Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 5/23/11 (Read 334 times)

old-runner

Ouch! Hard time for me at the Charity Chase. I did manage to get 3rd in the 55-59 age group at 1:42:15 but I wore my 3.6 ounce racing flats and everything from my hips to ankles got pummeled for the last half of the race. Hopefully nothing's broke but my ego! I'll be going back to the trainers for future half marathons. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Sounds like Hickory was a tough experience.  Congrats to all of you for getting it done.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

atomno2

Yes it was rough!  I did not make my sub 2 goal but I don't feel bad about it at all.  The weather was great and I was on pace to come in under 2 though mile 8.  I ended up running 2:06 something.  Once I hit the park I was done and then that shattered my ego. I kept pushing and then ended up having to walk some.   I pushed the entire race.  My average HR was 186 I believe.  I will upload the data from my watch a little later.  Over all I am stoked!!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

old-runner

Good job on your first half marathon atomno2! There were a lot of shattered egos in that park! It was nice to get to the top and get an ice cold wet towel... that's the first time I've ever seen that. 

Regarding your heart rate, I think you just have an unusually high heart rate. It's probably within normal limits (if it's not then maybe you should have it checked by a doctor). I'm a heart rate trainer too and I don't fit the formulas that most people use. I think only about 80% of runners actually fit the formula and the other 20% are either higher or lower (obviously). My MHR is higher than normal too. I don't think it matters really and I don't think that it helps or hurts... it's just different.

under a rock

Congrats to the Charity Chase HMers yesterday, especially atomn2!

I did my first open water swim yesterday at Latta Plantation. I wasn't sure if it was the smartest thing to do since I've only been in the pool once this year. But that one swim I felt strong. I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did. I had a great time. I went with a friend and we both were similar paces, she's probably a bit faster because she has more swim fitness, but she veers off course a lot so it costs her a bit of time. Luckily she was the only person I ran into. I only got touched once by another swimmer. It was a pretty relaxed event with lots of newbies so the water wasn't crowded or hectic. In fact, when they gave us the go to get in the water the experienced people ran right in and got to swimming. The rest of us mulled around slowing making our way into the water. I think we were all hoping others would get in front of us. We probably wasted a good minute getting our nerve up to get started. I was extremely proud when I reached the shore after 800 meters of open water. I don't know my official time yet, but I'm dying to know since I have no idea what my swim pace is.

The swim was followed up with an informal 5k run. My shoulders were done by about 2.5 miles. (I think tired shoulders will be the norm for the next month while I get my swim arms stronger.) I was so happy to have that run over with. But I knew at that point that I felt confident enough to do the aquathlon in August that I've had my eye on. I was worried that the 1500 meter swim would be too much but as long as I follow a good swim plan three days a week I think I'll be  fine.

atomno2

So I finally uploaded the stuff from my watch. I can't believe the total ascent was 1777 feet!!  Other than that, looking at it now, I understand why I started to feel so bad after mile 8.  Oh well more training!!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen