviously is not my gun time.  I weaved thru the walkers, zig zagged thru the kids (prided myself on not knocking down any kid although very close), leaped over a couple (they were spectators for the parade) who had their lounge chairs jutting out "just a little too far" into the road (it was that or take out two eight year olds!), and then ran on the side of the road where they were allowing traffic on to get by the slower runners until things thinned out.

Lynwood, great meeting you and thanx so much for giving a crippled person a ride and helping out in scoring that ice (and congrats on your PR).  Richard, always good to see/talk to you (and congrats on your 20:09).

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

Rob - I read that and thought, "Now THAT'S a scramble!"  Hope you foot recovers.

Good job Richard and Lynwood.  Next year, I'm running it.

MTA: 2 recovery miles this evening to top my week off at 50.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul