Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11-17JUN2012 (Read 226 times)

old-runner

I backed off of the 40-MPW training program for now. I think I'm going to go back and start with 35 and build it up by 1 mile per week. Just had the feeling it was a bit too much too soon.

Just in case there aren't enough pictures of me in this thread here's another. This was yesterday's Rhythm & Run 5k in Kannapolis. Very cool awards except the platinum looks like silver (I think I'm the first one who's noticed that). I finished 8th overall out of 180 runners (21:48) and won the old people age group, which included not only the men but the women as well. It was the first race I've ever seen where they combined the men and women in age groups. The women weren't amused. Toni Cruz (she's the girl on the left) got 2nd in the old people age group and was one of only two women who placed.

RNR-Awards

Very nice award Richard.  That is interesting about combining the awards. Lack of money by the race organizer perhaps?

Richard,

nice award and congrats. Your not wearing your glasses -- how did you see where to run unless it was a well marked course? I can't understand why any race would combine the sexes unless they got bad advice (I've never heard of that (is the organization sexiest or do they run things like the 1950's)? How were the age groups spaced (20 year increments)? Do you really think a 5 additional miles (40 mile wk vs. 35 mile wk) makes that much of difference (I looked at your log at the behest of Clive and noticed that you did a long run on Sun, a workout on Tue, a tempo run on Thu and a race on Sat --> I would think it was the "effort" of 4 workouts over 6 days, especially the 1/2 marathon fr Sun where you were apparently running multiple sub-7 min miles -- to catch up to Lynwood and his group and then pass Lynwood in an attempt to win based upon Age-Grading/Food-Grading/Weight-Grading -- I ran w/Lynwood tonite, and his testimony is that you whizzed by him, he then caught up to you where that picture was taken at the turn-around, and you whizzed by again)?

Rob

old-runner

(is the organization sexiest or do they run things like the 1950's)? How were the age groups spaced (20 year increments)? Do you really think a 5 additional miles (40 mile wk vs. 35 mile wk) makes that much of difference (I looked at your log at the behest of Clive and noticed that you did a long run on Sun, a workout on Tue, a tempo run on Thu and a race on Sat --> I would think it was the "effort" of 4 workouts over 6 days, especially the 1/2 marathon fr Sun where you were apparently running multiple sub-7 min miles -- to catch up to Lynwood and his group and then pass Lynwood in an attempt to win based upon Age-Grading/Food-Grading/Weight-Grading -- I ran w/Lynwood tonite, and his testimony is that you whizzed by him, he then caught up to you where that picture was taken at the turn-around, and you whizzed by again)?

Haha... Yep, the organization is sexiest AND they run things like the 1950's. I don't think the lack of awards was a cost-cutting measure but rather the people who organized it not being runners and not being told that it ain't like music where men and women compete head-to-head for record sales. They ended up with too few awards and didn't find out until it was too late.

I do think that 5 miles probably makes a difference on my weekly running. I've been averaging considerably less than 40 MPW and while I want to get up into the 40s I've got plenty of time ahead of me to do that instead of pushing it. I've been comfortable in the 30-35 range and I have to see how I feel as I go up. 

Right now my biggest thing is I have a plantar wart on the bottom of my left foot and it's affecting my running a little bit. It was bothering me in the first 4 miles of my 12-mile run and that's a big part of why I cut the run short. I'd actually considered it before that just to back off the miles a little anyway. 

I agree that the four fairly hard workouts have added to my woes this week and I'm pretty sure I'll go back to just two next week -- speed work on Tuesday and the Summer Breeze on Saturday. Goal for the Summer Breeze is sub 22-minutes. I'm right at the verge of going back over 22 minutes lately so I'm pretty happy with anything under that (even 21:59).

Anybody else running the Summer Breeze this year? And does anybody know if there are any Wart-Graded Tables available? A Google search didn't help...

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1ASUT_ENUS409&q=plantar+wart&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=MOzeT7STNoW88ASGuaXhCg&biw=1440&bih=781&sei=DPDeT4usKIfk9ASDotWFCw

Richard,  I've been told that one way to get over a mileage hump is adding in doubles.  i.e. a very easy 2 miles in the morning every other day, just to loosen up, and your normal planned mileage in the evening.  The doubles should be run at an effort/pace that makes the evening workout seem easier not harder, this is where I overdo a bit, need to scale back the pace on the morning run (one way to do that might be to not even log/count those morning runs, so not worried about 12-13 min miles in the log).  

Yeah, I got to run with Rob on Sunday and I think he somehow ran me in the ground without me knowing about it.  Rob has a unique Harris Y route or routes, that I can't explain, but they work.  I didn't think we ran those 6 minute intervals too fast. For some reason, tonight, my legs felt like lead, and I wasn't moving very fast.  Well, I guess that's normal so I won't blame Rob.

Yeah, I got to run with Rob on Sunday and I think he somehow ran me in the ground without me knowing about it.  Rob has a unique Harris Y route or routes, that I can't explain, but they work.  I didn't think we ran those 6 minute intervals too fast. For some reason, tonight, my legs felt like lead, and I wasn't moving very fast.  Well, I guess that's normal so I won't blame Rob.

Lynwood,

I think you know that I have tons of "restless energy". I apologize for subjecting your legs to that "hill work" on Sunday on those routes, all 10'-15' feet of vertical climb.

Richard,

not sure about "Wart-Grading"...sorry to hear about that, are you trying to remove it (as that would probably be very painful using the various wart removers that will remove the calluses that you've built up).

Rob

old-runner

Richard,

not sure about "Wart-Grading"...sorry to hear about that, are you trying to remove it (as that would probably be very painful using the various wart removers that will remove the calluses that you've built up).

I've got a doctor's appointment for next week for my checkup and I thought I'd run it by him instead of me whacking away at my feet. I have a feeling my running streak is in danger... oh well...