Charlotte, NC area runners

Fortnight of 14-27OCT2013 (Read 12 times)

Running:

CS_2013Savannah 118.8 mi
    amlinz 115.7 mi
    Pete.Hu 106.2 mi
    Joe in Raleigh 105.9 mi
    CarolinaBlue 90.8 mi
    nanxin 90.7 mi
    Happyfeet 86.5 mi
    old-runner 83.6 mi
    NHLA 73.4 mi
    asdg123 64.0 mi
    laurabs24 59.3 mi
    Tar Heel Mom 54.7 mi
    theyapper66  43.0 mi
    alholley 41.1 mi
    SForrester 40.3 mi
    Lpadg 37.1 mi
    fraggle 28.3 mi
    CliveF  8.3 mi

Last fortnight:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result
    alholley OCT12 Rocktoberfest 13.1mi Charlotte NC na 1:55:59
    nanxin OCT12 Rocktoberfest 13.1mi Charlotte NC na 1:51:33
    old-runner OCT12 Rocktoberfest 13.1mi Charlotte NC Get it back, pt. 1 1:39:44
    old-runner OCT20 Myrtle Beach Mini 13.1mi Myrtle Beach NC Get it back, pt. 2  1:34:28

This week:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result
    nanxin OCT26 OCCAAF 5km Charlotte NC 19:59  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Welcome back, TWHgal!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

nanxin

I am running the OCCAAF 5K this weekend, my 5K PR is 20:01, and I ran that time once in 2011 and once in 2012. So my A goal, B goal and C goal are all the same - 19:59.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

Han, I saw your race poster up on the window of the Charlotte Running Company tonite in Dilworth. Is that you in the picture posted on Richard's blog of you running next to Richard at the Rocktoberfest (how did you recognize him btw)?

Clive, your beginning again (healthy again? what is the weight gain??)?

How is everyone liking these cooler temps?

Rob

nanxin

Is that you in the picture posted on Richard's blog of you running next to Richard at the Rocktoberfest (how did you recognize him btw)?

If you referred to the first picture on Richard's blog, that is me in blue next to Ricard, we had a briefly chat before he left me in the dust. Since I follow Richard's blog, it is a not a big surpprise when he called my name.

Scheduled Races:

How did people do this past weekend (it was much colder than expected w/below freezing temps)? Han, did you break 20?

Rob

old-runner

How did people do this past weekend (it was much colder than expected w/below freezing temps)? Han, did you break 20?

old-runner

I ran the Spooky Sprint 5k in Salisbury and had my fastest 5k in about two years... 20:32. Finished 10th overall out of about 200 runners and got 1st Male Masters... first time I've ever won that!

Here's my video if anybody's interested...

http://youtu.be/94-wiucZghg

Congrats Richard! Nice run.  How was the course?

old-runner

Congrats Richard! Nice run.  How was the course?

It was out-and-back and there was a big hill (maybe a half mile) leading up to the turnaround, but of course you got to come down it so that evened things out.

nanxin

It was cold, I cannot feel my feet for the first half mile. I did break 20 - 19:50. The first PR in 2 years.

https://www.racesonline.com/events/occaaf/results/2013/awards

Scheduled Races:

Han, congrats on breaking 20!

Richard, I viewed that video and it was hilarious. I can't believe how close they allowed the traffic to be along the course. There is that one part where your headed back and it looked like you almost ran into the car (or the cars got really close to the cones). I'm surprised there weren't any accidents since in every race you always have these walkers walking 4 - 5 abreast and refusing to yield. Why put the water station at the turn around point as that is a "magnet" for an accident (people stopping to grab water, and then they move out and you have runners running and trying to make the turnaround and there is not that much room). I cracked up how in many parts I can hear you asking "where do I go" (trying to figure out if the water station is the turn around and what seems like the last 1/2 mile of the course where the course is like "where's waldo"! Was the finish at the same track stadium as Winter Flight or was this race held down on the greenway (finishing on the track down there)?

Rob

Richard, Did you catch the kid?

old-runner

Richard, Did you catch the kid?

I caught the 10-year-old that I was chasing at the turnaround point. That's where I passed him when he got water. He still finished in 21:46. There was another 10-year-old that was up ahead. He finished 7th overall with a time of 19:35 and and he looked to be about 3 feet tall.

Rob, it finished at the Catawba College track just like Winter Flight but we came in from a different direction. I did have to ask about several turns because they weren't exactly pointing out where to go and I didn't want to take off in the wrong direction. Ordinarily you can just follow somebody but I was pretty much by myself for the last half of the race. The traffic really didn't seem to be an issue since we had a whole lane to work with. I didn't notice anybody getting that close but maybe they did and I just didn't see it (and I'm too lazy to watch the video again). I've been in races before where you had to run with no lanes shut down and really did have to dodge traffic.