Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 04-10 FEB 2013 (Read 13 times)

Run Long, and Prosper!

PBJ's? For me, whenever I eat peanut butter (fr the container) its very "heavy" and sits in my stomach (like a weight). I can't imagine consuming that during a run (unless the PBJ was very light on the PB). I agree w/Cliff about trail and error but you would have had to experiment doing this during long runs. Do you actually practice consuming such foods on your long runs (do you set up a "banquet table" somewhere along your long run course? how do you get your PBJ's to maintain its form after 10 miles when stuffed in your pocket...I would hate to be the one to clean the pockets of your shorts post-run?)?

On my long runs I do practice eating.  I have an Ultimate Direction hydration pack that is vest-like with 4 large pockets up front that are easy to access.  I usually eat peanutbutter and honey sandwhiches on my runs.  In the bottom two pockets I can fit one whole sandwhich (2 slices of bread) into each (I put them in a ziplock first to reduce mess).  I never eat a whole sandwhich at a time, at most I'll eat a half sandwhich every 60-75 minutes or so.  Clif Bars also work great on long runs and I'll often alternate between them and the sandwhiches.I easily have enough room in my pack for food and hydration for a 6 hour long run.

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

Heed does taste horrible (tastes like flavored alka seltzer to me).  I've always had luck with the Crank e-gels which have a lot of sodium in them.  I also head straight to the boiled potatoes and salt at the aid stations.

Cindy 

Run Long, and Prosper!

some of my friends refer to Heed as "heave"

"Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning."

- Thomas Jefferson

On my long runs I do practice eating.  I have an Ultimate Direction hydration pack that is vest-like with 4 large pockets up front that are easy to access.  I usually eat peanutbutter and honey sandwhiches on my runs.  In the bottom two pockets I can fit one whole sandwhich (2 slices of bread) into each (I put them in a ziplock first to reduce mess).  I never eat a whole sandwhich at a time, at most I'll eat a half sandwhich every 60-75 minutes or so.  Clif Bars also work great on long runs and I'll often alternate between them and the sandwhiches.I easily have enough room in my pack for food and hydration for a 6 hour long run.

Joe, have you ever thought about a side job of selling food out of your pack to hungry runners along your long run? You could be like those guys along Jones Beach and Robt Moses (if any of you grew up on LI or visited the beaches there) who scream "chipwich, ice cream bars" at the top of their lungs on the quite idyllic beaches? Clive could create a shirt for you to serve as a billboard -- similar to the shirt he was going to create for our running association/club here that he said was going to incorporate some Bristol chart or something (he never shared his design though?)?

Speaking of Heed, that instantly reminded me someone who had an interesting experience with a like-product, Nuun, who I bumped into at the gym last night and found out (I'm always the last one to know) that he is Richard's new training partner / running buddy (who runs with Richard, and Shashi, at the Tue night Gaston County Runner's speed workouts at Belmont Abbey.   Nuun had a product demo at our Wed night run about 18 months ago (the summer), and Richard's new training partner, Jeremy, gulped down a bottle of Nuun prior to the run (I had a sip and it was a similar fruity alka seltzer that Cindy related and could not imagine drinking this prior to a run -- and the rep confirmed that you don't drink this before your run), so Jeremy got to about 2 miles and was completely bowled over, bent over, serious stomach cramps (so Richard, if you want to beat him in those workouts bring along a bottle of Heed for him to drink prior to your workout)!

Rob

old-runner

Haha Rob... I don't think there's any danger of me outrunning Jeremy... he's a pretty fast guy.

I didn't correct Shashi the other day but I'm pretty sure I was in back of him -- not in front of him -- at least most of the time at our speed work session on Tuesday. We've got a bunch of people out there (I'd say at least 20 this past Tuesday) so it's easy not to see who is where at any given time but on the several different intervals we ran I'm pretty sure Shashi was ahead of me at the finish as I was ahead of him.

I don't like to (have to) make excuses but the hamstring problem I've had since last summer seems to be getting worse instead of better. My wife said I probably need to take some time off, which of course ain't happening unless I have to. Today was day number 610 of my running streak and I don't want to just rest for the heck of it. I'm still on the vegan diet and feel great except for my hammy but I've noticed when I get to a certain speed it seems like it's about to pop so I have to slow down.

Well, I'm a scratch for Cupid's Cup today.  Partly because I'm not feeling 100%, partly because a crappy week has depleted my motivation reserves (you know, the stuff you draw on at That Point In The Race), but primarily because today is my son's first Pinewood Derby and he hadn't completely finished his car as of last night.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Well, I'm a scratch for Cupid's Cup today.  Partly because I'm not feeling 100%, partly because a crappy week has depleted my motivation reserves (you know, the stuff you draw on at That Point In The Race), but primarily because today is my son's first Pinewood Derby and he hadn't completely finished his car as of last night.

I was wondering why I didn't see you out there today CliveFenster. You're right... those Pinewood Derby cars can be real motivation killers.

Not a great race for me but not too bad considering it was my first race in a month (21:11 chip time - 2nd in the 60-64 age group). Highlight of the race was getting my picture taken with Channel 36 news anchor Dion Lim at the awards... what a babe.

Congrats on the award Richard!