CarolinaBlue 6.0 mi

Racing, last week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

theyapper66 09MAR2013 Columbia SC 26.2mi Columbia, SC    ???
    CliveF 09MAR2013 A+B Corporate Cup 5km Charlotte NC 19:10  19:32, 6OA, 1Master
    Happyfeet 09MAR2013 A+B Corporate Cup 5km Charlotte NC sub-23  23:43
    old-runner 09MAR2013 Gate River 15km Jacksonville FL Top 10AG  1:06:39, 8AG

Racing, this week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

CliveF 16MAR2013 Leprechaun Loop 8km Davidson NC 32:15 33:20
    old-runner 16MAR2013 Germantown HM 13.1mi Memphis TN <1:40  1:34:58
    alholley 16MAR2013 Tobacco Road 13.1mi Cary NC na 2:07:51

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Sure is quiet.  Too quiet ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Many races this weekend, cannot run any of them.  Why do we not have any of them on Sundays like the nice folks up north.

under a rock

Many races this weekend, cannot run any of them.  Why do we not have any of them on Sundays like the nice folks up north.

Because we are in the bible belt. Heaven forbid someone miss one day of church. It's the same reason so many people around here don't do long runs on Sunday morning, it's either Saturday morn or Sunday afternoon.

Sunday afternoon/evening races are not a deal breaker in Winter and even early spring.

old-runner

I'm running a Sunday race this week... Germantown Half Marathon in Memphis...

http://www.germantownhalfmarathon.com/

As far as a goal, I'd like to be under 1:40. Hopefully I'll be fully recovered from last week's 15k and the 600-mile drive to Memphis!

There is the Young Life 5k on Sunday morning -- this is the fastest 5k (of the 5k's that are measured 5k's) in Charlotte -- its run on the Lowe's Motor Speedway and 2 laps around the track (3 miles) and then you finish in pit row.  You would probably run this 30-45 seconds faster vs. what ran the Cupid Cup (its basically like running on a track but this track is 1.5 miles around). This will mark two years in a row where injuries will have forced me to miss this! There is also a marathon relay (teams of 4 where they have carved out a 1.63 mile course so 16 laps) being held Sunday at McAlpine which I have never seen and it will be interesting what kind of turnout they get since I count 8 races in the Charlotte area on Saturday (Clive, this weekend is a cherry pickers delight as if you can target some of these secondary or tertiary races on Sat to target a podium finish or possible win if your lucky!).

Rob

There is the Young Life 5k on Sunday morning -- this is the fastest 5k (of the 5k's that are measured 5k's) in Charlotte -- its run on the Lowe's Motor Speedway and 2 laps around the track (3 miles) and then you finish in pit row.  You would probably run this 30-45 seconds faster vs. what ran the Cupid Cup (its basically like running on a track but this track is 1.5 miles around).

What's the surface camber like for the runners?  I might make a change ...

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

I don't know how the speedway affects everybody else but for me it's torture. I've run at least 3 races out there and going around that speedway or down the drag strip I feel like I'm not even moving. It's hard not to think about the cars that travel at 200 mph while I'm jogging along at 8 or 9 mph. Ugh. I'm not sure that I've been a lot slower out there but I'm positive I wasn't any faster than in other races. 

What's the surface camber like for the runners?  I might make a change ...

The road surface is asphalt, flat and there is no camber (your racing along the "line" which is a flat) except at the beginning (at the beginning they line you up along the side of the track so depending upon where you situate yourself you'll have camber until you "run down" to the line which could be 50 - 200 yards -- its like a "track start" but you don't want to line up to the outside because they do not "angle" the start so your running further vs. the inside). If you examine times of various people in races prior to this and this race, you'll see almost universal improvement (when I ran this in '10, I was almost 1 minute faster vs. the prior week, and there were people who ran that race the prior week who were also ~45 seconds faster & they all said that you can run right on the tangent and this is like running on a track but better since its a 1.5 mi long track).

The other races that are run at the speedway do not start and finish on the speedway -- they usually run only a lap along the speedway and then have you run on the parking lots (which are hilly) or the race Richard is alluding to where you run along the various venues. In those races the field gets "strung out" so it can be lonely -- here, again its like running a track because you can see the entire field.

Rob

... its like a "track start" but you don't want to line up to the outside because they do not "angle" the start so your running further vs. the inside).

B-b-b-but ... you're running downhill!

Another reason I'm thinking of this race is that I get to see the inside of the speedway.  Never been there before, and I've been invited to help drive in a 14-hour road event there in late June.

-- Dick LeBeau

Tobacco Road Half 2:07

Good but tight course. Lack of training but my ego got the best of me.

Congrats on the half Adrian.  Good race considering you weren't running many miles lately. 13.1 is still a long run.