jdbrown 22.3 mi
    ChakaKahn 20.4 mi
    Lpadg 16.4 mi
    theyapper66 14.2 mi
    rossruns 8.1 mi
    alholley 8.1 mi
    fraggle 7.6 mi

Last week's race results:

Happyfeet -- 27APR2012 -- Cherry Blossom 5k (Cherryville NC)  RESULT = 25:02
    old-runner -- 27APR2012 -- Cherry Blossom 5k (Cherryville NC)  RESULT = 21:57

old-runner -- 28APR2012 -- Bulldog 5k (Charlotte NC)  RESULT = 21:20

Upcoming races:

old-runner -- 05MAY2012 -- New River HM (Brownwood NC) -- Goal = sub-1:45.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

After a stretch averaging 50mi/week, I took a cutback week.  Kind of weird to think that 42mi is a "cutback" --- that used to be a big week for me!  Anyway, I felt oddly tired on my SUN run and again this morning.  If that's what rest does for me, back to the grind I go!

Paul -- nice to see you still getting time out there and, more importantly, getting your groove back.

Happyfeet -- woof!  Tough day.  There's a 5k out in Huntersville on the 12th -- the Run Wild -- that I can almost guarantee you'll negative-split.  Probably going to be a smaller field, though, so you may not have anyone really close to latch onto.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

If anybody's interested in joining us, Mike DeWitt, the head track coach at Belmont Abbey will be working with anybody who's interested over the next six weeks for a free speed clinic. It's open to anybody who's interested so come over and join us or pass the message along to anybody else you might know who's interested. It's at the Belmont Abbey track every Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. Here's a link to more information on the coach...

http://abbeyathletics.com/profile.asp?playerID=1132

Oh, and put me down for the New River Half Marathon this weekend (May 5th). I'm just hoping to be under about 1:45 this time around. It's a tough half marathon and was my slowest time of the year last year at 1:46Tight lippedx.

theyapper

On the road again...

After a stretch averaging 50mi/week, I took a cutback week.  Kind of weird to think that 42mi is a "cutback" --- that used to be a big week for me!  Anyway, I felt oddly tired on my SUN run and again this morning.  If that's what rest does for me, back to the grind I go!

Paul -- nice to see you still getting time out there and, more importantly, getting your groove back.

Happyfeet -- woof!  Tough day.  There's a 5k out in Huntersville on the 12th -- the Run Wild -- that I can almost guarantee you'll negative-split.  Probably going to be a smaller field, though, so you may not have anyone really close to latch onto.

Thanks, Cliff.  I'm most happy that I've run consistently for an entire month - most runs I've done in a month since last August.  The distance will come with time, but I am so happy at the end of my runs right now.  For me, that's the reward.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

First time for me - anyone have a similar experience? This evening at dusk I was attacked by a bat or owl on the Harris Y trail. I first thought someone had come up fr behind me and was jumping me as it felt like I was punched in the back of the head. The force snapped my neck and i could feel the stinging feeling when your neck snaps. I turned ready to swing, said "wtf", but saw something fluttering, then whatever it was went in again & I felt clawing on back of my head and neck again. I waved my arms screamed at whatever this was & saw whatever it was flutter away. My skin was penetrated.

Rob

Rob, what part of the track/trail, so I know where and when to be on the lookout?

Two Wed night runners have been attacked on Moorehead and Kenilworth.  I imagine it was a very defensive nesting owl.  Now I have to worry about two of my running routes.

Geez, that sucks!  Hope your skin break isn't too serious.

We've been seeing snakes on every run up in these parts, including a copperhead every now and then.  The wildlife are rising up!

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Owls and bats??  Reminding myself to NOT run where you guys do.  I will see the occasional snake, but the only wildlife I have to deal with typically are driving cars while texting.

Nice 4+ miler this morning before it gets too hot.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Ouch Rob!  Note to self: Stay away from the Harris Y trail.

I was running with a couple of guys on Thursday down the Gastonia Greenway and came within a couple of steps of a copperhead that was about 3 feet long. It was right in my path and about 1 or 2 more steps and I would either run over the top of him or stepped on him, neither of which seemed like a good option.

I confirmed today it was a hawk! Which makes sense because they are bigger & what hit me had mass. I heard that other runners along the trail had reported "being swooped" by a bomb diving hawk (but not hit like me). As a fyi for those not familiar with the Haris Y, the "trail" is merely a dirt path along the outside of a big grass area that encompasses soccer & baseball fields. It looks like two figure eight paths & is 1/2 mile per lap. It's not "the country"! Clive, it would be similar if they put a dirt path around that field at Davidson where they have those "manicured" soccer fields. Lynwood - this occurred at the far lower end of the trail (where u make the left turn that after the straight-away where the cell tower, the 25' climbing wall & the sign for the "Glen ??? Chapel/shack in the woods" is. I think you have to be concerned at dawn or dusk as the other incidents occurred during the former and mine the latter. There are kids leagues that play soccer on the field adjacent to that area during the day plus lots of walkers during the day & there have been no incidents.

Rob