Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 8/2 (Read 159 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

It's awesome to see so much activity in the group lately, so to keep that Gastonia long run thread from getting huge, maybe it's time to start back with our weekly threads.  Whoever is the first to log in on Mondays, feel free to start the thread for that week.  Down the road it'll make it easier to keep up with everyone!

BTW, nice long MP run over the weekend, Clive.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Hey Paul... Are you running either the 8k YMCA this weekend or the Tour de Elvis 5k next weekend in Albemarle?
      theyapper

On the road again...

I'm still undecided on the 8k.  It's a hilly course and I've run it, and I'm having a hard time getting pumped about trying to race it in the August heat.

See if you can convince me to change my mind...

The Elvis race I hope to run.  Haven't registered yet, though.

Paul

Thanks, Paul!  Just trying not to be too neurotic about the training plan.

Richard, I'm probably running the 10k in Davidson in September ...  Nothing before then, except maybe a 5k time-trial on the track or in the business park.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

The only thing I have my sights set on is Miles of Mooresville on the 13th. I hope some of ya'll can make that.  We usually meet afterwards, at the Brickhouse Tavern in Davidson, for pizza, if anybody is interested.  We had about 25 people for the last race.

I want to knock off a little more time. The last race went well, so I'm going for broke this time.  I learned a little more about pacing myself (with no GPS) on a mile race.  I don't know why I like 1 mile races, except maybe the pain ends quicker than a 5K.

The three mile race, I ran with my daughter, and got to watch her beat her back of the pack competition.  That was fun to watch.  The winner went by me so fast, I almost yelled out, "Hey Richard", but it turned out he ran for UNC I think.

old-runner

Paul... If that's a hilly 8k I think I'll skip it too... I was undecided between that and the Panthers/Blue Points 5k this weekend if I'm actually up for running a race (I think I am). For sure though I'm wanting to run the Tour de Elvis next week unless I have a relapse so I hope I'll see you out there.

Clive... Are you talking about the Run for Green in Davidson? I'm not sure how the 10k is in that one but I ran the half marathon last year. Whew... it was tough. I had just run the Asheville Citizen-Times half marathon a week or two before and thought Davidson would be a cakewalk. I was surprised there seemed to be more hills than Asheville in that race and I was several minutes slower. Beautiful place though and I might do it again this year.

Lynwood... I don't guess I'll make it to a Miles of Mooresville this year since it's the same night as the Tour de Elvis. I'm a little iffy on that 1-mile distance anyway. In every race I run I hate that first mile -- just the agony of getting pumped up and getting everything working. You told me way back that you've always liked the sprint distances and you do well with those. You'll remember I ran that first Miles of Mooresville last year. I only ran the 1-mile race and skipped the 2-miler and 3-miler because I was wore out after the 1-mile. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Heat and humidity is back, huh?

Both my sons are running on their school's XC team, and so I'm helping out in some assistant coaching role.  It means I get to run some extra miles each week and hang out with some great middle school students.  Probably the sort of thing that will really help me get up to around 40 mpw, which has been my target goal by the end of this month.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Hot day today, for sure.  Upper 90s with heat index at 111F last time I checked.  Ran early this morning and have XC practice later this afternoon with my boys.

Drink lots of water!

Paul

Don't forget to humiliate your kids by running around with shirtless.  Unless you're one of those guys who's ripped, in which case I hate you.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Well... I dropped out of the running clinic at Gaston Rehab after 1 session. Nothing wrong with the program but it's just not my thing... don't need all the hand-holding and bedside manner. I just went to Planet Fitness, where I've been going, and did pretty much the same exercises.

The knee's feeling good... just about ready for some semi-long runs!

under a rock

Don't forget to humiliate your kids by running around with shirtless.  Unless you're one of those guys who's ripped, in which case I hate you.

LOL, that reminds me, when I was a teen and my dad had silver running tights! Oh the humiliation the day my school bus passed him running and my friend said, "hey, ash, isn't that your dad?" Gee thanks, the kids on the bus didn't think I was a freak enough already.

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm not "one of those guys," and even if I was, the shirt stays on unless I'm at the beach, which is also hours away from any of my children's friends.

Woke up this morning very tired.  Doing doubles is new for me, and I can feel it.

Paul

I was in Charleston, when I read the "don't forget to humiliate your kids by running around shirtless" comment.  I laughed out loud.  I was visiting my Crossfitting cousin and her husband.  I guess that particular Saturday the Crossfit website called for a 5K run, so I agreed to run with them around their subdivision which is a perfect 800 meter circle.  After two laps chasing them, the shirt went flying off.  It was about 100 degrees and the humidity was terrible.  I swore I would never run without a shirt but at that point I didn't care who saw me or what they thought or said.  I think I saw shutters closing, and blinds being pulled, and the kids went back inside. But, I finished and kept up.  I wouldn't have made it otherwise.

mta: Paul, I ain't that "guy" either.  I guess I was close to the beach though.