Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 1/17/2011 (Read 219 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I had a nice run yesterday that ended up being faster than normal for an easy run, and then today my long run was with friends and ended up being slower than normal.  Kind of a 10 mile recovery run.  Felt good.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Had a good 11-mile run this morning with Shashi and a couple other runners from the Gaston County YMCA running club. 

Itching to run the Winter Flight 8k in Salisbury next week!

under a rock

I did the 16 mile loop out at Kings Mtn Parks this morning with a small group of trail runners. I had a great time even though I felt a bit worn out from last week's PT. I think it's time to end PT! I had no IT band problems at all today, plus my insurance is only covering 6 weeks and it's been 2 months. Now I just want to keep my long runs in the 14-16 mile range so I can stay fit enough to do half marathons on a whim.

Ashley, I love that 16 mile run and when I was doing it it was at my limit, I am sure I'll enjoy it more if I do it now.  The trail is easy enough except for the deep ruts in some places, and too many big hills.  Maybe this spring  I'll get out there regularly,  Do you know if that little group you ran with runs there regularly?  Only issue I see with that trail is no water and the few times I have run it, I did not see anyone else on the trail apart from our little group, so better if done with some company in case of a twisted ankle and stuff.

under a rock

Ashley, I love that 16 mile run and when I was doing it it was at my limit, I am sure I'll enjoy it more if I do it now.  The trail is easy enough except for the deep ruts in some places, and too many big hills.  Maybe this spring  I'll get out there regularly,  Do you know if that little group you ran with runs there regularly?  Only issue I see with that trail is no water and the few times I have run it, I did not see anyone else on the trail apart from our little group, so better if done with some company in case of a twisted ankle and stuff.

There is a new meet-up.com group for trail runners, Carolina Trail Runners.  So far I've been to three group runs and have really enjoyed the group.  Lots of fast runners! I'm the back of the pack so far and am not used to that so it's good motivation.

My friend Kay is one of the assistant orgainizers and we decided on Thursday to run the loop, then she added it to the group calendar. Even with putting it up at the last minute we had a group of 6. Everyone loved the loop, most had never been there before and I was the only that had ever done the loop. The rutted out areas are pretty annoying, it's from people riding their horses on trail that isn't meant for horses. It was a tough day for me since that is my longest run since Oct, everyone else was marathon or longer fit. I hope next time I run it I'm more fit and can actually enjoy it better. We didn't see anyone else out there until we got towards the end of the run but that is what I love about it. It's one of the few trails where you really feel isolated from the hustle and bustle of civilization. I always bring lots of water with me when I hit that loop for run since there is no water access.

I know someone from the group is hosting a run out there again on Feb 5th.

Ashley, thanks for pointing out that meetup group, I've run with Marcus a few times, really nice guy.  Always came back to sweep, for the back of the pack runners like me.