Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 04-10 MAR 2013 (Read 14 times)

Curse you, Shashi and Rob!

(Luckily, I missed GYRIG's window for online registration ... so I can still change my mind.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive had a decent race despite what he might say, I was way off what I thought I could do, however the race felt easier than I remember the others, so I guess more frequent racing (last race was in July) is what I need.

This course and setup is just not conducive to a PR, I expect to speed up the last mile (and I usually do), but this race, running with all the HM runners, that was my slowest mile, so maybe lost 20 seconds there.  Oh well.

Was it very crowded and you had to dodge and weave? And many sharp turns? Did Clive make it through without fainting, getting dizzy, or sick?

Rob

Congrats guys.  Looks like some good racing.

Shashi, doesn't that finish uphill?  Looks like you did a good job for your first race in awhile.

old-runner

Congrats to you guys who raced today!

I had a pretty good race at the Gate River Run 15k National Championship in Jacksonville. Finished 8th in the 60-64 age group out of 294 runners and 653rd overall out of 15,569 finishers (4.2%). Got one of those cool Top 10% Finisher hats they hand out each year. Chip time was 1:06:39 (77.25% age graded score and 53:16 age graded time) with a 5k split of 21:25 and 10k split of 43:46. I might have been faster but I was wearing two pairs of compression shorts, long tights, and a pair of RaceReady shorts over all that, plus an UnderArmour Cold Gear shirt on top under my singlet. In sunny Florida.

Oh, and I beat Bill Rodgers by about 14 minutes (he was 1:20:51). I know... he's getting old.

Congrats guys.  Looks like some good racing.

Shashi, doesn't that finish uphill?  Looks like you did a good job for your first race in awhile.

I guess I need to be happy with the result based on my recent workouts, but was hoping for around 23:00 which would have meant I am back to what I was running in 2011. The good thing about today's race was I was not really miserable and wanting to quit at any time during the race and even the uphill finish did not put me into serious anaerobic debt.  I just need some more frequent racing to be able to run harder.  I am confident I could see a sub 23:00 on the right day.

Chip time was 1:06:39 ...

Congrats, Richard.  Nice improvement over the 1:10+ you ran there two years ago.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Was it very crowded and you had to dodge and weave? And many sharp turns? Did Clive make it through without fainting, getting dizzy, or sick?

Uphill finish indeed, and most of the turns were more than 90*.  Looking at my map, the third mile seems fairly rolling ... although what I remember most clearly was the headwind.

Shashi, if that's your first race this season, and your first 5k since ???, then it was a very good opener.

-- Dick LeBeau